991.2 COBB tune - Impressions and Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 06:53 PM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
Don't apologize, it needed it!

1.) It doesn't suck the file out and send back a new file as much as it writes to certain tables in the file. Installing their Stage 0 map is essentially flashing the stock tables back in; uninstalling the Accessport entirely returns the car 100% back to stock and unmarries the AP from the car. It does not modify the write counters or the program dates, as you are not programming the ECU, just editing tables.
2.) On the .1 and the .2 you don't but as you go more aggressive with the tunes, should this be a a track car, it will generate less heat on track with a higher flowing exhaust. Intercoolers are only required if you're going more aggressive with the tuning OR if you live in a part of the world where intake air temps are egregious like they are here in Florida.
3.) You can run off the shelf maps or have a pro tuner modify the maps for different applications. For example, i have made several tunes for .2 owners that go on track in the summer and the winter so we have varyling levels of aggression as well as tunes for different rated octane fuel. If you want more information you can always call the shop and ask for Wray!

John
Thanks for the input. I think I may just play it safe and wait until after my warranty is up. I don’t plan to track the car, but would like to take it to the track if that makes sense lol. Not full on racing power required, but I would like to bump the power as much as I can, as safely as possible. Same question to you as I posted above ^^^. What are 991’s looking at in terms of power increase on a safer stage one map? Just so I know what to expect with my 992

Last edited by jkautz; 10-22-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:44 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by jkautz
What are people seeing in terms of power increase with a stage one map?
For me it was 93whp. Went from 359whp stock to 452whp with just stage 1ots tune (no hardware changes)
Old 10-23-2019, 08:19 AM
DaniMonteiro991
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine went from 357 to 458
Old 10-23-2019, 08:23 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 454 Posts

80-90 hp seems about right with maps 102 or 103. Looking at more recent logs, the revised cobb maps are dialed down quite a bit, maybe 7-8 less pounds of boost. Also the torque limits are down about 100 ft-lb. I wouldnt expect anywhere near these gains on the new maps, but the cars seem much happier (less overboost, less timing pull). I would be shocked if theyre more than a 50-60 whp gain now.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:25 AM
jkautz
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
For me it was 93whp. Went from 359whp stock to 452whp with just stage 1ots tune (no hardware changes)
Originally Posted by DaniMonteiro991
Mine went from 357 to 458
That sounds pretty good with no mods. I’m looking forward to the COBB accessport for the 992 when it becomes available.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:27 PM
damien996
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Does anyone have the maps or a link to the v105 maps? I asked Cobb to post these maps and they’ve been in no rush to get these posted, probably for the torque and power has dropped significantly albeit the car is very happy with v105.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:33 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by damien996
Does anyone have the maps or a link to the v105 maps? I asked Cobb to post these maps and they’ve been in no rush to get these posted, probably for the torque and power has dropped significantly albeit the car is very happy with v105.
IIRC you update the AP through AP Manager and it will update your maps. Then you reload the map to the ECU. We did this shortly after V105 became available. It definitely smoothed out the power delivery as we had some tip-in surge from a dig.

Directly from Cobb's 'Map Notes'...

Revision Notes:

V105 - Updated maps for better load control and shifting performance

V104 - Updated maps to fix DTC issues.

V103 - Minor Map Updates

V102 - Bug fix for Lambda tables in previous map versions. Added Stage2 OTS maps for all Carrera models

V101 - Updated maps to pick up back end software improvements.

V100 - Initial Release Calibration. Adjusted ignition timing, airflow limits, throttle limits, and fuel as well as other tables that help maintain drivability and increase performance all while maintaining reliability.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:27 PM
damien996
Advanced

As expected based on driving impressions, the latest v105 / v106 map from Cobb is a significant reduction in both torque and HP from previous map versions but the power delivery is smooth and linear - very impressive considering it’s not a custom tune. V105 is still a huge increase over the stock performance. The link below shows the peak gains, max gains, and the charts.

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wik...rera+Map+Notes
Old 11-22-2019, 09:38 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,610 Posts

As expected based on driving impressions, the latest v105 / v106 map from Cobb is a significant reduction in both torque and HP from previous map versions but the power delivery is smooth and linear - very impressive considering it’s not a custom tune. V105 is still a huge increase over the stock performance. The link below shows the peak gains, max gains, and the charts.

That is interesting because some other folks here who upgraded to v106 recently wrote that their cars feel quicker now than with the earlier maps.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 11-22-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 08:34 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

I can tell you first hand from dyno testing and dozens of pulls using a Dragy that the overall performance from the latest maps is lower than the original maps. Boost has been lowered and overall torque and HP numbers are down as a result. However, by doing this, Cobb has eliminated the problems some were having with improper shifting and jumpy acceleration. As others have said, the power/acceleration is more linear and smoother overall with no hesitation or clunkiness in the shifting.

Clearly the cars computer didnt play well with over-boosting to the levels the original maps had set.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:18 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I can tell you first hand from dyno testing and dozens of pulls using a Dragy that the overall performance from the latest maps is lower than the original maps. Boost has been lowered and overall torque and HP numbers are down as a result. However, by doing this, Cobb has eliminated the problems some were having with improper shifting and jumpy acceleration. As others have said, the power/acceleration is more linear and smoother overall with no hesitation or clunkiness in the shifting.

Clearly the cars computer didnt play well with over-boosting to the levels the original maps had set.
How much of TQ/HP loss did you see?
Old 11-23-2019, 10:48 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I dont have the numbers in front of me, but I was running 0-60 in 3.0 and now I am running at 3.2. Based on the dragy numbers it was dialed down something like 7-8% from the original "hot" map.
I also have a pro tune but, the pro tunes are based on the Cobb Factory maps and then altered for your specific car. Cobb dialed down a lot of different tables in addition to the boost, so it isnt
easy to get the pro tune to squeeze out every ounce of tq/hp because certain tables (and there are hundreds of them) were dialed back in the new maps.

Dont get me wrong, my pro tune got a significant increase over the stock stage 2 Map, but it isnt as aggressive as the pro tune I got based on the original stock maps.
BUT, and a big BUT here... My original pro tune based on the original stock map was having all sorts of shifting issues and stuttering so, I guess I cant have my cake and eat it too..
Old 11-23-2019, 10:56 AM
damien996
Advanced

Original charts with torque and HP gains over stock are here:

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/...-carrera-s-gts

v105 / v106 charts with torque and HP gains over stock are here, posted by Cobb on 10/31/19:

Old 11-23-2019, 11:25 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Based on my GTS from the original maps to the new map, the HP is down 8% which is about what I figured.

If you gained 8hp from a tune it would be pretty good, so to lose 8hp from one map to another is pretty significant.
Not happy about the tune being neutered but, if it cant drive well then it isnt worth sh..t anyway, so I guess they did what they had to do,

My car was spot on perfect with a pro tune on the original maps, but just wouldnt shift from 3rd to 4th or was it 4th to 5th?
In any case, it wouldnt shift out of just one gear. If I was able to tweak just that one shift point the car would have been a monster..
Old 11-23-2019, 11:29 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Original charts with torque and HP gains over stock are here:

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/...-carrera-s-gts

v105 / v106 charts with torque and HP gains over stock are here, posted by Cobb on 10/31/19:

Got it, so it looks to me that a v105 Stage 1 93 tune now brings peak TQ/HP levels on a base Carrera up to stock Carrera GTS levels.

Quick Reply: 991.2 COBB tune - Impressions and Dyno