Sponsored by:

Broken Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 09:35 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,390 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
I would tell your insurance company that you were driving and a rock cracked it. They only cover when debris hit you. If you say 'the windshield cracked one morning,' there will be a question of whether they cover that.

In reality, what happens is a small chip can cause a crack after temperature fluctuation. The worst case scenario is your car sits on a steaming hot parking lot then a thunderstorm comes out of nowhere and dumps a bunch of cold rain on it. A small chip might turn into a crack.

Best advice I can give others is to get small chips repaired. Its free, less of a hassle, and if you don't like it, you can always get a replacement as a last resort. Small chips/ imperfections hide in dirt so they don't bother me. My VW golf had its windshield replaced 4 times for big chips... the last time I gave up on it and we just drove it with a big chip that turned into a crack one winter. The crack grew over the the years, but never got the edge...made me stop caring about other chips. If the chip would have been repaired, it wouldn't have cracked.
In our area, it's the water, and then the freezing that can really cause a problem in the winter months.

I agree. Good advice. Get them fixed before they turn into a crack. I was also told by the mobil repair guy, when a chip is found, cover it with tape, until the repair can be made. Makes the repair better (cleaner & dryer) and can help keep the chip from turning into a crack (the whole water issue again).
Old 06-23-2018, 10:44 AM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
I was going to mock my own currency but that wouldn't be very Canadian of me
But it does smell like Maple syrup.

Quick Reply: Broken Windshield