Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A nice drive thru the NC mountains, welcome to SC!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 07:25 PM
jsaviano
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A nice drive thru the NC mountains, welcome to SC!

Last Friday I am enjoying a spirited drive on the lovely NC mountain roads, with almost no traffic, other than 1 RV that was quickly passed (Highway 28 going south from Highlands). Continued into SC and came upon a very slow moving trio of cars. Passed one, pulled in (whereupon the driver laid on his/her horn). Then the road opened up a bit and quickly passed the other two. Enjoyed some more driving, until coming into a town called Walhalla (SC) where traffic built up and I slowed. I always follow speed limits scrupulously when going thru these small towns, as the local Barney Fifes having nothing else to do but watch out for "speed demons."

I am going a bit less than 35 in a 35 zone, when blue lights appear behind me (!). Two cars, both county and city police.

I carefully pull over onto a side road and patiently wait for the officer (the other car quickly leaves). He comes up, asks me how my day is going (they always do that), and proceeds to tell me that he pulled me because they received a phone call about "some maniac flying down the road, passing people left and right." I told him I was enjoying a drive thru the beautiful mountains and did pass slower traffic as conditions allowed (of course). He smiled and said if he had the same car he'd be doing the same thing.

He didn't cite me for anything, said he had to react to a local calling in and reporting something. Gave me a little slip of paper that only said I was "contacted." I guess that showed he did his job.

Oh well, I guess some people don't like being passed, no matter how slow they are going! Sheesh. Other than that, a great drive. Some of the best roads around.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:36 PM
GTOWN83
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to know there are still some reasonable highway patrol officers out there.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:55 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Great story. I'm headed up the mountains tomorrow with a bunch of over guys. We are having breakfast at Porsche of Hickory and leaving from there. Hopefully we won't run into any of that silliness.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:47 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

At least he didn't say "you in a heapa trouble now..."
Old 07-20-2018, 04:04 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Hwy 28 from Highlands to Wahalla is a much under rated road and I hope it stays that way! The only downside for an early morning run is sometimes there are Bicycles out at that time.

Peter
Old 07-20-2018, 04:18 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Glad it wasn't Buford T. Justice that stopped you!
Old 07-20-2018, 04:33 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

I have a great similar story which I can’t post but makes a great cocktail conversation. Net net another good cop situation. Also in the area.

Quick Reply: A nice drive thru the NC mountains, welcome to SC!