Sponsored by:

991.2 Over Range 5 and 6 Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 05:55 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BeepBeep88

can someone please tell me if a missed shift that results in your engine exploding, at the time or at a later date, is something that is be covered by insurance? I’m nervous now lol, will be downshifting much more deliberately ...
No I don't think anybody would cover money shifts
Old 07-15-2018, 06:48 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Can you you please repost this (with "protip" videos) in the racing section? I have a feeling it will turn into an entertaining thread...

Originally Posted by LavaGTS
The more serious question is why you're asking THAT question seriously.

it's a ****in Porsche 911. Drive it! If you're not hitting the rev limiter you're not driving you're car. You're simply *****-footing it thinking you're hard.

I hit rev limiter many times in my PDK.

protip: if you keep your throttle pinned to redline in 2nd and 3rd gear for 3 seconds or longer it will stop bouncing off the limiter and smooth out the throttle right at redline for a smoother and natural balance in a corner.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:40 PM
Soapman72
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why on earth would anyone want to enter a corner with your engine at redline? Am I misunderstanding something? I've been to more than a few DE trackdays, and none of the instructors ever shared this. Maybe they didn't think I was ready for that technique?
Old 07-15-2018, 10:12 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Soapman72
Why on earth would anyone want to enter a corner with your engine at redline? Am I misunderstanding something? I've been to more than a few DE trackdays, and none of the instructors ever shared this. Maybe they didn't think I was ready for that technique?
Fast in, slow out, they say!
Old 07-15-2018, 10:22 PM
BeepBeep88
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
No I don't think anybody would cover money shifts
I’m fascinated by this lol... I’m leasing, does anyone know the dealer protocol when taking a car in off lease?

i just can’t see the dealer going to a customer, “sir you over rev’d on such and such a date so we’re going have to escrow $15k - $20k for a potential engine rebuild”.

would love to know the inside scoop on this...
Old 07-15-2018, 10:38 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I’m fascinated by this lol... I’m leasing, does anyone know the dealer protocol when taking a car in off lease?

i just can’t see the dealer going to a customer, “sir you over rev’d on such and such a date so we’re going have to escrow $15k - $20k for a potential engine rebuild”.

would love to know the inside scoop on this...
Interesting thought. I like to know what the dealer says after returning a leased car with the underlying over-rev condition.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:19 PM
Z00mie
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Interesting thought. I like to know what the dealer says after returning a leased car with the underlying over-rev condition.
Excellent point! I'd never really considered this. Rarely do I lease cars (or consider leases for purchase) but it would be interesting to get a dealer's perspective. I'll have to call my salesman and see if he has an opinion!
Old 07-15-2018, 11:51 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
Fast in, slow out, they say!
that’s what she said
Old 07-16-2018, 12:04 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,092 Posts

It’s a shocker that a mechanical over rev of 1,200 rpms can do such damage to both the engine and
Here’s some light reading describing the tip of that iceberg.

Valve Float
Old 07-16-2018, 12:37 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

can someone please tell me if a missed shift that results in your engine exploding, at the time or at a later date, is something that is be covered by insurance? I’m nervous now lol, will be downshifting much more deliberately ...
Answer to your question is: I have never heard of insurance covering a money shift.

And, of course, a missed shift can result in an engine failure on the spot or down the road. Jerry Woods, a respected engine builder here in the Bay Area, was asked to testify or be deposed on this very subject, and iirc, he said that over-revving an engine can stretch the rod bolts—how much they stretch dictates how much torque value they use, and thus when they are likely to fail. Thing is, they're in there...

Which is why over-rev reports are a beautiful thing.

As to the idea that someone is pussyfooting a Porsche if they don't have any over-revs, that's silly. When I asked for the report before selling my GT4 at 14,700 miles, the service advisor said, "You never go to redline, do you?" when he handed over a report with zero over-revs in all ranges. I looked at him and said, "Oh, I go to redline...a LOT!" Inwardly, I was cringing a bit while waiting for the report, as I let a number of (good) drivers try the car on back roads and a race track...sometimes without me in it. One was a current factory driver, another an R&T writer, but some of the others were just friends I trust. Turns out all of them were not only quick but careful, too.

I'd probably buy a car with Range 0 or Range 1 over-revs as long as they were relatively few and far between. I'd think hard about a car I really liked with Range 2 or 3 over-revs. Range 5-6? Unless the price included a discount = a new engine, installed, I'd let someone else take the risk.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:03 AM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Does anyone here have experience with an actual non-hypothetical 911 that survived the money shift and its immediate aftermath and 20+ hours later broke due to those over revs? I've come across countless examples of cars with ranges 4/5/6 running strong, passing PPIs, living happily ever after (e.g., the shift happened 400 hours ago or something), but never once heard of somebody buying a car with old 5/6 revs and having it break due to them. You'd think on the internet where everyone complains about their broken cars you'd see that, right...?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:40 AM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure on 911, but I’ve raced BMW E36’s for years and your luck can run the spectrum. I’ve punched a valve through a piston by simply just riding the limiter for a long time, but I’ve also inexplicably survived a money once too.

Porsche would not CPO a car that had severe over revs like the car in question here, right? I recently bought a CPO 991 GTS manual and assumed it would have been something they checked.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:28 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 855 Likes on 469 Posts

Good info to know...thanks gent. Great posts for those following.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:49 PM
jorn_umpo
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
Does anyone here have experience with an actual non-hypothetical 911 that survived the money shift and its immediate aftermath and 20+ hours later broke due to those over revs? I've come across countless examples of cars with ranges 4/5/6 running strong, passing PPIs, living happily ever after (e.g., the shift happened 400 hours ago or something), but never once heard of somebody buying a car with old 5/6 revs and having it break due to them. You'd think on the internet where everyone complains about their broken cars you'd see that, right...?
Agreed -- if the over revs happened many hours ago you're good. I've heard Porsche's threshold is 50 hours ago for warranty purposes, as another poster mentioned.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:54 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by jorn_umpo
Agreed -- if the over revs happened many hours ago you're good. I've heard Porsche's threshold is 50 hours ago for warranty purposes, as another poster mentioned.
But then the problem comes when you try to sell the car to the next buyer. They balk and move on to the next car due to these concerns, regardless of hours elapsed. If you are keeping the car for a very long time maybe...

Quick Reply: 991.2 Over Range 5 and 6 Bad?