Sponsored by:

Mirror stopped dipping in reverse, dealer says $15K

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 06:55 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
Hey guys, found this on another forum on the 996 forum. $20 says it's the same thing on our Transmission. Hopefully the labor is as easy.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ht-switch.html
Wow, if that is the fix then I would let PCNA know what the dealer wanted to do.

Reminds me of a YouTube video I saw where a Benz dealer wanted $$$ to replace a sunroof that wasn't working...owner discovered that there was a rock that was jamming it. Removed rock, sunroof worked fine.
The following users liked this post:
PatrickBateman (07-11-2021)
Old 06-26-2018, 08:03 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

In the PET, the backup light sensor is listed as 991 613 189 01. It just threads into the side of the transmission case. $48 MSRP

i guess it is plausible that the mechanical lever inside the trans is not the pressing on be switch.

My money says the switch is just bad.

The following 2 users liked this post by ClassJ:
bms0918 (03-02-2021), PatrickBateman (07-11-2021)
Old 06-26-2018, 09:12 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Joec500
yup confirmed, I have the same problem, I thought it was just a software problem too, but in fact my reverse lights do not come on, I really need to take this in to get looked at, because that's just super dangerous.

Thankfully I still have my CPO for one more year, I assume this will be covered.
Is your car a manual too? Any PDK’s having that issue?

that's laughable if it needs a new transmission for such a simple issue. Massive oversight by Porsche.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:25 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Why not just disable it? I could never figure out why there’s a “feature” that points the mirrors down instead of where you’re going when you put it in reverse.
It's useful when parallel parking. You can see exactly how far from the curb you are and avoid hitting it. Note that it only does this when the little toggle switch it pointed toward the passenger side. Normally you leave it disabled because when backing up, you obviously want to see behind you. When parallel parking though, you hit the switch and this is very useful.

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Just throwing it out there just in case, but the right side mirror has to be "on" in order for the mirror tilt to work. Sometimes people adjust their driver side mirror and forget to repress the passenger side mirror. If such is the case, easy fix!

Agree with everyone else - get second opinion. What a ripoff!
Worth noting. The reverse lights should work regardless of the position of the mirror switch.

Anyhow... if this really is some internal problem in the transmission then I'm betting that adding a momentary switch to the shifter itself would do the trick. As noted on the report, when they manually short the wires it works as expected.
Trapperj (02-05-2021)
Old 06-26-2018, 10:20 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

I would throw a switch in first.

Even if plausibly the arm inside the transmission broke and is loose in the trans.

Someone on this planet can take apart the trans and replace that lever for less than 15k.

To scrap a trans for that reason is absurd. Problem is that the factory does not give dealers many options.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:34 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Who is the offending dealer here??

Please update us. Something tells me the reality of the fix will be inexpensive when they were trying to gouge for $15K

I just think that many of these Porsche dealer technicians and service advisors are just so unqualified and clueless. I'm surprised they didn't say go and buy a new car.

Last edited by STG; 06-26-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Wittlebit (09-07-2021)
Old 06-26-2018, 10:43 AM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm reminded of that mouse that chewed through the air hose on the front-end lift system of a GT3 causing a $10k+ repair that could have been a $20 repair if they'd sell the part for it.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:20 AM
_BK
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for all the replies! I was frustrated when I wrote this out last night. Keeping fingers crossed it is just a switch. I’ve had other relay switches fail since I’ve had the car (sport exhaust and cabin heat relay switches), but that was under warranty. It seems so much more likely it's a switch again.

If anyone is in Northern VA and has an independent Porsche guy they like or recommend, let me know. Otherwise, I will hit up ASG in Falls Church (http://autosportsystems.net/) to look at it. They seem good. In the meantime, I will just be more careful backing up. I drove my 911 to work today and it’s beautiful as ever to drive, it just does not have a mirror that dips down (no big deal to me) or functioning reverse lights (admittedly, kind of a big deal). I will keep you guys posted.

A quick question for those with MT -- you know the little window in the dash that says what gear you are in? What does it say for you when in reverse? Mine has a “1” in the window when I put it in reverse and fully let out the clutch. I’m surprised it isn’t an “R,” but I never noticed before because usually when I back up, I’m never actually in gear long enough to notice anything in the window. Just wondering what others see.

EDIT - not sure I should say who the dealer is, because they have been nice to me in the past. But it's a large dealer here in Northern Virginia. I'm going to hold off on my survey response (and "outing" them) until I know if they really were asking $15K for a <$100 issue.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:23 AM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Did you try calling another dealer to get their opinion, I’d bet a 5 minute phone call would get you the answer to this. $15k to fix this is insane,
Old 06-26-2018, 11:23 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by _BK
A quick question for those with MT -- you know the little window in the dash that says what gear you are in? What does it say for you when in reverse? Mine has a “1” in the window when I put it in reverse and fully let out the clutch. I’m surprised it isn’t an “R,” but I never noticed before because usually when I back up, I’m never actually in gear long enough to notice anything in the window. Just wondering what others see.
I've never noticed an "R". But I'm not usually looking there when backing up. I'll try to check tomorrow.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:23 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I've never noticed an "R". But I'm not usually looking there when backing up. I'll try to check tomorrow.
Yeah, I'm usually looking in the tilted mirror (sorry!) when reversing so can't be sure what it says until I get home tonight unless Lex beats me to it.....
PatrickBateman (07-11-2021)
Old 06-26-2018, 12:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

BK, please keep us updated. Yeah, I'd hold off on dealer name I suppose for now.

I might be talking to a P tech today. If I do, I'll run it by him for his take on it.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:51 PM
_BK
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks again, guys. Below is the (redacted) note I just sent to ASG. I'll keep you posted:
I have a 2013 911 C4 with manual transmission and a couple of months ago, I noticed my passenger side mirror no longer dips down when in reverse (that is a feature you can toggle on my car). I found out recently that my reverse lights also are not turning on when I am in reverse. There is a switch in the MT that switches when in reverse, which I suspect needs to be replaced. I think the part number may be 991 613 189 01, based on some help I got on the Internet (see below).

If you have time, take a look at this thread on Rennlist with more background. Porsche ****** told me yesterday they could fix it by replacing the entire transmission, which is obviously crazy: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1077...-says-15k.html

Can I make an appointment to bring the car in and have your team look at it? I need to speak with someone sane, and Porsche ****** are not. I would be happy to pay for you to order the part and I can come in and we can see if that is all it needed. Or maybe I should just come in and have you take a look first?

I also will need new brakes and rotors soon enough, so I wanted to talk to you about that, too. Thanks!
Old 06-26-2018, 12:53 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Is your car a manual too? Any PDK’s having that issue?

that's laughable if it needs a new transmission for such a simple issue. Massive oversight by Porsche.
Yup I have a manual 7MT
Old 06-26-2018, 01:17 PM
Norsk
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 81 Posts

I once had a Dodge van with a MT that had the back up light switch in the transmission die, so I bypassed it and ran a wire up to the dash where I put a small switch. Minor inconvenience to turn it on, but I only used it when really needed. I also used it a few times to deter people from creeping up behind me at a red light. Stopped them dead. Perhaps your indie could install something similar for a reasonable price.

Quick Reply: Mirror stopped dipping in reverse, dealer says $15K