Sponsored by:

Why are people Ass*oles ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 10:24 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 304 Posts
Default Parking Lot - Shopping Cart Conversations

I had a conversation with a big lady outside of Publix one day about her shopping cart. Instead of pushing it over to the cart holder 10 feet away she was just leaving it on a hill in the parking lot to ruin someones car. I did confront her and asked her if she was okay with someone messing up her car while she was gone. She replied that she did not care because she had insurance. I then asked her if she knew how they determined rates ? This did not seem to dissuade her from being lazy. This lady was stupid. No amount of explaining would make her not stupid. Calling her out on her lazy sht however may convince her not to do it again. I think calling people out may not always work but it always makes me feel better. I have even questioned people as to whether they have a physical disability and I can assist to be nice. I don't park my 991 at any grocery store or other busy parking lot, ever. Costco is as far as I will go but even that makes me nervous. My gym, no way.

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Lex! Come on lots of people do, I do. Anyway, yes this happens all the time. I once came out of a Food Lion after shopping, I had parked all the way out in an empty parking lot and some folks meeting up with a moving truck were leaning against the Boxster I had at the time! I walked over to the passenger door to set my groceries on the seat and they had to move so I could open my door. I took a very close look to make sure they hadn't scratched it. They clearly were totally clueless. I just shook my head in amazement. Most folks that do this just aren't aware and don't have respect or realize they need to have respect for others property. My Cayenne is scuffed up (and I'll polish it out) from computer bags and purses. I always park on end and give folks at least 5+ feet so their door can't hit me, but they still find a way to rub up against it. As long as there aren't any deep scratches or dings I live with it. Frustrates me a lot but I get over it quick. Of course I never see the offending car because I'm in before others and leave after others.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:50 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Z00mie
There was a time when I got wrapped up in this, the logic, the games etc. Sometimes folks park next to us closely because they know we wont ding them. Others just to see or be near the cool car. Others as a method of spite, animosity or mindlessness. Most folks are pretty careful. I've gotten comfy with my local PDR guy so I don't take it quite as serious as in the past. My C4S has some key marks that are too deep to polish out now. Nothing stays new, Stuff happens. I try to comfort myself that it's just character lines. Interestingly or not, my approach to these cars is to be a good steward of the Marque and the actual automobile. Some folks don't seem one bit concerned about trashing their P-car and dumping it on someone else or the local dealer, "who gives a poop, its just a lease", or my pockets are deep I'll just get another. these same folks are the first to whine about landfills full of plastic or paper or the waste of some other resource. Be a good custodian, but not just because it'll tarnish your fragile self image...
Good outlook.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:54 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

Reminds me of a story many years ago at the local grocery store. Lady was in front of her food cart putting her food on the conveyor belt. I was behind her and her cart. Cashier rang her up, she paid and was ready to leave. I said, "Lady, you left your cart here". The empty cart was in front of me and there was no way I could get my groceries on the conveyor belt because her cart was in the way. Instead of making ANY attempt at civility, she replied, "Oh, I guess I am a bad person," and just walked away.

Some people as just too clueless and rude for words.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:10 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Very entertaining thread. I also am amazed at the number of times "gym" has been mentioned. Ego is alive and well in the 911 forums! Regarding the parking stuff... I agree with those that said people with something to lose rarely benefit from messing with those that have nothing to lose. This applies to almost all situations in life. Looking forward to more entertainment here! I'm new to the Porsche world. Just picked up my first one. 2015 991 TTS. So far I love it!

Matt
Old 06-29-2018, 01:54 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Swenny
Might as well never go outside then.
Or you can avoid provoking the Jersey Shore spray on tan steroid dude with his posse of 6 guys that always hog the bench press.

You know the ones who will meet you in the parking lot when you call them out on the gym intercom and then take turns dancing on your face and kicking your teeth in while saying “You mad bro?” over and over.

The Honda is parked within the white lines. You dont have a door ding. Get over it.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:04 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 977 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by mwlmd
Very entertaining thread. I also am amazed at the number of times "gym" has been mentioned. Ego is alive and well in the 911 forums! Regarding the parking stuff... I agree with those that said people with something to lose rarely benefit from messing with those that have nothing to lose. This applies to almost all situations in life. Looking forward to more entertainment here! I'm new to the Porsche world. Just picked up my first one. 2015 991 TTS. So far I love it!

