Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance mods and warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018 | 09:48 AM
seffeed
Instructor

Default Performance mods and warranty question

Itching to mod my 991.2 C2S but want to ask you guys what mods are generally ok from a warranty standpoint.

I’ve ruled out the ECU tune for now.

Looking at the Fabspeed exhaust kit with headers, sport cats, BMC air filter. Anyone with any issues from dealer or PCNA or is this not a problem? Thanks!
Old 07-20-2018 | 10:40 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

It depends. If you do the mods you mentioned and the engine craps out they would have to prove that the mods caused the failure. Usually, simple bolt-on mods such as a cat-back, air filter, etc. are ok but headers could be a problem. Read this:

http://lehtoslaw.com/will-modificati...-car-warranty/
Old 07-20-2018 | 11:43 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

First mod I'll do at the present, during these price war sales, is to add the X51 Power Kit.
Old 07-20-2018 | 12:05 PM
usccharles
Pro

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
First mod I'll do at the present, during these price war sales, is to add the X51 Power Kit.

+1
Old 07-20-2018 | 12:21 PM
phx991
Racer

Under federal law, your warranty cannot be voided, nor can the dealer refuse to repair the vehicle under warranty, simply because it has been modified with aftermarket parts, unless the modification caused the problem.

Google Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act
Old 07-20-2018 | 12:36 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by phx991
Under federal law, your warranty cannot be voided, nor can the dealer refuse to repair the vehicle under warranty, simply because it has been modified with aftermarket parts, unless the modification caused the problem.

Google Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act
That's not exactly what the act says, although that is frequently said about the act. Plus, it's going to be a lot easier for Porsche to substantiate their position that a non Porsche performance enhancing part caused an engine related problem than it is for an owner to prove it didn't. Plus, you're going to have to take them to court to win your case. PCNA will simply deny the claim, and if you want to challenge their position, you're going to have to lawyer up and get you some "expert" witnesses to go against their engineers that designed the car. Remember, it's PCNA that provides the warranty, not the dealer. PCNA is getting very strict about warranty coverage on modded cars, requiring such things as photos in order to pay the dealer for warranty claims.

I'm all for owners doing what they want to their cars, but beware of the consequences if you do mod your car.
Old 07-20-2018 | 03:12 PM
phx991
Racer

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
That's not exactly what the act says, although that is frequently said about the act. Plus, it's going to be a lot easier for Porsche to substantiate their position that a non Porsche performance enhancing part caused an engine related problem than it is for an owner to prove it didn't. Plus, you're going to have to take them to court to win your case. PCNA will simply deny the claim, and if you want to challenge their position, you're going to have to lawyer up and get you some "expert" witnesses to go against their engineers that designed the car. Remember, it's PCNA that provides the warranty, not the dealer. PCNA is getting very strict about warranty coverage on modded cars, requiring such things as photos in order to pay the dealer for warranty claims.

I'm all for owners doing what they want to their cars, but beware of the consequences if you do mod your car.
Didn't say it was the exact text of the act. It's an accurate summary.
Old 07-20-2018 | 04:35 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Ive been told you have a better chance of getting warranty repairs with an exhaust if you leave the catalytic converters and headers stock, but its a case-by-case scenario.
Old 07-20-2018 | 04:58 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Originally Posted by GSIRM3

+1. At current attorney and technical expert trial billing rates, you could be looking at $100 large to get to trial. Is it really worth it?
Old 07-20-2018 | 06:10 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
...If you do the mods you mentioned and the engine craps out they would have to prove that the mods caused the failure....
Originally Posted by phx991
This is so often repeated but not reality....

Here is what typically happens. Not Porsche specific, just as likely (actually more likely) to happen at a Ford dealer:
  • You do a mod, say some sort of power adding mod like headers...
  • You have a failure, say a turbo failure..
  • Technician working on your car notices the mod, points it out to the service manager, who claims the mod affected the failure and denies warranty coverage...
  • You escalate to corporate warranty, they side with the dealer and deny coverage. Done.
  • Their claim alone is enough to deny you coverage. If you want warranty coverage, your going to have to try an change their minds with letters and documents (unlikely) or hire a lawyer, which is still a dicey proposition and an expensive one.
Thats how it works in the real world...

