Sponsored by:

Intermitent Homelink?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 08:41 PM
mapman
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Intermitent Homelink?

Did a quick search and did not see anything related to this issue that I have. I have a 2017 991.2 GTS and programmed the homelink buttons just fine. I use the car about twice a week and when I start up and decide to drive it, the homelink doesn't seem to activate the garage door closers. Upon returning from a spirited (or frankly any other) drive, as I pull into the driveway, Homelink works just fine. Anyone else have this issue? Is there some sort of battery that needs to charge up? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:16 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you put LED bulbs in the garage door opener? There's a warning on mine not to use LEDs because they might cause interference. Maybe the lights are on after you've manually opened the door as you entered the garage and are still on as you're trying to close the door with the Homelink remote. When you return the remote will work because the lights are off and don't interfere. Just a thought because it happened to me.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:52 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,108 Likes on 667 Posts

When I first brought my 2017 home I had months of trouble getting Homelink programmed to my Liftmaster system. A few times I could not get it working at all; other times I got it to work, but only for a day or two. At one point, the garage door tech helped, but even then it did not last. Then late last year I went through the procedure again, and it has worked since then. I have noticed a limited range, and sometimes have to pull up close to the door (outside) to get it to open.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:27 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I've found the Homelink signal in my 911 does not have a particularly wide dispersal pattern. Coming into the driveway I'm pretty much pointing at the garage, and it works every time (even from a good ways away while I'm still on the street). However, if my car is perpendicular to the garage door only a few feet away, it generally won't work. I have to back up a few feet to get the door opener in the signal pattern. Bottom line, I don't think it has anything to do with signal strength, but rather signal pattern.
Old 07-02-2018, 09:53 AM
mapman
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I did put LED lights in the operators. That sounds like a plausible issue. Interestingly, there is no problem with the Homelink operation from my BMW X3 operating the same doors with the LED's. Will try a few things and keep the forum up to date on results.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:23 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

I ended up buying a Genie unit that greatly extends the reception of the signal from the Porsche and my other cars as well... although the Porsche was the one that really needed it. I can now hit the opener from about 150 feet away instead of point blank range like I used to. Here's the unit and one place you can buy it if the led lighting doesn't turn out to be the issue.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Genie-Un...D-1T/100654121
Old 07-02-2018, 10:55 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

Mine works flawlessly but I have a Direct Drive by Sommer - German-made. My Porsche communicates very well with it.

On the other hand, I cannot get my wife's GMC Yukon XL Denali to communicate with it to save my life...
Old 07-02-2018, 11:08 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,227 Likes on 742 Posts

Had a hard time programming mine. Had to try it about 8 times over several days, but finally got it to work. Once programmed, have not had any hiccups whatsoever.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:42 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

LED Bulbs are definitely a possible cause. My LED Landscaping lights play hell with my reception

Quick Reply: Intermitent Homelink?