Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How long do you plan on keeping your 991?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 01:06 PM
cpbmd
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by TsaiCo
Like most of you guys, I do also change cars around 3~4 years.

My wife made me sign an agreement no changing cars for 20 years when I got the Porsche

you guys think it's a wise decision?
lol. I had to do the same thing. She made me sign an 8 year agreement.
It might eventually come down to a 992 or the wife. That would be a tough decision.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:14 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrod
I don’t see myself getting rid of mine for a long while. If I found a 991.1 gts that I really like or gt3 perhaps sooner rather than later. Maybe if Porsche went back to N/A in the 992 Carreras I would surely consider getting one of them! Lol
I'm in a similar situation. The .2 and 992 (and all others) does nothing for me. They sound like crap, all turbos lag to some degree, and it adds another huge layer of devastating maintenance bills should one keep it long term.

So my 12.5 991.1S keeps looking better and better. The .1 GT4 theoretically qualifies as desirable to me, but is a neutered version of what I already have and I see no reason to trade down to a Cayman (I'm a fan of the platform but that's still what it is).

The GT3 (.1 and .2) DOES excite me enough to make the move, but the .2 is unobtanium unless you're tight with a professional flipper in Calabasas. The .1 is IMO in many ways an even better choice than the .2, however I'm scared off by the engine issues.

So that leaves the .1 I already have (could trade for a GTS or a 50th I guess) or the possibility of a .2 Cayman/Boxster if (big if) they really make them something special. Like 400+ 9000 rpm engines etc, but most chatter is that won't happen.

I already have winter wheels and tires for my .1S, it's out of warranty (been 100% so far) and only has 20k on the clock. Love the color and options and am even thinking of some reasonable aftermarket upgrades.

That said, does anyone know of a more concise source for upgrade options (without having to search 50 different threads). Nothing severe, don't want to overclock it too much and not going big block V8 or nitrous or straight pipe exhaust etc.

Just basic things like a throttle body, neighborhood friendly exhaust, air filters, spark plugs, and MAYBE a reasonable flash as long as it was 100% reliable.

Saw on suncoast they offer flashes alone that claim to bump HP from 400 to 430 and a similar bump in torque (basically like the 10k powerkit at 1/10 the price). That seems too good to be true, and even if it is then the gains with the other things should easily push 450.

Either that or talk me into (or out of!) a .1 GT3 E engine CPO because I keep looking at those.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:20 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,277 Likes on 766 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I'm in a similar situation. The .2 and 992 (and all others) does nothing for me. They sound like crap, all turbos lag to some degree, and it adds another huge layer of devastating maintenance bills should one keep it long term.
Just curious, what are these devastating maintenance bills you speak of?
Old 07-03-2018, 02:27 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,035 Likes on 616 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
I think he assumes that the a turbo systems with all their associated extra components and plumbing could add more in the long term. Where in most cars this seems to hold true, but turbos in the porsche world seem to be relatively trouble free assuming you keep them stock.

I came from the Audi/BMW world where the turbos and associated plumbing failed regularly at higher mileage.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:35 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Either that or talk me into (or out of!) a .1 GT3 E engine CPO because I keep looking at those.
Just get a GT3 instead of modifying a regular .1 Carrera. You'll never make it into a GT3 no matter how much money you throw at it, it's a completely different animal. Personally I don't see a point in heavily modifying the .1, you're going to be spending tons of money for very little extra power. On a turbo car it makes sense, I just don't see the point on the NA cars.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:11 PM
TsaiCo
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
Your wife made you sign an agreement? I hope you're joking.
there are others like me....at least when the time comes, we negotiate again...nothing is set in stone...no?
Old 07-03-2018, 04:30 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

there are others like me....at least when the time comes, we negotiate again...nothing is set in stone...no?
Your wife wrote up an agreement on a piece of paper.. About keeping your car for 20 years. And made you sign it. If a husband had done something like that to his wife everyone would be calling the husband abusive, and IMHO rightly so.

