various cheeses
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 06-29-2018, 05:57 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Sigh. Most humans are lazy and thoughtless. Some are dicks (or the female equivalent). And some of those will do things even they would regret (at least if they got caught). Certainly almost all are less polite than they could/should be.

Maybe some encouragement is necessary. Maybe the right decal on the 911? I suspect even the most passive/agressive types would rather avoid real crazy.
I know it's a joke but since "firearm invincibility syndrome" is a common occurrence amongst Americans, that would obviously invite more attention and more issues. Anyone with a fraction of psychological knowhow will assume that especially a 911 owner has way too much to lose then to pull out a gun, nevermind use it, and risk their own entire life, because of a mere automotive mishap.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:58 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,190 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
wonder if it would be worth it, as after you get the yelling done, next day to go to the gym you find a nice big scratch on your beautiful Porsche when you go to drive home

people are vindictive .
Interesting you mention this as it happened to a friend of mine long time ago.

He drove into the mall, saw a spot (lot was full) and sped into it, apparently beating some chick in a pick up truck to it.

She started yelling at him at which point he returned the favor with using the c-word (lot was full of people) and she freaked and then drove off.

Like an idiot he went in to do his shopping and when he returned to the car voila, entire side scratched nice and deep.

Now one might think he deserved it, and he probably did, but the story doesn't end there.

A few weeks later he was back at that same mall and guess who he saw drive in? Yup, he recognized her and the truck immediately and took down the plate.

Now one might think he would have high tailed it to the cops but no, he was able to have a friend run the plate and get her address.

I will let your imaginations end the story there but the moral here is that people are not only vindictive but some can be downright scary.

It's simply not worth it...
Old 06-29-2018, 06:06 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by tse
Interesting you mention this as it happened to a friend of mine long time ago.

He drove into the mall, saw a spot (lot was full) and sped into it, apparently beating some chick in a pick up truck to it.

She started yelling at him at which point he returned the favor with using the c-word (lot was full of people) and she freaked and then drove off.

Like an idiot he went in to do his shopping and when he returned to the car voila, entire side scratched nice and deep.

Now one might think he deserved it, and he probably did, but the story doesn't end there.

A few weeks later he was back at that same mall and guess who he saw drive in? Yup, he recognized her and the truck immediately and took down the plate.

Now one might think he would have high tailed it to the cops but no, he was able to have a friend run the plate and get her address.

I will let your imaginations end the story there but the moral here is that people are not only vindictive but some can be downright scary.

It's simply not worth it...
It sounds lame as it doesn't fill our tough-guy quotas, but the real winner of any scenario is the one with too much too lose and too important a life to risk it, or any of its assets, wrestling in the mud with a creature bound up in dirt.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:28 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Originally Posted by K-A
It sounds lame as it doesn't fill our tough-guy quotas, but the real winner of any scenario is the one with too much too lose and too important a life to risk it, or any of its assets, wrestling in the mud with a creature bound up in dirt.
The risk is that one just never knows to what extremes some will go.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:00 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
The risk is that one just never knows to what extremes some will go.
I never ever argue with anyone. Want the spot? Take it. Smile!
Cut me off and I may silently swear in my car, that's it!
For other brave souls, I have a carry permit...
Old 06-29-2018, 08:00 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
This is ridiculous. Get away with what? Parking in a designated spot within the lines? And what would you tell them?

No one works out 7 days a week. Why do you? Or are you exaggerating again?
Lol, you are being confrontational and judgmental.

I am in the gym 5 to 7 days a week, limited only by a heavy litigation schedule, as are my non-muffin top buddies that can actually see uhm anything below their waist and actually appear as if they have priorities beyond espn, cheap beer and hot wings.

You must be used to those girly men, out of shape fat guys and wanna be beach bodies, but cannot stop eating KFC and drinking cheap beer types who think they work out by hitting treadmill for 10 minutes, creating lines for the women on the nautilus equipment and sweat all over the benches doing their 50 pound dumbbell presses . . . and then stand around talking real loudly about their workout routine they didn’t just do.

Perhaps it’s just because I am old as fuch, but I wish someone could tell me how to keep my six pack and around 10 to 12% bf at 51 by hitting the gym only 3 or 5 days a week.

