Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirror stopped dipping in reverse, dealer says $15K

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 04:16 AM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

OP and Joec500, out of curiosity, you don't have the park assist feature? that should also trigger on by putting the car in reverse.. at least it does here
Old 06-27-2018, 09:02 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

_BK, no "R" here in the shift window. I checked this morning.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:34 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 8enny8lack

its so you can see your wheel before it hits the curb. Duh.
I'ts for people that do not know how to park. .
Old 06-27-2018, 10:34 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
_BK, no "R" here in the shift window. I checked this morning.
Do your reverse lights still work?
Old 06-27-2018, 01:49 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts
Default what happened

??
Old 06-27-2018, 02:14 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by amet
OP and Joec500, out of curiosity, you don't have the park assist feature? that should also trigger on by putting the car in reverse.. at least it does here
I have Park Distance Control, and it still activates, so that is functioning as it should. But neither my reverse lights nor my passenger side mirror parking adjustment function.

It looks like those systems are on different circuits.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:16 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelo
I'ts for people that do not know how to park. .
I like it, I found it quite useful on my Range Rover.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:41 PM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I would watch closely what happens with Joec500. It would be great if he took his car into the same dealer you got this solution from. The price of a replacement pdk was discussed in this thread. They are doing rebuilt units now and the cost was 16k for my 991 cpo. I checked the carfax on that 991 I traded and there is nothing about a tranny issue.
​​​​​​​
Old 06-27-2018, 02:49 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by worf928

Do your reverse lights still work?
Yes, sir. Everything works great on my car.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:12 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboCarrera
I would watch closely what happens with Joec500. It would be great if he took his car into the same dealer you got this solution from. The price of a replacement pdk was discussed in this thread. They are doing rebuilt units now and the cost was 16k for my 991 cpo. I checked the carfax on that 991 I traded and there is nothing about a tranny issue.

I live across the country in CA I will let you know as soon as I bring my car in the first week of July.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:29 PM
_BK
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Update - I have not heard back from ASG and I'm concerned it's because my e-mail made me look like a crazy person. I was a little rambling for a simple Internet appointment request form. I will call them to set something up instead. I'm hoping I can order the part with them and take the car in once the part arrives, presumably next week sometime. In the meantime, I can live without reverse lights or my mirror dipping down. I don't drive in reverse much, anyway.

LexVan - thanks for confirming no "R" in the display! In my car, whether in 1st gear or reverse, nothing is in that window until the clutch is fully released, which you don't typically do when backing up. I did it very deliberately yesterday, just to see what the car does, and it puts a "1" in the window, same as driving off in 1st gear. I suspect that's normal.

A few other things:
  • "Hill hold" works. Sometimes it seems like it should turn on and it doesn't, but it has always been that way. I think it's normal.
  • My park distance control works. I have rear-only, so nothing in the display just the audible alert but it still works fine.
  • I got an email today from the Customer Service Manager at the dealer, saying "I wanted to make sure the repairs on your Porsche were done to your satisfaction" and reminding me of the importance of filling out the PNA survey and giving the dealer all 10s. I am tempted to write back and express my dissatisfaction and see if they'll re-look at the issue, but I also would prefer to be armed with a second opinion (from ASG), so I'm going to hold off responding at all.
EDIT - my appt with ASG is on the 6th. Stay tuned.

Last edited by _BK; 06-27-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:07 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

You said this has been happening for a couple months so likely you have also not had reverse lights all that time either. Don't get over concerned about it now. That is more a inconvenience than a major safety defect.
Old 06-27-2018, 04:30 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by _BK
Update - I have not heard back from ASG and I'm concerned it's because my e-mail made me look like a crazy person. I was a little rambling for a simple Internet appointment request form. I will call them to set something up instead. I'm hoping I can order the part with them and take the car in once the part arrives, presumably next week sometime. In the meantime, I can live without reverse lights or my mirror dipping down. I don't drive in reverse much, anyway.
They are SUPER busy right now. I have my old 911 over there for a fuel leak and they are backed up for weeks, so just know that it's not you, it's them . Jeff, Ray, and Ed are super guys and I have used them for, oh, 15 years now. But right now they are really swamped.

You may want to also try Intersport or Autobahn in the Northern VA area.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:36 PM
_BK
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

A soul-crushing update. The honest guys from ASG looked at it and they are as perplexed as I am. They agreed with the dealer (ugh) that it is not the reverse light switch, which seems to be working. Rather, something seems not to be pushing against the plunger-type reverse switch. ASG could not see anything inside the transmission, like if a pin or something “broke off,” but admittedly it is very hard to see inside even with the tiny camera they have to check cylinders and such. It does not seem that anything broke inside there, though. Nothing feels or sounds wrong or different about the transmission from back when the switch worked. Note that even the dealer said the transmission appeared undamaged, it just seemed to be “missing something” that should be pushing the reverse switch. Put the car in reverse and nothing pushes the switch.

Yet neither ASG nor the dealer knows what it is. ASG said Porsche provides no breakdown schematics of the transmission and does not offer parts for it, only the whole unit. This is presumably what led to the dealer saying the only solution is an entirely new transmission.

So now I am at a loss. The car is relatively recently out of new car warranty, so I would have to foot the bill myself. It drives the same as ever, I just do not have a functioning reverse light switch, so I’m tempted to ignore it... but I really can’t. I could live without the mirror tilting, but I need reverse lights. I will get this fixed, but swapping transmissions seems like massive overkill, using a sledgehammer to kill a fly.

I went ahead and did the Porsche customer satisfaction survey, giving the dealer middling marks. The dealer (yes, it was Porsche Tysons) was adequate, but I feel like they kind of blew this off. An issue like this is objectively stupid, and it deserved more consideration and thoughtfulness than they gave it. Essentially, they just mentioned it to me when my oil change was done and had me decline the repair, as I’m sure they expected. Why not pull in a regional service rep, or a Porsche NA person when they come across something so outrageous? Why not do more to find the part to fix it, rather than tell me “the solution is to replace the entire transmission”? Why not see if this is an issue that has been addressed somewhere else?

On the customer satisfaction survey, I gave the brand itself very low marks, with an explanation that it makes no sense that a presumably tiny part should fail, and that when it does, the fix is completely out of proportion to the problem. I asked for someone from Porsche NA to contact me to figure out a more reasonable solution to fix it. Hopefully I will hear something. In the meantime, the guys at ASG are going to reach out to their transmission guys to see if they’ve ever heard of anything like this.

This is not the happy update I wanted, but I had to pass it along. The good news is that the car remains amazing to drive. I am super bummed about no reverse lights, so I will get it fixed, one way or another, and will update once I do.

TL, DR: Dealer was right, my problem is weird, I'm sad but will get it fixed regardless.
The following users liked this post:
C4SJOHN (10-07-2019)
Old 07-06-2018, 03:50 PM
LexVan
Banned

_BK, thanks for the update. At this point, work with your service advisor, and see if he can present to PCNA to "good-will" the repair or share in the costs. Might need to call PCNA yourself, too. Are you the first owner. Have you ever owned Porsches before? These answers matter. There's no right or wrong answer. Depends how you frame them to PCNA. Be reasonable, articulate, persistant, and negotiate. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Mirror stopped dipping in reverse, dealer says $15K