Sponsored by:

Best dealer for service in NC

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 08:32 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
I've had service done at Leith in Cary. To the comment "don't they care that it's a 150K car?" No. It's just another car, let me get this done ASAP since I'm working book rates and I'm only getting paid for an hour even though I've already got 90 minutes in it...

That said, overall, I've been satisfied with their service, both the Porsche and BMW shop. Audi, eh, not so much.

With my own personal experience screaming, venting, ranting and raving at SAs over the years at various dealerships, honestly, now, I'm amazed that they are as civil and as patient as they are, considering all of the crap that they must go through every day. I could never do it.
Who are you talking about here? The guy working on the car?
Old 07-05-2018, 08:03 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:13 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

They are on salary.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:20 AM
osbjmg
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

What was the problem with the strut anyway? I used to drive an 06 Subaru, and they we're notorious for strut clunk. Essentially the geometry was just right for a bit of lateral play that when the strut wasn't freshly greases, would make a loud clunk when unloading one side. Only happened when going up a driveway or speed bump diagonally.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:10 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I used Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro. I was not pleased with the service. They were unable to locate whatever was draining my battery in three days or less tho they kept the car for over a week. The guys in Fayetteville...now Wilmington.... were finally able to track the problem to the wiring harness. I have continued to use the folks in Wilmington and have been happy. I hear that Hendrick in Charlotte is good, but the trip to the beach for me is more attractive.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:18 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Regarding the original problem...There are rubber-like polyurethane blocks used as washers as part of the strut assembly. I suppose its kinda like a strut mount, but not really. They lock together in a turn, but mine were not from the factory, which results in a squeaking noise when loading the suspension (very obvious when making a hard turn). There is a thread here where others reported similar defect from factory in 2017 year. Seems like water pump failing is also a common thing for 2017s. Porsche re-tuned the suspension for 991.2 and perhaps there was a glitch in the assembly factory for earlier models? Not sure, but its fixed now and the horrible chirping/squeaking noise is gone. My early build boxster had the 'squeaky fuel tank' due to missing foam... kinda reminds of this.

I got the dent and door handle scratch fixed by a small shop my detailer recommended. The door handle was touched up with clear to more or less hide the scratch...not perfect, but not much else you can do aside from disassembling the whole door to remove the handle then re-spray it, which is something I definitely wouldn't want to do for this minor thing (I'd rather live with the scratch than get all the baggage that comes with taking the door apart). The dent was fixed via paintless dent removal by tapping it down then lifting with glue..more or less 100% gone. There were 2 dents actually, which makes me think someone put both hands own the fender and attempted to shake the car to troubleshoot, or that's my best guess. Apparently the dent was bigger than appeared to be after getting a UV light on it...big donut lifted on sides and I was told it looked was if someone had attempted to correct it quickly/poorly (not sure if I believe that though). The full service body shop is great... LLoyd does it all: http://www.autopaintinaday.com. Cost was ~$300 and I'm waiting for the dealer to send me the check, which they agreed to do.

Mike addressed some of my other concerns via explanation. I never got any details while the work was done...I had requested calls before disassembly etc, but for some reason they never happened. It seems like they did do their best in trying to get it fixed with as little impact as possible, but the facts were not communicated to me so my expectations and perception was different. I don't think the end result of the dents/scratches is enough for me to say I'll never go back there or that they're horrible. Fact is stuff like this does happen and as long as its addressed, its I'm okay with it. Getting the original problem fixed involves disassembling the whole rear side interior and plenty of work on the suspension...all things considering, end result isn't bad...could be worse. If anything, I should be mad at Porsche for the defect...the dealer is having to fix their mess.

I still have 1 more concern unresolved. The dealer would need to disassemble the interior again to check why the panel is loose. I'm hesitant to get this done, but I suppose its the only option. Now that they know my expectations, perhaps they will be more careful. This whole ordeal might end up as positive from a 'building a relationship' standpoint.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:20 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Update:

Dealer assembled interior correctly, but I've been plagued with some intermittent creaking. I kinda of narrowed it down to a few pieces that I adjusted its 'okay' at this point. Some noise, but whatever not expecting perfection here.

Dent and door handle scratches got fixed and dealer covered. Handle got touch up clear coat and hid it mostly. Dent got 90% fixed with paintless dent removal.

Some time later dealer had to do some more warranty work. Guess what... they scratched door handle again and left a minor dent in fender! This time it was even more scratches. What battles me is the same exact thing (scratch and dent) happens even when manager knew about it! I have since sent an email and got no response.

I decided to give Southpoint Porsche a shot since oil change and inspection was due. The SAs and service manager had changed about a year ago. My experience was great and I have no complaints. Its a nice facility and everyone was friendly. I had a nice conversation with gold tech as he did oil change that addressed a lot of my concerns with maintenance. He was very methodical and careful in his work. Didn't have any concerns about damage or poor quality work. I noticed that they have a carerra GT in a stall they're working on... being that's nearly a 1 mil dollar car is worked there is saying something. He also put grease in seat latches to fix a creaking/rattling sound that's been on-going forever (that Leith replaced trim piece in attempts to fix, which didn't help). I will continue to take the car there.

Quick Reply: Best dealer for service in NC