Matt
i know, i know... i shouldn't reply anymore, but i'm curious about the generalizations everyone seems to love to throw around. many here made them about me without knowing a thing about me. so, why does going to the gym have ANYTHING to do with ego?? seriously? why? i go because i have heart disease in my family and everyone on my father's side dies young from heart attacks. i lift weights, yes. i enjoy it. i also spend time on the tread mill when there. i'm trying to extend my life and watch my 7 y/o daughter grow up. i guess that's ALL EGO, huh? there are 80 y/o men, 80 y/o women, yoga people, spin class people, fat dudes, scrawny dudes, muscle bound dudes, average dudes at my gym - i see them all every single day. i don't care what anyone wants to think of me - arcoril, dkmesa, lexvan - but we shouldn't all assume we know what each other is like and what our motivations are. most people that go to a gym are simply trying to stay healthy - nothing more, nothing less. it's a shame some of you, some on just their 2nd post to the forum, want to project why others are doing what they do. we all have a common bond in cars and porsches, in particular, but when given an opportunity, there are people here who want to jump right in and say "No you wouldn't." I think by now you know i would. i'll do my best to avoid the 991 forum from now on, so i don't ruffle any more feathers.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:07 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
This is ridiculous. Get away with what? Parking in a designated spot within the lines? And what would you tell them?

No one works out 7 days a week. Why do you? Or are you exaggerating again?
That’s what happens when you make assumptions Lex. I work out at least 30 to 40 days a week.

Do you even lift Lex ?
Old 06-29-2018, 03:24 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
i know, i know... i shouldn't reply anymore, but i'm curious about the generalizations everyone seems to love to throw around. many here made them about me without knowing a thing about me. so, why does going to the gym have ANYTHING to do with ego?? seriously? why? i go because i have heart disease in my family and everyone on my father's side dies young from heart attacks. i lift weights, yes. i enjoy it. i also spend time on the tread mill when there. i'm trying to extend my life and watch my 7 y/o daughter grow up. i guess that's ALL EGO, huh? there are 80 y/o men, 80 y/o women, yoga people, spin class people, fat dudes, scrawny dudes, muscle bound dudes, average dudes at my gym - i see them all every single day. i don't care what anyone wants to think of me - arcoril, dkmesa, lexvan - but we shouldn't all assume we know what each other is like and what our motivations are. most people that go to a gym are simply trying to stay healthy - nothing more, nothing less. it's a shame some of you, some on just their 2nd post to the forum, want to project why others are doing what they do. we all have a common bond in cars and porsches, in particular, but when given an opportunity, there are people here who want to jump right in and say "No you wouldn't." I think by now you know i would. i'll do my best to avoid the 991 forum from now on, so i don't ruffle any more feathers.
Come to the forum to get what you want leave the rest for others to bicker over.
Wanting to be healthy is not an ego trip. A lot of folks here have nothing else to do but slam others.
I come here to share but also take what I can from the people with knowledge to pass along. The rest let it go.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:26 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,243 Likes on 751 Posts

^^^

Wow...that Stanozolol is really kicking in...
Old 06-29-2018, 03:31 PM
mwlmd
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

My comment was not intended to slam anyone that goes to the gym. I also go to the Gym I just tend not to post about it. As a healthcare provider I appreciate first hand the value of fitness. So kudos for you for taking a proactive approach to a worrisome family history of heart disease. The Ego was meant more for the 911 forum as a whole (I came from BMW and believe me the egos are alive and well there too). Hearing people (in this case 911 drivers) describe how they would confront someone for parking next to them when other spaces are available is hilarious. I hope my second post was not as ill received as the first one was!!! I was not trying to single folks out. I apologize if it came across that way.

Now on to deciding which exhaust to get!!

Matt
Old 06-29-2018, 03:38 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Last edited by 911Jetta; 07-01-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:46 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

No man. Stay. And keep going to the gym. The local gym is preferable to the one they have at Cardiac rehab. Sounds like you’ve figured this out. Some don’t, or didn’t.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:05 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by mwlmd

Matt
Ego . . . its a Porsche forum for Fuchs sake . . . no one around here has egos, especially those insecure types that mention they got the Turbo edition on the forum for the lowly types that can only afford to swing the NAs.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:09 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

"Yoga People?" WTH is wrong Yoga People you racist, homophob Porsche owner.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:20 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

i don't care what anyone wants to think of me - arcoril, dkmesa, lexvan -
You keep avoiding the question, "What would you have said to the Honda owner who is appropriately parked in a spot between the lines"? You should really answer this question, since you said you'd confront them. Walk us through it. I'd like to hear this.

You also said you work out 7 days per week. You do not work out 7 days per week, and 364 days per year. That's an exaggeration. So, if you so easily exaggerate your work-out schedule, it makes me question your bravado (again exaggerating) about confronting everyday people who park their cars between the lines. Maybe this seems like a great leap for you, but I like to deal with more accuracy. I'm not trying to bust your *****, either.

Good job on your dedicated health regime. It's not easy. Especially with your family history. Good on you. Good example for your daughter, too.

Originally Posted by Benedict14
Do you even lift Lex ?
Yes sir. I work out 5 days per week. Not 4. Not 6. Exactly 5. At least 3 of those days are weight training. The others are mainly aerobic training only. In the last +30 years, I've only missed that matrix once, for about 7 days because I had shingles. Don't get shingles. Get vaccinated. Most people think I am 10-15 years younger than my actual age.

Quick Reply: Why are people Ass*oles ?