Now if you put on an aftermarket exhaust, headers, cats, and your radio fails, any dealer or manufacturer would know better than to try and deny your warranty claim based on the exhaust mods.
Old 07-20-2018 | 06:37 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
This is so often repeated but not reality....

Here is what typically happens. Not Porsche specific, just as likely (actually more likely) to happen at a Ford dealer:
  • You do a mod, say some sort of power adding mod like headers...
  • You have a failure, say a turbo failure..
  • Technician working on your car notices the mod, points it out to the service manager, who claims the mod affected the failure and denies warranty coverage...
  • You escalate to corporate warranty, they side with the dealer and deny coverage. Done.
  • Their claim alone is enough to deny you coverage. If you want warranty coverage, your going to have to try an change their minds with letters and documents (unlikely) or hire a lawyer, which is still a dicey proposition and an expensive one.
Thats how it works in the real world...

Now if you put on an aftermarket exhaust, headers, cats, and your radio fails, any dealer or manufacturer would know better than to try and deny your warranty claim based on the exhaust mods.
This is a very realistic sum up. I went with an ecu tune bc I figured is the best cost/benefit. It's not readily visible, so other issues tend to be pinned on the warranty. I'm pretty aware if something serious as the turbos (which have increased pressures and less safe guards under ecu tuning) crap out, I know I'll be stuck with the bill.

Other 911s I had I changed the muffler and resonator and the stealership not even didn't care, they sold the car as CPO with the aftermarket parts in it.

This is on par with track use. They announce and make a big thing how you can drive it in the track and back, but read the manual and see what it says about it. All is fun until the bill arrives. My neighbor had an issue with his GT4 transmission and the factory was speculating he was using slick tires on the track (I filed that under whatever folder). He had a base boxster as loaner during 3 months of winter waiting for parts and arguments.

I tune my cars within reason, if the X51 was available for my base car, I would go for it when the price drops, which happens quite often.
Old 07-20-2018 | 07:15 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

My dealership noticed headers and bypass pipes. Didn't say a word.. Even with the CEL (which I told them to ignore). Nothing but handshakes and smiles.

If anything, they WANT warranty work because it's more $ in their pockets. Denying warranty work is like denying free money, literally.

Either way, talks about a trial are ridiculous. A simple letter from a lawyer would suffice unless you're asking for a refund on the whole car.
Old 07-20-2018 | 08:02 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LavaGTS
My dealership noticed headers and bypass pipes. Didn't say a word.. Even with the CEL (which I told them to ignore). Nothing but handshakes and smiles.
If anything, they WANT warranty work because it's more $ in their pockets. Denying warranty work is like denying free money, literally.
1) Betting you never had an expensive failure that you had to fight for warranty coverage on....

2) Dealers actually make FAR more money for the same work at non warranty rates. Sure, they'll do warranty work but they make squat compared to retail rates.

3) Dealers are cool with mods, particularly Porsche dealers, when there is nothing that needs fixing, but I'll pretty much guarantee you that if you for example blow up a turbo on a car modified with aftermarket headers, exhaust, and a tune on the car you will be in the "pay to play" category. (And rightfully so... good chance those aftermarket headers shed a piece of slag and blew up the turbo)
Old 07-20-2018 | 08:14 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

^I see your point and don't disagree entirely. However money is money and they aren't simply gonna say no because it's not worth their time. A good portion of dealer work is through warranty anyway vs common repairs. At the end of the day its a business, they're there to make that dollar.

Now I'm sure if you walk in like a total jackass and they've never even seen you before they will politely tell you to eff off. If it's a dealer and SA that knows you and has worked on your car several times it's different. You'll get some thing like "Hey bud, we just put your car up on the lift and unfortunately Porsche won't cover your warranty work with these mods on your car... Bring in your stock parts so we can put them on for you and then push for the warranty coverage or bring your car back in with the original parts".

They're not ****'s. They're a business. They have nothing but money to lose by sending you away and only bad word of mouth to gain. The only other way I can see you being SOL on warranty work is if the dealer is informed by Porsche that they're sending out an engineer or so to inspect the damage/failure. At that point you either have to hold your breath or pay out of pocket.
Old 07-20-2018 | 08:18 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Ive read on multiple forums that the PIWIS can be interrogated remotely and they can tell even if you went back to stock after the failure. The warranty decision ultimately is not with the dealer. Porsche can send a field person to investigate also.

Quick Reply: Performance mods and warranty question