Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9.3 Quarts of oil on 991.2 oil change???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 04:45 PM
Zylinderkopfdichtung
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 193 Posts

I did the rear ramp draining method and had to put exactly 9 liters (~9.5 quarts) in to measure one tick below max.

Originally Posted by ICU991812
Call me crazy, but why does the vehicle not have just an old fashion dip stick? Was it just to be "modern" and not have owner get their hands dirty? I feel like the more electronics we have, the more for fault. So we just have faith that the sensor is right. We'll never be too full or low, and the sensor telling us "all good" ...
The oil pan is often not the lowest point in modern turbocharged engines. The oil circuit needs to run to get an accurate measurement of how much oil is actually in the engine. Dipstick readings could be wildly different for the same volume of oil in the engine. Best to let the digital German tell us what’s going on.

Last edited by Zylinderkopfdichtung; 03-21-2021 at 04:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Briels (04-07-2024)
Old 03-21-2021, 06:36 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
most newer cars are dipstick free. How old are your cars. 3 brands in the garage and none have a dipstick.
My '16 S550 has a dipstick. I imagine that will be gone soon if not already. I still think of it as "newer" however.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:45 PM
ICU991812
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

most newer cars are dipstick free. How old are your cars. 3 brands in the garage and none have a dipstick.
I'm too old then...2004 and 2010. So how does the 911 measure oil level? A float or some sort of contact sensor to determine level?
Old 03-21-2021, 10:10 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 460 Posts

theres no shortage of dipsticks on this forum:}
The following users liked this post:
regajohn (07-02-2024)
Old 06-03-2023, 07:37 PM
981KMAN
Burning Brakes

Received 676 Likes on 338 Posts

2019 Targa 4GTS (991.2) Oil & Filter change. Oil Level read full prior to change. Used Quickjacks, so car was level when draining oil. Drained 9 quarts out, put 8.5 quarts back in. After a short drive the Oil Level reading was right in the middle showing ~1/2 quart below full.

Perfect!
Old 06-03-2023, 08:33 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 918 Likes on 459 Posts

I also used about 9.3 qts on my last oil change of my 991.2 C2S. Display reads almost at max fill line. I back the car up onto race ramps so the rear is elevated and I let the oil drain for a few hours (because I had other stuff to do).

Old 06-04-2023, 10:43 AM
Autobahnschreck
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Even with the car (991.1 GTS) standing level, I always have to refill more than the specified 7.5 ltrs. I allow the used oil to drip off for at least an hour. Usually it took about 8.2 ltrs. to fill up to one line below max. That is what the manual suggests for track use. Maximum then would be 8.6 ltrs.
In earlier workshop manuals Porsche specified the amount for refilling the oil for a drip-off time of 20 minutes. I believe that makes the difference.
The specification of 7.5 ltrs. may be a measure to avoid overfill, the shop must check the correct level anyway.
The oil-level sensor is not a simple mechanical device, it is an ultrasound sensor feeding an electronic PWM-signal to the DME. The oil level in the pan is continuously monitored during engine operation, with a number of corrections applied, e.g. for oil temperature. The measurements are stored, you may read the oil level after some seconds after stopping the warmed-up engine, as well as before starting it after being parked over night.
By the way: the indicated oil temperature is not measured in the oil pan, as with 996/997.1, but at the inflow into the pressure gallery, by a pressure/temp combination sensor.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:41 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 834 Likes on 381 Posts

An oil change story - 991.1 :-) So I go to the local dealer with a needed repair & since it is going to be there, I asked for a oil change; simple enough. I picked the car up on “one of those days”, & drove off without checking the level. Stopped for a train the next day, checked the oil level. From day one, the level has always been just below the max. We.l, it is sitting almost down two bars.
Almost time to head out on a long Ross trip, I went back the next day. They said they checked and all ok, but added .5 qt. since I was accustomed to a higher reading. Looking at the level, nothing changed.

Also asked them to check all levels with the upcoming trip. All ok. Well, for the time being, I have to park under this great 200 year old oak tree. The next day, I had to open the frunk. The washer fluid cap is covered with leaves. That did not happen overnight, so that obviously was not checked. So the question arises, what else was not checked.

As luck would have it, needed a windshield the next week. Enough of the local dealership! Headed up the road to the guys I really like & trust, 65 miles. Got a nice Macan loaner for a week & was greeted by the service mgr when I returned. I asked them to check the oil level sensor, which turned out to be ok. They replaced the windshield, topped off all levels, added 1.5 Ots. oil, He says, oh, D tweaked the tune while he was in it. The invoice? Windshield only.

So after this dealership oil change, a total of 2.1 qts. we’re added if I believe the first dealer. So I am finally confident that I can head out without concerns. With the above in mind, looking at 8-10K miles on this run. Should I consider an oil change half way, or stop in Baton Rouge on the way back? The oil is always changed at 5K.
Old 06-04-2023, 10:17 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 460 Posts

UR dealer is alot more patient than mine and generous.
Old 07-02-2024, 12:08 PM
rickeverett
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you mean they CHARGED you for 9 quarts...could have been 8. I dunno I opened the 9th so I'll charge for the 9th..

Originally Posted by Haliax
I just had my first oil change at the dealer. They had it completed within 90 minutes, so they couldn't have let it drain for more than 40 minutes.

Like everyone else, it took 9 quarts of fresh oil.

Quick Reply: 9.3 Quarts of oil on 991.2 oil change???