Sponsored by:

Mirror stopped dipping in reverse, dealer says $15K

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 12:49 AM
_BK
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Angry Mirror stopped dipping in reverse, dealer says $15K

I drive a 2013 C4 7MT. I noticed a few months ago that the passenger side mirror stopped dipping when I put the car in reverse. It used to work. Option was still checked on the MFD. After reading some threads online, I figured it wasn't a big deal and I'd get it looked at next oil change. That was today -- I went to the dealer instead of an independent because I thought it might be software-related and figured the dealer could take care of it easiest.

Around midday, I got a call from the dealer and they said if I wanted the mirror to work again, they'd need to replace the transmission(?!), which would cost $15,600. I LOLed, but they said the issue was in the transmission itself. Does this sound crazy to anyone else? They said the transmission was actually fine, just this one flaw.

Of course I'll take it somewhere for a second opinion. I figured it had to just be a faulty switch or software and that the dealer must be nuts. Here is what they wrote in my service order: "CUSTOMER STATES THE PASSENGERS SIDE MIRROR DOES NOT GO DOWN WHEN IN REVERSE internal issue with manual gearbox; actuator inside transmission that pushes on reverse position switch missing and not actuation (sic) as needed no repair performed; checked operation of reverse light circuit by removal and manual actuation of reverse position switch."

When I read that write up, I checked to see if the reverse lights come on, and they don't. I didn't realize that before. Now I'm frustrated. It's one thing to live without the mirror moving, but I can't live without functioning reverse lights. I'm surprised they didn't mention that over the phone. Still, no way this is a legit $15K issue, is it? It's not like I broke the MT. I am a very experienced MT driver, been driving manuals forever, and nobody else drives the 911. There was never any trauma to it. It drives fine now and has always driven the same. It doesn't make sense that all of a sudden, something would be "missing." Come to think of it, I'm certain the selected gear shows in the dash, so if there's a position sensor, it must be working. The dealer's write up doesn't sound like they're talking about a sensor though, they make it sound like some physical thing in there not pushing a button. And of course, the only solution is an entirely new gearbox. That just sounds wrong.

I'm writing both to vent and to see if anyone else has any similar experience or thoughts and suggestions. I'll eventually take it to an independent for a second opinion because the dealer's determination sounds too far fetched.

TL, DR: it seems like a "reverse position switch," if such a thing exists, stopped working in my car. The car drives fine, but no longer dips the mirror or turns on the reverse lights when in reverse. The dealer says only fix is a $15K gearbox replacement, which sounds insane.

Popular Reply

01-08-2021, 04:35 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

An update on this saga. Thanks to Colvin84 for his expertise in petitioning the NHTSA. The result is that the NHTSA contacted the TSB here in Canada with my details, Porsche Canada reached out, and after some back and forth between Porsche Canada and my local dealer, Porsche Canada is stepping up and covering 100% of the cost of a replacement transmission.

I'm out the cost of this workaround repair, but I'm still glad I did this so that in the future those who are denied a replacement transmission (or, if mine fails again!), that we at least know there is an affordable solution in such a situation.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:53 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

You have to be kidding!! Yeah dealer, put it on my credit card no problem. $15K !!???

Name:  photo944.jpg
Views: 5572
Size:  101.3 KB

Yeah, sounds CRAZY ..
Old 06-26-2018, 12:57 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I know Porsche won’t touch a PDK, but I did not realize there were no repairs on MTs either. Seems odd and I bet the dealer is wrong and the switch can be replaced.

Most (all I am aware of) MTs have a plunger type switch which turns on the reverse lights. I would find it, take it off, clean it, test it, and replace it (with something else if I had to), but without seeing it there is no way to know exactly what/where it is. I suppose it is possible there is an internal fault in the gearbox, but I can’t see how unless the part broke off and then it would be in the case of the transmission.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:15 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

I'm not sure if $15k would cover even the cost of a new PDK without the labor.
That aside, if it realy is going to cost that much to fix, id just jumper that switch on the transmission with a manual switch under the dash that I could easily reach.
But it sounds like BS to me...
Old 06-26-2018, 01:25 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hopefully there is a legitimate cheap fix and this is not a case of a dealer preying on a naive customer.

If this is true, trade the car in somewhere and say nothing.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:28 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,739 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Might be cheaper just to trade it in for a similE 2013 C4 7MT
Old 06-26-2018, 01:30 AM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

Seems that there is a backup switch that can be replaced... I would be surprised if that was built in.

Dealer seems shady, unless you broke the actuator inside the gearbox that activates the switch, $36 is all it costs... plus $$$ for labor.

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...ch-99161318901
The following users liked this post:
PatrickBateman (07-11-2021)
Old 06-26-2018, 01:34 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

That’s pure insanity. A second opinion is in order stat!
Old 06-26-2018, 01:49 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 922 Likes on 549 Posts

I might have this same problem, I have a manual and my reverse mirror stopped activating I need to check to see if my reverse lights stopped working too, luckily I have CPO until 2019. I also have a 2013 C2S 7MT. That's crazy they can't repair this.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:00 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Why not just disable it? I could never figure out why there’s a “feature” that points the mirrors down instead of where you’re going when you put it in reverse.
AKKutz (07-30-2021)
Old 06-26-2018, 02:12 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

yup confirmed, I have the same problem, I thought it was just a software problem too, but in fact my reverse lights do not come on, I really need to take this in to get looked at, because that's just super dangerous.

Thankfully I still have my CPO for one more year, I assume this will be covered.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:16 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Hey guys, found this on another forum on the 996 forum. $20 says it's the same thing on our Transmission. Hopefully the labor is as easy.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ht-switch.html
Old 06-26-2018, 04:05 AM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Same thing happened to me and was about to take it in for a warranty repair, and then discovered that I had accidentally touched the memory button when the car was in reverse and before the mirror had a chance to tilt down. So every time I started and put it in reverse it remembered to keep the mirror in the Up position. Sounds weird but go figure.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:31 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Just throwing it out there just in case, but the right side mirror has to be "on" in order for the mirror tilt to work. Sometimes people adjust their driver side mirror and forget to repress the passenger side mirror. If such is the case, easy fix!

Agree with everyone else - get second opinion. What a ripoff!
Old 06-26-2018, 06:13 AM
LuftKopf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Hey guys, found this on another forum on the 996 forum. $20 says it's the same thing on our Transmission. Hopefully the labor is as easy.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ht-switch.html

this is gonna be good.

Quick Reply: Mirror stopped dipping in reverse, dealer says $15K