Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You'll never see this rare exterior option in the configurator pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 02:52 PM
Bartleby7334
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I confess that the nostalgia for my '86 GR Targa (sold long ago) with black door handles is the main reason I ordered this option on my Touring. I miss that old gal.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:59 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

That's the great thing about being able to order a custom built Porsche. The combination of selected options are nearly unlimited. Something for everyone, including the ability to say, "hey Hans, paint my door handles schwartz and glanz!".
Old 07-03-2018, 06:39 PM
slocumda@yahoo.com
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Oaktown
Black Handles work well especially if trimmed out with additional blacks. It's a personal preference, just like polarizing Lava Orange and GBM Graphite Blue METALLIC.
-Lava Orange works well with the wing and is fantastic in Track shots. Many don't like the Grays that are in the Orange. I do. Always liked the Pastel colors. LO does it for me on a GT3, not so much on a base 911 or others. The GT3 is an "affordable" Supercar with a wing and deserves uniqueness. Barney Purple, another unique GT worthy color, many folks love it, RS Worthy, but just not for me. Looks great when others drive it. In Silver or Black wheels.
-GBM is another Gray based color, wonderful to me. Many don't like from photos on the internet. Seeing it in person and in various lighting seems to change peoples minds. Wanted to paint old Alfa's this color for 20+ years. Look at some of the old classic 356 Blue Grays. Nice. Finally the Grays are becoming more popular. Toyotas, Subarus, Lambo's, and thankfully Porsche design center saw the light too. Take a look at GBM in shadows, Sunlight, indoor , outdoor. See the metal flakes come out. It's a great color choice that seems to give the car multiple personalities. Subtle and low-key, but also the quality Supercar zing in many well lit areas.
-Black Handles - In person, those who notice, question at first, then seem to come around and most really like. We have been programmed for a long time to think a black door handle is low budget, from basic parts bin, "DX" inexpensive. Looking at some of the GT3 color choices the doors can begin to look as a blank slate and a bit boring, like a white sheet-rocked wall with-out any art. Door Handles painted same as body used to be a Premium for a Mono look. Now everybody does it, Hyundai and KIA, it has become boring. Designs shift. Porsche has done this well. Recommend viewing in person. And if it grabs your eye, it could be you've become even more enticed to grab it and get in and drive.

.2T GBM and .1 LO

GBM, Satin Wheels, Black Trim, and PCCBs

GT3T open

2018 GT3-Touring GBM w Satin Wheels

GT3-T w Black Trim

Graphite Blue METALLIC
Your GT3 in that color looks amazing. I find that some colors really stand out on certain models and not others even though all 911's are so much alike. The black door handles look better with your GBM than on white or chalk in my mind. They also look great on Panzer966's night blue metalic Macan while being more subtle. The thing I find so interesting is how different we all are and to say that one's feelings about good design being better than another's is not clear-cut. Art and design concepts are forever evolving, and what we think is excellent today may not be so tomorrow. True there are traditional standards that most designs harken back to but for heavens sake, things would get pretty boring if we didn't think out of the box!
Old 07-03-2018, 06:45 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I saw a GT Silver 718 with black handles and didn't like it at all. Theoretically it should work but the Black is a very loud piano gloss black.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:05 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny, not too long ago body color painted mirrors and door handles were an upgrade on a lot of cars. Here is white 2018 Carrera with black handles, $170 option...

https://www.sun-motor.porschedealer....49c799ba0e.htm
Old 07-04-2018, 03:21 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

It works well with other parts in gloss black. I saw them on a GT3 and it bothered me that the other black accents were more matte than the handles.

I want silver handles like the 1,000,000 911 or even better chrome.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:36 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Panzer966
I ordered my Macan GTS and was really nervous about this option but it turned out amazing with this colour scheme, I went for a lot of black accent + GTS trim with Night blue metallic, it turned out pretty good. The black door handle look amazing, not cheesy or cheap (my opinion).
Stunning car! Pics like that make me miss my Macan. I mean, my 911 has completely overperformed to where it’s hard for me to miss ANYTHING I’ve previously had, but there’s still a spot in my heart for the Macan. In a perfect world, I’d have both simultaneously.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:27 AM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Black door handles only belong on a black car. They look kind of cheesy otherwise in my opinion and stick out like a sore thumb. A door handle shouldn't be accented or have attention brought to it. It should blend in. Porsche has ugly door handles as is. This probably won't be an option on the 992.
+1
Old 07-04-2018, 12:49 PM
Panzer966
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Stunning car! Pics like that make me miss my Macan. I mean, my 911 has completely overperformed to where it’s hard for me to miss ANYTHING I’ve previously had, but there’s still a spot in my heart for the Macan. In a perfect world, I’d have both simultaneously.
I know exactly what you mean
Old 07-05-2018, 05:16 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

To each his own, but why not wrap the standard painted handles? You'll save money, probably do better at trade in and the wrap will take the scratches that seem to pop up on door handles.

Alternatively, you could go full on miss match:
Old 07-06-2018, 02:50 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Panzer966
I know exactly what you mean
Now dass what I'm talkin' bout.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:06 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone
I like the black door handles. ***
My local dealer ordered cars in Miami Blue. Lave Orange and Racing Yellow, all with black handles for inventory. I thought they all looked nice. In fact I ordered my yellow car with the black handles.
Count me in the black door handle column. My yellow Boxster GTS has them and I love them. My chalk 911 TTS doesn't have them and I wish it did. They work when they're part of a color theme -- black and yellow, black and chalk, etc.
That having been said, options are there because our tastes differ -- and Porsche sure knows how to make money off of that!!
Old 07-06-2018, 01:30 PM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 164 Posts

Love them too and was really happy to see them become available for the 2019 GTS models.

I'm picking up my car in 2 weeks at the factory and have the black handles specced on my Chalk GTS.

Name:  photo978.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  212.7 KB
Old 07-06-2018, 05:10 PM
One N Done
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Paxton, Looks great! Please post pics when you get it. It looks very close to what I am doing. Thanks.
Old 07-06-2018, 06:21 PM
paxton
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by One N Done
Paxton, Looks great! Please post pics when you get it. It looks very close to what I am doing. Thanks.
Will do!

Quick Reply: You'll never see this rare exterior option in the configurator pictures