Sponsored by:

991 cooling system capacity

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 09:14 PM
rileyj3
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 991 cooling system capacity

I recently had the misfortune of losing all the coolant in my 2014 911 Carrera due to leaving the coolant refill cap off. The auto parts store indicated I needed about 6 gallons of coolant to refill, and I have read several articles here and on other forums indicating the same. But when I took it to the dealer for a proper refill he indicated that the system only holds about 2 gallons of coolant and replaced all the coolant with Porsche coolant, charging me for only 2 gallons. So my question is: what is the actual capacity? Could the dealer be wrong?
Old 06-14-2018, 10:27 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

You didn't lose everything. I'd trust what the dealership did.

Total capacity is about 6 gallons. 3 coolant. And 3 distilled water.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:02 AM
rileyj3
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
You didn't lose everything. I'd trust what the dealership did.

Total capacity is about 6 gallons. 3 coolant. And 3 distilled water.
Thanks for your response. Here's the comment from the technician on the work order: Found wrong coolant in engine. Drained and flushed coolant. Replaced with proper coolant and bled air from system.
I was charged for 2 gallons of coolant. I don't know if it was the premixed 50-50 mix or the undiluted, but in either case the most he could have added was 4 gallons. So if the total capacity is about 6 gallons, that means the technician replaced only about 2/3 (at most) of the coolant. But when I talked to the service rep he insisted that the system capacity is only about 2 gallons,so all of the coolant was replaced. So somebody here is mistaken. May I respectfully ask how you know what the cooling system capacity is?
Old 06-15-2018, 12:08 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

I doubt they did a proper flush. The correct way to do it is to drain all the coolant, refill with water, get up to temp, drain again, repeat as necessary to get the old stuff out and then fill with the proper coolant in the proper ratio with distilled water. I also doubt that it makes much difference as for the most part coolants mix ok.

There is no way the capacity is only two gallons. If the coolant appears to be the correct color, I would not worry about it much.

Quick Reply: 991 cooling system capacity