Sponsored by:

Damn Black GTS wheels ( Dirty )

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 09:39 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gellie
Man I was jonesing for the 20 spyders when getting my 17 Cab. Thankfully wife talked me out of them. Knowing how **** I am, would have taken me most of Saturday to clean them. Beautiful wheels!
I live a half mile down a dirt road, usually well maintained, but its hopeless with wheel dust. I usually rinse the car and blow dry after every drive, but the wheels I just let accumulate a nice patina of dust and clean when the calipers start getting too grungy. Good thing is the flat black GTS wheels actually look OK dusty when the rest of the car (white) is clean. I found I can live with the dust better than rusty rotors
Old 06-25-2018, 11:46 AM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleDare
Agreed. I'm getting very good results lately with just steps 2 and 4. 1 - 4 should be even better.

I'm going to try the Dr. Beasley matte paint coating next, which should last longer than the sealant. Will do wheel barrels first to test. Waiting on delivery of 4 Jackpoint jackstands so I can do all 4 wheels at once.
ok so here are the results. i'm very happy with them, but the real test is going to be how long they last. some details:

1) the foam canon on the inside really helps agitate and loosen up the dirt if you leave it on for say 15 minutes per wheel. i used this one
https://www.detailersdomain.com/prod...r-car-foam-gun
2) the spray bottle could use a better dispenser for the cleaner. felt cheap and not precise. spray goes on easily, easy to scrub, no strong odor
3) the rubbing alcohol really felt to me like the game changer. as soon as i was done w the foam and the cleaner, the rubbing alcohol really stripped any left over brown look
4) my wheels have some chips on them, they are white in color. a sharpie is your friend
5) the dr beasly seal goes on VERY white. i sprayed the towel and the wheel and took some time to rub in. this job is a once a season thing, regardless of how long the wheels look good. took 3 hours for basically wheels only
6) tools of the trade pics attached

Old 06-26-2018, 12:30 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Wheels look great. As I suggested in my earlier post, get some Hyde’s Serum and after you do your final rinse, spray it on the rotors. It prevents the rust, so therefore it stops the rust covering the wheels the first time you brake. I learned about it just this year and my results have been great. Give it a try.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:45 AM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Nicely done! They look spotless and satin again.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:12 PM
Highyo
Pro

It certainly was a labor of love. b wiele thanks for the tip going to order that now, hopefully for next time will be able to just spray any debris off. the coating is really to me the mystery.

and the IPA is the killer. such a simple solution! love that
Old 06-26-2018, 06:49 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Highyo
It certainly was a labor of love. b wiele thanks for the tip going to order that now, hopefully for next time will be able to just spray any debris off. the coating is really to me the mystery.

and the IPA is the killer. such a simple solution! love that
I think you're going to find that that's the difference between the wheel sealant and the wheel coating.

My experience with the Dr. B's sealant is that it catches the debris, and then you can wash the sealant off along with the debris fairly easily. I've had to wash though (either matte soap or Dr. B's wheel cleaner), not just spray. Granted, I'm still waiting for my power washer, so using just a hose for now.

The promise of Dr. B's matte coating (as opposed to sealant) is that it will remain on the wheels after you wash them, and you may be able to just spray the debris off. . . .
Old 06-27-2018, 03:34 AM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikex25

I know the pain! Silver is even worse than black, which is why I went with a matte gunmetal. They seem to never look dirty.

Are those BBS FI-R wheels? I got some RE-MTSP wheels for my 997 GTS.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:04 PM
Highyo
Pro

Originally Posted by DoubleDare
I think you're going to find that that's the difference between the wheel sealant and the wheel coating.

My experience with the Dr. B's sealant is that it catches the debris, and then you can wash the sealant off along with the debris fairly easily. I've had to wash though (either matte soap or Dr. B's wheel cleaner), not just spray. Granted, I'm still waiting for my power washer, so using just a hose for now.

