Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about getting an older, less costly 911 for winter use. Opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 04:10 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

I drove sports cars with full snow tires for 17 winters. Never got stuck once. I finally bought a sporty SUV for the winter and bad weather simply because it was easier and less stressful. If I need to park on a pile of snow, no problem. If I need to work late and come home in a blizzard, less stress. Not switching tires every spring and fall also was a welcome change.

You have to be able to really shrug things off to drive these cars in the winter. Salt damage to the car, salt trucks, rocks dug up by plows, potholes, deep snow and ice pile ridges scraping the bumper and undercarriage, salt on mats and pedals, getting in the car with snowy wet clothes and boots, using snow brushes and scrapers on the car, the risk of other people sliding into you, etc, etc.

These cars are built to handle winter but they are not optimized for it. If you live near a major city its even harder.

Even getting into the car with a heavy winter coat on and wearing snow boots was a pain in a Cayman.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:22 PM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A used Macan S , and Cobb it. After the first few dings no stress. Tires and wheels more robust for northeast roads.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:36 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

The 996 is a good car, but it is a real dinosaur compared to the 991 in so many aspects. I think every time you drive it you will be wishing you were driving your 991. The ride quality, engine character, technology, handling, comfort, etc. etc. are all two generations behind the 991. And it shows. Nothing wrong with the 996 for a dated model, but you will always be comparing it to your 991 and won't appreciate the experience. My recommendation is to put winter tires on your 991 and drive it. I drove my 997 through 6 New England winters and my 991 has been through 2 so far (and 2 by the previous owner). Cosmetically, I would say there may be just a few more chips in the paint. But really very few. When I sold that 997 it was in beautiful shape and it sold within days to the first person who came to see it. I think you are too worried about the winter beating on your 991. Keep it waxed, wash it regularly, and if you are really concerned put PPF on the front section. You won't regret it.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:57 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
When I lived in Switzerland, the local dealers stored my winter tires. Make an appointment, they ready the tire, then you pull in like a pit stop. Next spring, they have the rims cleaned and ready to change out to the summer tires. Gotta love the Swiss.
My dealer offers that service in the US.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:35 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
The 996 is a good car, but it is a real dinosaur compared to the 991 in so many aspects. I think every time you drive it you will be wishing you were driving your 991. The ride quality, engine character, technology, handling, comfort, etc. etc. are all two generations behind the 991. And it shows. Nothing wrong with the 996 for a dated model, but you will always be comparing it to your 991 and won't appreciate the experience. My recommendation is to put winter tires on your 991 and drive it. I drove my 997 through 6 New England winters and my 991 has been through 2 so far (and 2 by the previous owner). Cosmetically, I would say there may be just a few more chips in the paint. But really very few. When I sold that 997 it was in beautiful shape and it sold within days to the first person who came to see it. I think you are too worried about the winter beating on your 991. Keep it waxed, wash it regularly, and if you are really concerned put PPF on the front section. You won't regret it.
I think you are right on many accounts. I already like the 991 more than my 997 which I sold it 2 months ago. It sold in 3 days to the first buyer and I had a second buyer lined up.
I also forgot about the IMS issue with the 996 which I was reminded about in this thread.
I like the idea of having the dealership store my summer tires. I will ask them if it is a possibility.
Driving to work today I was reminded how great the 991 is. The engine growl at 4000 rpm is amazing. I love it.
there were many days this past winter when the roads were clear and dry and I was wishing I had my 911.
Thank you very much for the input. I appreciate it a lot.
CB
Old 07-17-2018, 08:36 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

I grew up in northern New England and the winters are brutal on cars -- if you want to keep your 991 nice, do not run it through the salt bath.

You can get a decent 996 C4 for $20K. Throw on some snows and drive the hell out of it. 100% what I'd do if I was back in the north country...
Old 07-17-2018, 08:49 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Tough concept, the "beater 911". As others have pointed out, the 996 series is the low spot in desire (and price for equivalent condition). But even $20k is a bit of money to risk on the IMS.

Given that life is short, maybe another model or (gasp!) another brand? A VW GTI or type R, Audi S3, Mustang (let out your inner hooligan), or many others would be more fun than a Macan.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:55 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Churchill
I grew up in northern New England and the winters are brutal on cars -- if you want to keep your 991 nice, do not run it through the salt bath.

