Sponsored by:

Mirror stopped dipping in reverse, dealer says $15K

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 01:30 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by _BK
Thanks for all the replies! I was frustrated when I wrote this out last night. Keeping fingers crossed it is just a switch. I’ve had other relay switches fail since I’ve had the car (sport exhaust and cabin heat relay switches), but that was under warranty. It seems so much more likely it's a switch again.

If anyone is in Northern VA and has an independent Porsche guy they like or recommend, let me know. Otherwise, I will hit up ASG in Falls Church (http://autosportsystems.net/) to look at it. They seem good. In the meantime, I will just be more careful backing up. I drove my 911 to work today and it’s beautiful as ever to drive, it just does not have a mirror that dips down (no big deal to me) or functioning reverse lights (admittedly, kind of a big deal). I will keep you guys posted.

A quick question for those with MT -- you know the little window in the dash that says what gear you are in? What does it say for you when in reverse? Mine has a “1” in the window when I put it in reverse and fully let out the clutch. I’m surprised it isn’t an “R,” but I never noticed before because usually when I back up, I’m never actually in gear long enough to notice anything in the window. Just wondering what others see.

EDIT - not sure I should say who the dealer is, because they have been nice to me in the past. But it's a large dealer here in Northern Virginia. I'm going to hold off on my survey response (and "outing" them) until I know if they really were asking $15K for a <$100 issue.
Ugh, why do I have a feeling that it is my dealer, the one with a new service manager after their old one recently retired after many years...

I have been using them for more than four years for service with good results but I do have a PCA friend that won't step foot in their showroom until Hell freezes over.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:40 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Subscribed for the outcome. After reading this thread I'm trying to remember if the mirror dips on my car (also 7MT), and I don't recall it ever doing that! Will double check when I get home. If it doesn't, I'll buy a switch and install it myself.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:14 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

If I remember correctly on the 981, mirror dip was only included with power seats with memory.
The following users liked this post:
Viper pilot (01-12-2021)
Old 06-26-2018, 02:16 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Code
Subscribed for the outcome. After reading this thread I'm trying to remember if the mirror dips on my car (also 7MT), and I don't recall it ever doing that! Will double check when I get home. If it doesn't, I'll buy a switch and install it myself.
Also check if your reverse lights activate, I think if its just the mirror and the reverse lights come on it could be a programming thing. But if both the mirror does not dip AND the reverses lights don't activate it could be the reverse switch. ALSO my hill hold stop functioning, I wonder if this is all related?

I booked time to bring my car in. Unfortunately it's not for 2 weeks.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:50 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Also check if your reverse lights activate, I think if its just the mirror and the reverse lights come on it could be a programming thing. But if both the mirror does not dip AND the reverses lights don't activate it could be the reverse switch. ALSO my hill hold stop functioning, I wonder if this is all related?

I booked time to bring my car in. Unfortunately it's not for 2 weeks.
Good call, I'll check the lights as well. Odd that Hill Hold is not functioning, my guess is it's all related. I know for a fact that hill hold IS working in my car.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:29 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

I think it is highly unlikely that replacing a simple switch would require the entire transmission to be replaced. I know engineers have made design errors before but this one just doesn't make sense to me.

Originally Posted by Code
Originally Posted by ClassJ
If I remember correctly on the 981, mirror dip was only included with power seats with memory.
Same with 991.1/.2
Old 06-26-2018, 03:33 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
I think it is highly unlikely that replacing a simple switch would require the entire transmission to be replaced. I know engineers have made design errors before but this one just doesn't make sense to me.

Same with 991.1/.2
Especially with a part that is a common failure among all manual transmissions.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:55 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Talked with a Porsche Gold Tech. He was cracking up at the point of a new transmission. There aren't even any internal switches in the tranny!

He said most likely a software or coding issue. There is one switch maybe by the clutch? Was having a hard time following as I'm not a huge tech guy. For the mirror turning downward, make sure the setting is correct for that. There should be a setting in the PCM for that.

Overall, this dealer is full of SH*T!
The following users liked this post:
911Raider (06-10-2022)
Old 06-26-2018, 04:06 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
Talked with a Porsche Gold Tech. He was cracking up at the point of a new transmission. There aren't even any internal switches in the tranny!

He said most likely a software or coding issue. There is one switch maybe by the clutch? Was having a hard time following as I'm not a huge tech guy. For the mirror turning downward, make sure the setting is correct for that. There should be a setting in the PCM for that.

That's what I figured too! I also just had my clutch replaced by my dealer, there is a possibility they didn't secure the plug on the Reverse Switch on the transmission properly. Once I bring it in for service I will update my findings here.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:54 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

Time for OP to name the dealer in 3 . . 2 . . . 1 . . .
Old 06-26-2018, 05:37 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Just putting this here for reference, as you can see, there is in fact a backup switch towards the front of the transmission Part #3!! I added a pic of an actual 991 Manual. This is the 6 speed from a 911R, but I assume the enclosure is pretty similar if not identical

Last edited by Joec500; 06-26-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:40 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Why not just disable it? I could never figure out why there’s a “feature” that points the mirrors down instead of where you’re going when you put it in reverse.
its so you can see your wheel before it hits the curb. Duh.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:09 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Just going to put it out there - but if the cause *is* a problem with a switch on the internals of the transmission, and the effect is no reversing lights -- then this is a situation where you open a case with the NHTSA here: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/, and then let your dealer and PCNA know you have done so. Need for a recall campaign would almost certainly be investigated as this is a safety issue with a late-model vehicle.

In most (all?) states, you can't pass vehicle inspection without reversing lights.

All that said...this is almost 100% a failed microswitch on the transmission housing. They should be replacing it for no charge (again, because its a safety issue with the reversing lights not coming on, and the driver not being aware of that fact).

cheers!
The following 2 users liked this post by 911-TOUR:
maschinetheist (10-13-2021), PatrickBateman (07-11-2021)
Old 06-27-2018, 12:29 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Old 06-27-2018, 12:34 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Great points 911-TOUR

Quick Reply: Mirror stopped dipping in reverse, dealer says $15K