Sponsored by:

Full PPF On Jet Black Paint Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 09:28 PM
2016mwk4sporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2.5 cents,
I just bought my beautiful black 911 4S and it had some rock chips on the front bumper. I live in Sac so I shopped around and found what I think is the best detailer here. I had him do some work on the chips, work out the swirls and PPF the entire front of the car. This includes everything that could get hit by a rock on the road, front end, mirrors, all around the windshield, and the rear fenders. 1600 later it looked absolutely great. mirror finish all around. I will do the rest of the car with either a wax or a ceramic coating. I enjoy detailing my car so it looks great every time I take it out. And I have found that the PPF cleans very easily. very low maintenance. Its absolutely worth every penny because it will save you from having to paint your bumper or hood down the road. Good luck on your search for a decent detailer and price.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:40 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

Jean Claude, you will find people you can convince and you will find people you cannot. I am one you cannot convince.
I could go point for point with you all night long, but in the end nothing I am going to say is going to get you to lower your price and nothing you can say is going to get me to accept your pricing.

Many people believe that "you get what you pay for" and that the most expensive is always the best.
Best of luck to you and your business, I am certain you do an excellent job.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:18 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

This has now become a debate on why it's ok to charge $10k for a wrap.
The real issue is what someone willing to pay and what they believe they are paying for. I would not spend $10k for a wrap. Is it because I don't care for my vehicle as much as someone who pays $10k? Don't think so.
My shop only does high end cars (McLaren's, Fcars, Lambos, Maserati's, etc...my TTS is at the lower end of the food chains) as they are a separately owned business of the owner of the Porsche/Audi/McLaren/Maserati dealership.
Their work is beautiful and I know I'm paying a little more here for the work. But still I could get a full wrap for around $5k.
In the end it's really about what you are willing to pay for what you believe you are getting.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:10 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
Jean Claude, you will find people you can convince and you will find people you cannot. I am one you cannot convince.
I could go point for point with you all night long, but in the end nothing I am going to say is going to get you to lower your price and nothing you can say is going to get me to accept your pricing.

Many people believe that "you get what you pay for" and that the most expensive is always the best.
Best of luck to you and your business, I am certain you do an excellent job.
We agree on disagreeing VS wasting time. But for posterity's sake, my comments were for observers to form their own opinions with a counter. Not to change your nor anyone else's mind who has nothing to gain from my feedback. A balanced reader will reflect on what's said on both sides and that's enough for me.

Only because it was brought up in a certain way: we do not sell based upon "you get what you pay for and more expensive is better". It's not really fair to infer I use that cliche as a reason to use us. My clients actually like to take time doing their own research on the services offered and who is performing them. As a kind reminder, I said I believe a private owner should always beware and do their due diligence before blindly believing what they're told by any service provider. That includes me. It limits buyer's remorse and is how I manage my own purchases.

Some may attribute the saying to what we do by some measure but it would be coincidental. We sell based upon providing all relevant information to a client, making myself available to them and then they can reach out if they feel we are the right fit for their needs.

Have a good week and I glad you've got an installer you are satisfied with.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:45 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

OP: So, you posted this thread on a Porsche forum with thousands of members all of whom have cars ranging from 100k-500k, maybe more.
You have 3 pages of responses and several PM's. Have you found a single person that tells you 10k is a reasonable price to pay?

We all love our cars. We all have money to a certain extent, so I cannot imagine its a matter of affordability to most.
We could afford $10 a gallon for gas if that's what it costs, but why would someone pay $10 a gallon instead of $4?

Shop around and look for a price in the 5-6000 range for full wrap, paint correction with all badges, handles, mirrors removed.
Templates or non templates shouldn't effect the price by more than 15%. Please come back and post once you have made your decision..

You may also wish to look on the 3M, Xpel and Suntec websites for approved installers in your area. Good Luck
Old 07-26-2018, 08:33 AM
GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 296 Likes on 143 Posts

I was quoted $3700 earlier this year for full car Suntek or Xpel (same for both, but they recommend Suntek. Includes paint correction), plus $900 for ceramic coating, in Miami FL, for my GT3 Touring. They came highly recommended by a friend.

Another place I used years ago for half car now quoted me $7000 for the Suntek or Xpel alone...
Old 07-26-2018, 10:53 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

I agree with post 31. I think its imperative that you do the front. It just doesn't scratch when washing at all and protects from sandblasting and stone chips. . Whats the point of putting ceramic coating over PPF though?. What do we protect the Ceramic with?
Old 07-26-2018, 09:35 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
I agree with post 31. I think its imperative that you do the front. It just doesn't scratch when washing at all and protects from sandblasting and stone chips. . Whats the point of putting ceramic coating over PPF though?. What do we protect the Ceramic with?
I’ve wondered the same, have an xpel front bra and ceramic coating through the rest of the car, figure it would be done under the ppf but I assume the coating bonds with the ppf the same as the paint and provides like qualities.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:59 PM
2016mwk4sporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not plan on placing anything over the PPF although they do say you can wax it or coat it. I think that is a bit much because the Suntek PPF repairs its-self when slight scratches occur. It really is an excellent PPF. I will coat the rest of my car with a Ceramic coating or a good wax because I can do it fairly inexpensively and I enjoy doing the detail work on my car. The entire front end was a little more than I wanted to take on and so having it done was my best option. But the black is an awsome color and I am very happy with how the PPF turned out.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:26 PM
phefner
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 424 Posts

Thats a stupid price...Had my Jet Black 2016 550M-Sport done for $5k. Included the detail, paint correction needed before the PPF, SunTech PPF, and then covered with a ceramic coating. $5K for all that and the 550 is a BOAT standing next to my 911.

Quote I recently received to fully cover the 911 was in the $4K neighborhood.

Last edited by phefner; 07-26-2018 at 10:28 PM. Reason: syntax

Quick Reply: Full PPF On Jet Black Paint Worth It?