Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the normal guidelines for CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 10:51 PM
2thdoc14
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What are the normal guidelines for CPO?

I bought a 2017 911 Endurance Racing Edition from Porsche of Roslyn, had it inspected, and there were a few items noted. The dealer fixed the cracked water pump housing plastic, but said the drivers door pocket hinge that was busted, was on back order and my dealer could order and replace it.

I was told all the items on the PPI list were taken care of, and the car was shipped.

I received the car, and it wasnt the same car that I had photos of from the dealer. By that I mean the decals were toast...cracked, burned through, faded and peeling. The dealer sent me photos when it was new, not as it sat.

The car had dents in the rear quarter, a "stain" in the leather which turns out to be their repair of a scuff. it looks horrible.

The car had scratches in it and had hit something and it ran down the drivers door.

i spoke to the dealership and the stated no way the car would have left their lot looking like that. I had my dealer look at the car and they were appalled at the condition.

Porsche of Roslyn said that the car had been stored inside and also on their showroom floor. judging by the photos, their story doesnt add up. How does a car in service for 9 months and 2k miles look like this? How do they post images of the car when new and get away with that?

My feeling is they knew how it looked, wasnt a customers car, and wanted to get it off the lot.

Porsche wouldnt cover the destroyed decals, the paint, the door pocket hinge nor the seat cover because they said the car was just certified and all of that should have been taken care of.

The dealer then had to get the territory rep to cover the decals and the repaint. They wouldnt cover the seat or the door pocket hinge or the custom cover which has a big oil stain on it ( was in the bag, never opened)

So how can I proceed? Id imagine there is some sort of criteria to CPO a car, and obviously the dealer slapped a sticker on it while never going through the car.

i want a new seat cover and a new car cover, the car should not have come like this in my opinion...but maybe im wrong?

Th

oughts?
Old 07-17-2018, 11:06 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Always good to inspect in person. Ship the car back and get a refund. What a bad case of misrepresentation and deception. Sending old pics too?? Geez.

What a joke. I'd call PCNA and complain as well.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:09 PM
2thdoc14
Advanced

I thought the PPI had it covered, but I guess he wasnt very astute to what the decals should look like. I wish i could send it back, but im not sure thats an option!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:19 PM
Carsly
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

caveat emptor.

I wouldn't buy a car without seeing it first - CPO or not. CPO cars are not new. Heck, even "new" cars can be permissibly reconditioned due to damage at the port or during shipping.

You could file a complaint with PCNA about Porsche of Roslyn, my understanding is that it won't be their first, second or even third. It won't resolve your situation though.

You could pursue the selling dealer but you likely executed paperwork accepting the car as-is. I'm no lawyer but that doesn't feel like strong legal ground to stand on.

Better Business Bureau is another path to file a complaint. You may be able to work some kind of settlement this way.

Good luck.

Backstory: I bought a used Porsche two states away a few years ago but only made the deposit up front and made the trip to review the car, extended test drive, pay and drove it home. It was time consuming but I wouldn't do it any other way. The selling dealer in that case, Porsche of Greenwich, was excellent, had represented the car (used, but too old to CPO) accurately and even offered to refund my deposit while I was there if I was unhappy with anything about the car. Even though it was late, one of the techs stayed around and checked squeaking brakes for me. CT has a mandatory used car warranty, 60-90 days, I forget which, during which period they contacted me to make sure all was ok and encouraged me to come in if anything seemed awry so they could set it right. That's service!
Old 07-17-2018, 11:38 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Too many dealers act sleazy, especially with used cars, CPO or not. I suppose you can push with civility and see what happens. Or you can lawyer up if you have time and money to spare. Or go rogue with social media, and call the dealer out. (Posting here has some impact, but not much.)
Old 07-17-2018, 11:40 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Carsly
Backstory: I bought a used Porsche two states away a few years ago but only made the deposit up front and made the trip to review the car, extended test drive, pay and drove it home. It was time consuming but I wouldn't do it any other way. The selling dealer in that case, Porsche of Greenwich, was excellent, had represented the car (used, but too old to CPO) accurately and even offered to refund my deposit while I was there if I was unhappy with anything about the car. Even though it was late, one of the techs stayed around and checked squeaking brakes for me. CT has a mandatory used car warranty, 60-90 days, I forget which, during which period they contacted me to make sure all was ok and encouraged me to come in if anything seemed awry so they could set it right. That's service!
Maybe we need a Rennlist dealer hall of fame--and hall of shame. We could post stars and daggers.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:42 PM
2thdoc14
Advanced

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Too many dealers act sleazy, especially with used cars, CPO or not. I suppose you can push with civility and see what happens. Or you can lawyer up if you have time and money to spare. Or go rogue with social media, and call the dealer out. (Posting here has some impact, but not much.)

Ive been working for 2 months to get it fixed...nicely. They promised to help, then stall. Finally today he just tried to blame someone else and then I told him i was going to call Porsche. He said " I understand"

Bottom line is that they pushed it out and now because Porsche wont warranty it, they dont feel like making it right.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:47 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

If they used the photos of a new car and not the car as is - its a straight forward case of misleading and deceptive conduct in commerce or industry (or at least over here). I'm sure the US has similar legislation in place.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:54 PM
2thdoc14
Advanced

Originally Posted by groundhog
If they used the photos of a new car and not the car as is - its a straight forward case of misleading and deceptive conduct in commerce or industry (or at least over here). I'm sure the US has similar legislation in place.

They did...look above at the dealer pics and then compare to my photos of the roof decals as an example.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:33 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

So sorry about your experience. I've been there and it sucks!

Demand they take it back and move on. Pay return shipping if you need to as a compromise.

Lessons I've learned buying long distance: always use a dealer who has a rep for being hones and selling out of state (there are a handful), get lots of video in differing light, always have them note condition of the car on the bill of sale including calling out any blemishes or reconditioning needs, and ensure they will take it back it if isn't as described. I try to fly in and drive them home when that's an option, or have a Rennlister with an eye for a clean car go inspect if for you if you don't know the dealer is solid.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:54 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Who did the PPI? For a PPI to mean anything is has to be done by someone other than the selling dealer.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:11 AM
2thdoc14
Advanced

PPI was done by a person recommended here on rennlist
Old 07-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry for your troubles. You look to buy a nice ride and you get stiffed. It happens. It shouldn’t, but it does and it’s a shame.

Lawyering up may help initially , but then that may be very costly. An attorney would have to give you a frank assessment of your chances of prevailing, the extent of recovery, time frame, and the costs involved.

Perhaps, and at the very least for catharsis, you might send a fully documented complaint detailing this fraud to the offending dealer’s state attorney general’s office or secretary of state. Perhaps their inquiry may help your cause.

Good luck whichever way you go and again, sorry for your troubles.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:24 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by 2thdoc14
PPI was done by a person recommended here on rennlist
They're idiots if they didn't point any of this out. What did they say about your concerns?

Didn't they email detailed pics?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:37 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

In my understanding CPO does not include any damage considered “cosmetic”, and is more of an assurance that the car is mechanically ok so that Porsche will be willing to warrenty it.

Quick Reply: What are the normal guidelines for CPO?