RE: Parking

Dudes, they are just fuching cars and massed produced cars at that. Drive them, enjoy them and stop worrying about it. I park my Italians and my DB11 in normal parking spots with all of the normal or lesser cars and guess what . . . Nothing happens! The world didn’t end and the earth is still spinning. I think parking out in center field somewhere invites the mental unstable, insecure and resentful types to take notice.

i cannot imagine paying $$$ for a car and not driving it because I was afraid of door dings or parking it somewhere. Then again, my primary purpose of purchasing cars to enjoy the driving experience and could care less about a few easily corrected minor cosmetic blemishes here and there.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:06 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bemo
I never ever argue with anyone. Want the spot? Take it. Smile!
Cut me off and I may silently swear in my car, that's it!
For other brave souls, I have a carry permit...
This is sage advice.

In Canada however I can only carry a hockey stick.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:18 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

You never know what sort of crazy you will encounter. This has happened to me many times. In some cases it was about someone proving a point (like the giant lifted pickup truck that decided to park so close I had to crawl through the passenger door of the cayman).

In a few cases people just parked close to compliment the car and talk about it.

As far as confronting I have done it but it has never went smooth. Normally people just are clueless not malicious and view me as the nut.

You never know what sort of person you will run into. Many years ago my mom graciously flipped off a guy in another car that cut her off. He basically chased her through the town in his car, beat on her car at a stop light, and tried to drag her out of the car. Thankfully the police intervened before anyone got hurt.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:28 AM
Z00mie
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

There was a time when I got wrapped up in this, the logic, the games etc. Sometimes folks park next to us closely because they know we wont ding them. Others just to see or be near the cool car. Others as a method of spite, animosity or mindlessness. Most folks are pretty careful. I've gotten comfy with my local PDR guy so I don't take it quite as serious as in the past. My C4S has some key marks that are too deep to polish out now. Nothing stays new, Stuff happens. I try to comfort myself that it's just character lines. Interestingly or not, my approach to these cars is to be a good steward of the Marque and the actual automobile. Some folks don't seem one bit concerned about trashing their P-car and dumping it on someone else or the local dealer, "who gives a poop, its just a lease", or my pockets are deep I'll just get another. these same folks are the first to whine about landfills full of plastic or paper or the waste of some other resource. Be a good custodian, but not just because it'll tarnish your fragile self image...
Old 06-29-2018, 08:51 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by ClassJ
You never know what sort of crazy you will encounter. This has happened to me many times. In some cases it was about someone proving a point (like the giant lifted pickup truck that decided to park so close I had to crawl through the passenger door of the cayman).

In a few cases people just parked close to compliment the car and talk about it.

As far as confronting I have done it but it has never went smooth. Normally people just are clueless not malicious and view me as the nut.

You never know what sort of person you will run into. Many years ago my mom graciously flipped off a guy in another car that cut her off. He basically chased her through the town in his car, beat on her car at a stop light, and tried to drag her out of the car. Thankfully the police intervened before anyone got hurt.

Heard stories like that as well.

I have a friend who's a particular nut when it comes to these things. He'd call me weekly with some story about somebody who "wronged" him on the roads (funny how it's always those who attract such occurrences that it happens to most. It's as if.... they're putting that energy out [shocker]). When somebody would flip him off, he'd run their car off the roads and get out with a ski mask on and some blunt object in his hand. He'd always be in a suit, so people would understandably lose their sh** when they see a guy in a super clean black sedan get out wearing a suit and ski mask. He's told me other stories (that thankfully didn't resort to physical violence) that I won't repeat here.

Knowing crazies is a good way to earn enough street smarts to read situations for yourself, or be too "over it" and knowledgable to get caught up yourself. Easier said than done, of course, but you can learn valuable lessons from stories of others.

EDIT:

My older brother is a particular driving psycho. Once when I was a teen, we were in his Bimmer on a highway, and some kid in a Civic cuts him off and flips him the bird. My brother proceeds to speed up, cut the kid off so close he almost took his bumper off, and JAMS on his brakes to come to a complete stop.... ON THE FREEWAY. The kid in the Civic was obviously vigorously braking so as not to hit his bumper (which was just inches away). Then once stopped, he was too close to my brother's bumper to make a left or right and pass him, so he was at his mercy until my brother moved. My brother sat there for several seconds, stuck his hand out of the sunroof, flipped him a bird back, and sped off. I'll never forget how terrified said kid looked. Which reminds me of another life lesson for some: Sometimes they gotta mess with the "wrong one" to not mess with anyone again.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:53 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

You should see what they're saying on the Honda Forums this morning.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:24 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

All depends on where you live too. I lived right across the river NYC for 35 years.

1) There are not enough hours in a day to seek revenge on the people who wrong you on a daily basis in cars or otherwise

2) Most days the “crazies” outnumber you

Quick Reply: Why are people Ass*oles ?