You can get a decent 996 C4 for $20K. Throw on some snows and drive the hell out of it. 100% what I'd do if I was back in the north country...
I do worry about my minty 991 with 7000 actually now 8500 miles. If I were able to get a 996 for 20-25K and the engine blew I guess it would be a total loss and an easy decision to scrap the car. I have to see what kind of risk the IMS bearing is. I do know it is a touchy subject so I will do some stealth research.
Thanks a lot for the ideas.
CB
Old 07-17-2018, 08:59 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Get a Subaru if you want a winter vehicle
Old 07-17-2018, 09:14 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
I drove sports cars with full snow tires for 17 winters. Never got stuck once. I finally bought a sporty SUV for the winter and bad weather simply because it was easier and less stressful. If I need to park on a pile of snow, no problem. If I need to work late and come home in a blizzard, less stress. Not switching tires every spring and fall also was a welcome change.

You have to be able to really shrug things off to drive these cars in the winter. Salt damage to the car, salt trucks, rocks dug up by plows, potholes, deep snow and ice pile ridges scraping the bumper and undercarriage, salt on mats and pedals, getting in the car with snowy wet clothes and boots, using snow brushes and scrapers on the car, the risk of other people sliding into you, etc, etc.

These cars are built to handle winter but they are not optimized for it. If you live near a major city its even harder.
Even getting into the car with a heavy winter coat on and wearing snow boots was a pain in a Cayman.
What ClassJ said. Two 911s maybe a bit silly. Look for an inexpensive AWD SUV that you can leave at the airport, take to work, load with junk and take shopping. Use the 911 on those winter days where the salt/sand has been washed away. I get the concept of a C4 to get home before the snow gets too deep but why would you want to risk your Porsche— old or new for heavy winter use?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:26 PM
RichAA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Tough concept, the "beater 911". As others have pointed out, the 996 series is the low spot in desire (and price for equivalent condition). But even $20k is a bit of money to risk on the IMS.

Given that life is short, maybe another model or (gasp!) another brand? A VW GTI or type R, Audi S3, Mustang (let out your inner hooligan), or many others would be more fun than a Macan.
^ This

My GTI is 90% of the fun of the 911 with none of the stress. Put on winter tires, and it's a snowmobile. I also have an A4 with a 6-speed. It's great in the snow and relatively fun to drive.

But last winter I tried something new: F-150. There's nothing sporty about it, but it's fun as hell after a blizzard.

I detail the Porsche before I store it. In the Spring, it's like opening a present.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:21 AM
Nin Din Din
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd

I do worry about my minty 991 with 7000 actually now 8500 miles. If I were able to get a 996 for 20-25K and the engine blew I guess it would be a total loss and an easy decision to scrap the car. I have to see what kind of risk the IMS bearing is. I do know it is a touchy subject so I will do some stealth research.
Thanks a lot for the ideas.
CB
Not sure but I don’t think the Turbo was effected by the IMS. But then, you will be north of 40K for a good one.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:53 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nin Din Din

Not sure but I don’t think the Turbo was effected by the IMS. But then, you will be north of 40K for a good one.
I’ll look at the turbo too. Thanks
Old 07-19-2018, 02:03 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Check out an older Cayman. I know someone who daily drives one in the Boston area, and said it is great on plowed roads when equipped with snow tires. Rear engine in the summer - mid-engine in the winter!

Originally Posted by RichAA
^ This

My GTI is 90% of the fun of the 911 with none of the stress. Put on winter tires, and it's a snowmobile. I also have an A4 with a 6-speed. It's great in the snow and relatively fun to drive.

But last winter I tried something new: F-150. There's nothing sporty about it, but it's fun as hell after a blizzard.

I detail the Porsche before I store it. In the Spring, it's like opening a present.
I love our GTI, but would not buy one as a dedicated winter car in New England. Traction is terrible even on dry pavement.

Ironically, I also had a B6 A4 and a B8.5 S4; the former was solid in the snow even on all-season tires, and the latter was a beast on Blizzaks
Old 07-19-2018, 09:42 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I've owned quite a few winter cars:

Audi A4/S3/S4 with winter tires can handle anything but a snow bank.
Macan was a good all rounder but a little too nice to beat on.
FJ Cruiser with big narrow pizza cutters will park on snow banks.
but the best sporty winter car.... Audi Allroad. Period.

Quick Reply: Thinking about getting an older, less costly 911 for winter use. Opinions please.