Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are you judged at a Concourse? Help needed...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 11:06 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
Here's what I do when I wash my car to prevent this. After washing each wheel, I hit them (one at a time, immediately after washing it) with my leaf blower. Helps reduce the oxidation by tons. Then, when I'm completely done with drying my car in the garage, I take the car down my street applying the brakes a few times. Pull back in the garage and the rotors look great and there is only minor rust dust on the wheels. Take a damp microfiber to clean that up really quick.
Thank you for the tip!

Also I just bought a bottle of Hyde's Serum rust stopper. Will see how that works next time!

Originally Posted by _RS_
Wow I missed the news, great work, Alex!
Hahaha. Thanks!

Originally Posted by AAK GTS
I entered my first Concourse last week and the winning car in my group (2012 and later) was a 2018 GT3 that still had his temporary tag on it. Might as well had it judged on the showroom floor.
As I mentioned a couple of posts back, in my group there were among other cars, 3 nearly brand new vehicles, a GT3RS, a GT3 and a GTS, all with less than 500 miles (one of them with less than 100 miles...)

I would agree with you that perhaps having a brand new vehicle, right out of the dealership may make it much easier to get it to top shape, but still, not all dealers prep the cars with the same care. I chose to have my car delivered just as it came off the truck, after being on a ship for 3 weeks and sitting at the port in Houston for a week. It was FILTHY, but at least I knew that no scratches or swirls would be introduced by an improper preparation. I even had to remove some of the production tracking stickers from the windshield.

Then again, I may have had beginners luck too!
Old 06-12-2018, 03:10 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Congrats! I know exactly what the judges would say if I tried to do a concours:

”Your car is disgusting, get the hell out. We award you no points, may god have mercy on your soul!”
Old 06-12-2018, 11:01 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

AWESOME! Congratulations. Very cool.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:46 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Default Ooops I did it again ;)

Around September of last year, I signed up for another Concour from the local PCA chapter. But due to weather conditions, it got postponed twice, and finally got moved to today.

Although yesterday was raining and the weather reports said that it would be raining up to 5 am today, they decided to take a gamble and continue with the event. Luckily, it was so windy that the clouds went away just in time to have the event this morning.

I hadn't washed my car in about a month, but since I had already paid for the event and wanted to talk with some friends, I bit the bullet and starting preparing for the Concour.

My neighbors would have thought I was crazy, as everyone looked at me like an idiot for washing my car on the street, in the middle of heavy rain... well, at least I would avoid water spots

Add 5 more hours of interior cleaning and detailing, and finally had the car ready for the event.

This morning I decided to take a longer route, but one that would allow me to drive slow enough to avoid splashing all over the place on a wet road.

One more hour cleaning up last minute dirt, and here it was ready for the judges...

And to my surprise, a couple of hours later...

...we got first place once again, but this time with a score of 179.8 (vs 179.7 last time) out of 180.

What was even more surprising was reading the comments from two of the judges on the scorecard. One wrote "My favorite vehicle!" and the other "Beautiful!".

I am thrilled, and definitely one more reason I absolutely LOVE my T.

Finally, since it was all cleaned up, I decided to take a couple of extra pictures nearby:

Old 01-19-2019, 07:30 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats! What products do you use, especially the type of wax you use.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:14 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

That front-left wheel center crest is 5.5 degrees out of alignment with the valve stem cap, GTFO!

Old 01-19-2019, 08:19 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by woodranch
Congrats! What products do you use, especially the type of wax you use.
Thanks!

For the exterior I use all Wolfgang products from Autogeek. I did a DIY Uber Ceramic Coating back in April, and just applied a coat of Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant to enhance the shine.

I use the Wolfgang Uber Wash with a foam gun (low pressure gun attached to garden hose with deionized water) and dry the car with a 120 MPH blower. Finish drying with microfiber towels while spraying the surfaces with Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash diluted at 1/2 oz for 32 oz of water. This helps with drying the car, while avoiding any swirl or scratch marks.

For the interior I use Nextzett Cockpit cleaner and for the leather I use Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner followed with Dr. Beasley's Leather Cream.

Cleaning the brake dust from the wheels is a breeze using Sonax Full Effect. Works wonderfully but smells horrible. It's worth the pain...

Also remember to use Hyde's Serum on the wet brake rotors to avoid rust.

Finish by applying ArmorAll Outlast Brake Dust Repelant.

And a very, very light coat of Meguiar's purple Endurance Tire Gel on the tires.

Glass cleaned with Rain X window cleaner.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:20 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
That front-left wheel center crest is 5.5 degrees out of alignment with the valve stem cap, GTFO!

Darn it! Be right back...

Old 01-20-2019, 10:34 AM
TXC2
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Alex,

good to to see you yesterday—the car look great. How easy was the ceramic coating to apply?
Old 01-20-2019, 10:54 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXC2
Alex,

good to to see you yesterday—the car look great. How easy was the ceramic coating to apply?
Thank you! Quite a few fellow forum members yesterday at Memorial Green!

It was super easy. Much easier than I expected.

As with all paint protection products, it is all a matter of how well you prep the paint.

You need to wash the car and strip away any old wax applied in the past. Follow with a good clay bar to remove any paint contaminants.

You will want to do a paint correction too. Depending on the state of your paint it may vary from a light polish with a DA Orbiter, to a wet sanding. It all depends on what your paint looks like.

After all that, you wipe the surfaces with the prep cleaner included I the kit (basically water / alcohol mix) to remove any traces of wax, polish, etc. Then you apply the ceramic coating.

To apply, jut put a few drops of the Wolfgang ceramic coating on the included pad and apply in horizontal and vertical movements to a 2x2 ft area, and then wipe off excess with a microfiber towel. Do it slowly and carefully and it will be quite easy.

Quick Reply: How are you judged at a Concourse? Help needed...