The promise of Dr. B's matte coating (as opposed to sealant) is that it will remain on the wheels after you wash them, and you may be able to just spray the debris off. . . .
what i have noticed after the most thorough cleaning these wheels have ever had is that they are still pitted and are damaged enough for me to not really do much more than what i have done. the next set of wheels will be coated from day 1. it really does happen that they get beat up folks, and my car has never seen the track and is very well taken care of
Old 06-27-2018, 01:31 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey Double Dare - are you suggesting put Dr B's Matte **Paint** coating on the wheels? I didn't see a Matte Wheel Coating on their site...
Old 06-27-2018, 11:02 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bwiele
Hey Double Dare - are you suggesting put Dr B's Matte **Paint** coating on the wheels? I didn't see a Matte Wheel Coating on their site...
Yes, exactly. They have a gloss wheel coating and a matte paint coating, but no matte wheel coating.

So, they recommend the matte paint coating for matte wheels. https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2017...paint-coating/
Old 06-28-2018, 10:25 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Just finished coating my wheels and that will help keeping it clean. Ceramic coating is the easy part. Taking off the wheels are the hardest and took a lot of force even when using a long breaker bar. I checked the torque to unmount the wheels and some are more than 600 ft-lbs and it exceeded my torque wrench maximum torque allowable value. My car is not even a month old so you can imagine if it's been in the car longer than that.
Old 07-01-2018, 02:21 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

I took my rear wheels off and coated them with Dr. Beasley Matte Paint Coating yesterday. So far so good. It doesn't hide imperfections in the finish quite as well as their Matte Wheel Sealant, but it still looks really good.

Taking the wheels off allows treating the barrels as well, so that's a major improvement. Will report back after some miles and a wash or two.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:44 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

I promised an update on the Dr. Beasley Matte Paint Coating.

I've coated both front and rear wheels now (GTS black satin). They all looked terrific immediately after coating. The coating still doesn't hide imperfections quite as well as the Dr. Beasley Matte Wheel Sealant, but from a few feet away the wheels look great.

I'd hoped the coating would permit wheel cleaning with just a foam cannon and pressure washer, using matte paint shampoo for the foam.

In short, it does and it doesn't. Even after foam cannon and pressure washer, the wheels have residual brake dust on them. However, they still look quite good because the residue blends in with the black satin finish.

I'll end up using brushes along with the pressure washer as part of each wash, because I want them really clean. Undecided whether to use Chemical Guys Matte Paint Shampoo or Dr. Beasley's Matte Wheel Cleaner for the washes.

Overall, my impression at this point is that the coating performs only slightly less well than the sealant, but is vastly more convenient. That's because you don't have to reapply the coating after each wash as you do the sealant. Per the website, the coating should last 3 to 6 months on the wheels.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:00 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Reviving old thread with an update.

So washed my wheels after about 1500 miles. Wheels were dirty, but definitely not as dirty as in the past putting on the same amount of miles. As a reminder, I sprayed Amorall on the driver side wheels and Dr Beasley on the passenger side wheels. Both did a decent job of keeping off brake dust - and I think I give a slight edge to Dr Beasley. Except for an unsightly drip mark on my center lock (probably from gong through puddles) Dr Beasley seems to work a bit better in keeping off brake dust, cleaning off a little better, and looking a little better after cleaning. It was close though. Both washed off very easily - I probably could have just cleaned off the dust with a water hose, but chose to use Sonax. Overall, very pleased with both. Next test is going to be using Beasley on the fronts and Amorall on the rears, then after that, Beasley on rears and Amorall on the fronts.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:36 PM
ReinhardtK
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just recently tried the Armour All Quick Silver Brake dust repellent on my G550, it's amazing!! I get my GTS back today so I plan on trying it on the center locks. I just had new Brembo brakes installed and the pads will not dust as badly as the OEM.

Quick Reply: Damn Black GTS wheels ( Dirty )