Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concrete Dust on Car ... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 11:43 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

I use a pressure washer for my foam canon and for the rinse. I use a wide spray nozzle attachment and move the wand constantly so the spray is not pointed to one area for any amount of time. No issues after 13 Pcars
Wash the car don't kill yourself with anxiety over it.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:58 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,029 Posts

I would use a hose with no spray nozzle to carefully remove the dust. Don't want to use anything with force that would cause the tiny sand bits to scratch the car.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:07 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by scsuperfan
Hopefully no one has had this happen to them...but,

The apartment that I live in had a contractor come with his concrete saw to cut up the sidewalk outside. Apparently he opened up my garage door while cutting and now my entire 2 month-old 911 is covered in concrete dust. Had anyone experienced this before and if so, what's the best way to remove it? It seems like you could easily mess us the paint by just washing it or hosing it down without the proper tools, etc.

Any advice the community has with something like this would be great.

Please wash your car and post clean pics so we can wrap up here
Old 07-18-2018, 10:37 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by LavaGTS

I'll just let this guy explain it. Miraculously he's demonstrating on a Porsche to make you a happy camper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehtWNLDPBt0
I wouldnt be worried about peeling paint or embedding dirt but pressure washers WILL force water into areas that don't require water/you would rather remained dry....behind/inside lights, mirrors, trim,locks, windows etc etc. Can't believe this has gone on for 35 posts. Its dust...the same stuff you pick up on the highway/road every single day.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:11 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

I had a similar experience with my dads Ghost. Not concrete, but granite dust from them cutting in the garage next to the car....

I hosed the car down with water (just from a hose). That caused some of it to cake up, but removed most of the stuff. I followed with a foam cannon soak with some cheap car wash. High pressure rinse. Then another foam cannon soak, followed by two bucket method. High pressure rinse again, plus go over with regular hose to get anything left in the seems.

Car had no sort of protection applied, other than some wax. Ended up coming out like it had never happened.
You got protection, so you should be fine. Just don't skimp on the soap and water.

Try not to agitate without getting some of the non-bonded stuff out first. And when you do agitate, use plenty of soap/water and rinse the mitt off frequently.

-Aatish
Old 07-18-2018, 01:16 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Pressure wash won't do any damage, unless you get one that outputs 5,000 psi plus. Even then, most of the time you're not gonna use a 0° nozzle. 15° nozzle is what I use, which is around 2500 psi with my sort of pressure washer. If you do hit it right, with the correct amount of concrete dust, you might damage the paint a bit...but you'd have to actually try to do that imo. A regular rinsing with a pressure washer won't do much, especially with a coating applied....I still recommend rinsing with a hose first before getting a pressure washer involved just to keep things safe, and because I enjoy wasting water.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:51 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 753 Likes on 394 Posts

Your best bet is to find a coin-op and bring your own soap and wash mitt. Get as much of the dirt off with initial pressure wash rinse.

To check how close you should get the pressure washer wand to the car, simply pull trigger on pressure washer, hold your hand at the end of the stream, and come back to the tip at a point it starts to get uncomfortable. Now you’ll know how close to get to the car.

since you have CQuartz Finest Reserve and ppf on front, most of the concrete dust should flush off.

use 3-4 oz of CarPro Reset in a 5-gallon bucket and fill with pressurized water creating a thick and lathery foam.

wash top to bottom in slow movement with all natural lambs wool wash mitt and allow weight of wash mitt to do all the work. Rinse car and mitt after each panel so wash mitt is clean when dunking back into soap.

rinse. Dry using thick high quality microfiber towel.

that should do the trick.

contact Corey at CarPro USA in FL and he can overnight this to you ASAP

let us know how it goes...if I wasn’t so busy, id make another house call to you in SF 🤙
Old 07-19-2018, 10:53 PM
thebigboum
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it happen to me very simple vinegar on a rug
Old 07-19-2018, 11:23 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by thebigboum
on a rug
****? Berber?? That's gotta be hard to manhandle around the car.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:58 PM
scsuperfan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. Took moe's advice - car is good.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:39 PM
Old Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad you sorted it out. In a past life I lived in Saudi Arabia where we had hundreds of vehicles along the Red Sea (Jeddah) coast. The nearby cement plant's exhaust dust settled on EVERYTHING including our cars and with the high humidity, morning dew (yes...it is humid in Arabia) all of our cars paint jobs were totally ruined within a few months...this included Chevy Impalas and Toyota Cresidas. Cement dust is a big no-no. Again, glad that you sorted it out.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:04 AM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 400 Likes on 224 Posts

What is this, the ferrari chat forum where we have to pick the right diaper? It's just dust. It's a car, blow it off, wash it and be done with it. What about all the **** you hit when you are driving and you don't even know about it. How about all the dirt in the rain slamming into the paint when it rains. What made the grand canyon?
My plane takes tons of abuse at much higher speeds and we never stress about the paint and it holds up year after year after year. Of course, it was painted with Imron and that **** is like titanium.... but I digress.

(interesting that the post automatically filters out George Carlin's "bad words")

Quick Reply: Concrete Dust on Car ... HELP!