But I digress, it's getting off topic. If you're OK with it, who am I to say anything. Carry on.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:52 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tse
The extra cost for turbos. Obviously that doesn't apply to people who constantly swap cars before warranty expires etc. but I see the 991.2 as having the same engine and transmission repair costs PLUS the added cost of having to replace the turbos if necessary. I don't want to overstate that as the primary concern because it's not, it's just something to think about. In any case NA is just superior IMO and turbos don't excite me enough to even consider trading my .1 for a .2.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:54 PM
TsaiCo
Racer

Your wife wrote up an agreement on a piece of paper.. About keeping your car for 20 years. And made you sign it. If a husband had done something like that to his wife everyone would be calling the husband abusive, and IMHO rightly so.

But I digress, it's getting off topic. If you're OK with it, who am I to say anything. Carry on.
I think it's more serious in certain ethnic in regards to signing stuff, whereas my background is heavily laid over lots of Eastern/Asian culture and school of thoughts in Taoism.

joking around things over purchasing methodology in luxury goods would be a nice dinner topic to entertain guests (here on the forum), nothing serious about signing the document in terms if its court enforceable...
Old 07-03-2018, 05:48 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

I think it's more serious in certain ethnic in regards to signing stuff, whereas my background is heavily laid over lots of Eastern/Asian culture and school of thoughts in Taoism.

joking around things over purchasing methodology in luxury goods would be a nice dinner topic to entertain guests (here on the forum), nothing serious about signing the document in terms if its court enforceable...
Thankfully my girlfriend is understanding of my car habit, hopefully that won't change when we get married lol. Might have to have some documents written up explicitly giving me permission to change out cars as often as I want. :-)

In any case, a Porsche is definitely a car you can keep for 20 years. Out of all the cars out there, I can't think of a single other car I could say that about.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:46 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

The extra cost for turbos. Obviously that doesn't apply to people who constantly swap cars before warranty expires etc. but I see the 991.2 as having the same engine and transmission repair costs PLUS the added cost of having to replace the turbos if necessary. I don't want to overstate that as the primary concern because it's not, it's just something to think about. In any case NA is just superior IMO and turbos don't excite me enough to even consider trading my .1 for a .2.
I’m as NA enthusiast as anyone but I doubt the probability of turbo failure is high enough to factor it into your TCO expectations. I think the only difference ownership costs-wise is probably a slight increase in major service costs to account for the extra labor involved in accessing the spark plugs to replace.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:04 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd
lol. I had to do the same thing. She made me sign an 8 year agreement.
It might eventually come down to a 992 or the wife. That would be a tough decision.
Depends on the color and options.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:23 PM
TsaiCo
Racer

most definitely......

I think I'm getting into the last gen of NA (991.1) is a smart move, just knowing its not going to depreciate aggressive than other brand in the same catagory. plus, in 20 years, the way i see the 993 or 964 now, 991.1 might be in the same class...you think?

Thankfully my girlfriend is understanding of my car habit, hopefully that won't change when we get married lol. Might have to have some documents written up explicitly giving me permission to change out cars as often as I want. :-)

In any case, a Porsche is definitely a car you can keep for 20 years. Out of all the cars out there, I can't think of a single other car I could say that about.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:52 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dewinator
I’m as NA enthusiast as anyone but I doubt the probability of turbo failure is high enough to factor it into your TCO expectations. I think the only difference ownership costs-wise is probably a slight increase in major service costs to account for the extra labor involved in accessing the spark plugs to replace.
I don't really disagree with that. Like I said, I realize it's not a huge and inevitably imminent expense, and we're that the only concern I had, I'd have no problem getting one. The .2's just sound like motorboats to me. I think the .1's are going to age very well.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:21 PM
Jrod
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most definitely......

I think I'm getting into the last gen of NA (991.1) is a smart move, just knowing its not going to depreciate aggressive than other brand in the same catagory. plus, in 20 years, the way i see the 993 or 964 now, 991.1 might be in the same class...you think?
That’s something that could become true many years from now. I could see the 991.1 Carrera (especially the gts) becoming very desirable because of Porsche going all turbo. IMO the .2 is no doubt a great car but a 911 Carrera that doesn’t have a turbo badge not being NA is not for me. I don’t like all those .1 vs .2 threads and boggles my my mind that guys that own and drive the greatest and most iconic sports car we’ll ever see can bash anything about any of them (aside from the 996 headlights). Anyway, as a 911 fan I hope Porsche continues to move forward and keep the 911 on top because Porsche building a sub par 911 is a terrible thought and won’t do a bit of good for any of us.

Quick Reply: How long do you plan on keeping your 991?