Seacoast Environment, Opinions, Experience, Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 10:40 AM
Cay911
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Seacoast Environment, Opinions, Experience, Please

Greetings,

I will soon be spending 5 plus months in a seaside community in Florida in a house directly on the beach with NO Garage. I have a 991 TT Cab, though model should not matter. I spoke with almost every Porsche dealer's Service departments in Florida and asked "will the salt air, sun, heat, torrential rainfalls etc. cause any harm to my car, externally or internally (electronics)" and all of them said I have nothing to worry about.

My car is not a DD but I have put over 16K miles on it in my first 10 months of ownership and plan on averaging at least 19K per year so it is not a garage queen and I love driving it! The car is completely covered in PPF and has a ceramic coating. I have fold up sunshades and use them and wash it frequently plus use Car Pro reload every 3 to 4 months when needed and have it professionally detailed twice a year. The car is under CPO until late 2022. Besides the 991 I will also have my Cayenne S with me FL.

I listen to the dealers and the sales guy side of me says if the car takes beating in that environment the sooner I BUY a newer one from them?

I would appreciate hearing from Anyone with Ocean side experience or knowledge regarding this topic.

Many thanks in advance,
Cay911

Old 07-18-2018, 11:14 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

I wouldn't worry about the seaside environment. Any extra exposure to salt will be nothing compared to the winter driving done up here in the Northeast and these cars survive quite well in that. I would be most concerned about the constant exposure to sun and heat. Not a big deal, but would recommend you regularly wipe some 303 protectant on your rubber seals, particularly the ones exposed to the sun. Also a good idea to use a leather protector with SPF or 303 protectant on your leather. And use that sun shade every day. Your car will be fine.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:12 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 112 Posts

Buy a good exterior car cover. Huge difference, watch the salt air (film). When I was into boats a friend had a high end sport fisherman, we lived in NY, 5 month season, boat stayed as new for 4-5 years. Took it to FLA for 1 winter, boat was never the same.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:19 PM
Cay911
Instructor

Originally Posted by JW911
I wouldn't worry about the seaside environment. Any extra exposure to salt will be nothing compared to the winter driving done up here in the Northeast and these cars survive quite well in that. I would be most concerned about the constant exposure to sun and heat. Not a big deal, but would recommend you regularly wipe some 303 protectant on your rubber seals, particularly the ones exposed to the sun. Also a good idea to use a leather protector with SPF or 303 protectant on your leather. And use that sun shade every day. Your car will be fine.

Great idea on the 303, Thank you, I already use a UV Plus leather protector from C-Quartz.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:49 PM
Cay911
Instructor

Originally Posted by white6speed
Buy a good exterior car cover. Huge difference, watch the salt air (film). When I was into boats a friend had a high end sport fisherman, we lived in NY, 5 month season, boat stayed as new for 4-5 years. Took it to FLA for 1 winter, boat was never the same.
I am contemplating a car cover but I read that the car should be clean before it is put on or it will do more harm than it does good.....however it is PPFed ?????
Old 07-18-2018, 01:02 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Sun will mess up the paint and interior, especially if it is dark paint. I am guessing a carport or something is out of the question. I don’t think you will have substantial rust issues, none of the cars on the Florida coast I know of do, but you will get surface corrosion on bolts and lines and such.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:05 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

my goodness, throw some wax on your PPF and get a sunshield for your windshield and you'll be just fine.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:12 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,029 Posts

I was in the Navy for 20 years and always parked my cars on the piers right on the water line sometimes for weeks at a time. No problem. They were Hondas though since I couldn't afford Porsches at the time.

Cars today have a ton of protection. These are not the 914s of yesteryear.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:17 PM
Class5Kayaker
Pro

Received 213 Likes on 99 Posts

I live in FL less than 500 feet from the gulf. You'll be fine. Think about it, people always rave about "Southern California" classic cars as being some of the best due to no rust issues......a lot of those cars spent their lives on the coast too!

Like others said, sunlight should be more of a concern than the "salty" air. You already have a full PPF and ceramic coat, so just keep the inside protected from the sun as much as possible (tint on the side windows and a windshield visor while parked and you won't need to worry about that either).

Oh, and how the heck is 19K miles per year not considered a daily driver? lol If you miss a day or two of driving it a week, I'd still call it a DD.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:49 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My MIL lives on the ocean side, condo on the beach, and the cars sitting in the car ports for extensive periods of time have a sea salt film on the car. Weekly wash, window tint and dash sun shield. And only going to be there for 5 months so only temporary unless this will be a semi-annual thing then the window tint would be a good investment.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:00 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
I live in FL less than 500 feet from the gulf. You'll be fine. Think about it, people always rave about "Southern California" classic cars as being some of the best due to no rust issues......a lot of those cars spent their lives on the coast too!

Like others said, sunlight should be more of a concern than the "salty" air. You already have a full PPF and ceramic coat, so just keep the inside protected from the sun as much as possible (tint on the side windows and a windshield visor while parked and you won't need to worry about that either).

Oh, and how the heck is 19K miles per year not considered a daily driver? lol If you miss a day or two of driving it a week, I'd still call it a DD.
The problem is that he doesnt have a garage

I think a good car cover will be fine esp when you have PPF all over

Old 07-18-2018, 08:13 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Just hose it off every few days if it does not rain, and when it does rain take it for a drive to rinse the underside. I live on the beach and you can get a salt film overnight, even if in a garage depending on the seabreeze. Otherwise, try to stop the sun from entering as much as possible as others have said. By the way, there is a law here in FL about the level of window tint but it is rarely enforced since more vehicles than not have dark tint.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:44 PM
Cay911
Instructor

Thank you everyone, appreciated the feedback....all great ideas!
Old 07-21-2018, 10:41 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,079 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Sun will mess up the paint and interior, especially if it is dark paint. I am guessing a carport or something is out of the question. I don’t think you will have substantial rust issues, none of the cars on the Florida coast I know of do, but you will get surface corrosion on bolts and lines and such.
Sun issues in Florida? Meh. Come to the western US. Around here, we have SUN. Compared to my home, Florida has 7000 ft of extra atmosphere, most of it quite moist, to filter out the rays. Just avoid driving your car in the surf and it will be fine.

Quick Reply: Seacoast Environment, Opinions, Experience, Please