Sponsored by:

SPASM over rolled curb?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 10:11 AM
crazybug
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I think that the backside drop-off on the ones you were looking at may hit underneath the car when the tire drops off the tall edge. The cheapest thing to do for a ramp that you can move easily is to build something simple like this board/plywood solution example, using two sections just wide enough for the tire tracks to make it lighter to carry perhaps. You could adjust the specifics board thicknesses and placements for your particular gutter.

Beyond that, the money spent of purpose-made ramps to protect the nose of your car given the price of your car and potential repair costs is money well spent.

You could also consider buying just one of the ramps I mentioned earlier and cut it in half, placing each half-section in the tire tracks. That would make it easier to store/carry and would cost half as much (assuming you have access to a circular saw or something similar).
Gotcha, thanks man
Old 06-06-2018, 09:17 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

Bag of concrete mix is cheapest, unless you have an HOA
Old 06-06-2018, 09:26 PM
crazybug
Track Day

Originally Posted by arter
Bag of concrete mix is cheapest, unless you have an HOA
Unfortunately I do
Old 06-06-2018, 11:19 PM
JR1946
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by crazybug
Will a standard 991.2 GTS(with SPASM) safely pass this rolled curb? I have read the ground clearance is 6 inch, how about using the 45 degree method?
driveway

OK, I just measured my driveway curb using a level and tape ... as you can see in photo and my rolled curb driveway (here in Arizona) seams to be lower than the one in you drawing. I am measuring 4 1/2 inches and your drawing looks more like 6 inches if I understand your drawing.

I didn't order "Front Axel Lift" on my GTS after testing a Carrera S over a few curb gutters ... but I was still worried about my newly ordered 2018 911 Carrera GTS Coupé that has the PASM Sport Suspension (the lowest GTS) for all 4 months until I finally got my GTS and drove in to my driveway without a problem (be it ... always slow at a 45 degree angle to the curb). Actually, after 3,000 careful miles I can only recall a scrapping sound a couple times without any damage ... I do watch for road dips all the time and maybe should have got the FAL ... but you still need to see the road dip and push the button at slow speed!

Sorry this may not be of much help.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:38 PM
crazybug
Track Day

Originally Posted by JR1946
driveway

OK, I just measured my driveway curb using a level and tape ... as you can see in photo and my rolled curb driveway (here in Arizona) seams to be lower than the one in you drawing. I am measuring 4 1/2 inches and your drawing looks more like 6 inches if I understand your drawing.

I didn't order "Front Axel Lift" on my GTS after testing a Carrera S over a few curb gutters ... but I was still worried about my newly ordered 2018 911 Carrera GTS Coupé that has the PASM Sport Suspension (the lowest GTS) for all 4 months until I finally got my GTS and drove in to my driveway without a problem (be it ... always slow at a 45 degree angle to the curb). Actually, after 3,000 careful miles I can only recall a scrapping sound a couple times without any damage ... I do watch for road dips all the time and maybe should have got the FAL ... but you still need to see the road dip and push the button at slow speed!

Hi JR,
Interesting. My car is exactly like yours(GTS with PASM).which I am going to take the delivery in the next few days
Did you measure from the bottom of the level to the lowest point and get 4 1/2 inch? I just googled rolled curb and found the image. I thought
6 inch is the standard cross the country, looks like not the case, I will measure mine soon.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:57 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

driveway

I have a '18 GTS w/Spasm (no FAL). My driveway goes uphill starting right at the curb, but not real steeply. The curbing is similar to this picture with a little bit more of a trough, such that the car actually dips slightly when the tires go through the trough. I have had zero problems getting in & out of the driveway while going slow, and angling a little to be safe. I had far more trouble scraping with my 981 Cayman S with sport suspension. That car was significantly lower than my 911 w/SPASM.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:19 AM
JR1946
Rennlist Member

Wink

Hi JR,
Interesting. My car is exactly like yours(GTS with PASM).which I am going to take the delivery in the next few days
Did you measure from the bottom of the level to the lowest point and get 4 1/2 inch? I just googled rolled curb and found the image. I thought
6 inch is the standard cross the country, looks like not the case, I will measure mine soon.

Hi, just to clarify my GTS couple has the PASM Sports Suspension (20 MM Lower) than the standard GTS PASM (.78 inches). I did measure from the bottom of the level (when level) setting on the sidewalk surface to the bottom of the curb dip. We don't get a lot of rain here in Arizona so our standards could be less.

What is your Porsche configurator code? I like seeing what others have ordered (mine is http://www.porsche-code.com/PJEUEXU4)

Good luck with all your dips!
JR1946
Old 06-07-2018, 12:31 AM
crazybug
Track Day

Hi, just to clarify my GTS couple has the PASM Sports Suspension (20 MM Lower) than the standard GTS PASM (.78 inches). I did measure from the bottom of the level (when level) setting on the sidewalk surface to the bottom of the curb dip. We don't get a lot of rain here in Arizona so our standards could be less.

What is your Porsche configurator code? I like seeing what others have ordered (mine is http://www.porsche-code.com/PJEUEXU4)

JR1946
Is your GTS 2018 model? I thought all 2018 GTS comes with PASM(20mm lower) as standard, however you can customize and make it only 10mm lower. I don't know the code because it is a lot car. I live in Washington which makes the curb steep
Old 06-07-2018, 12:38 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

JR1946
JR, I love that color combo. Perfect combination of sexy sporty/classy elegant.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:43 AM
JR1946
Rennlist Member

Is your GTS 2018 model? I thought all 2018 GTS comes with PASM(20mm lower) as standard, however you can customize and make it only 10mm lower. I don't know the code because it is a lot car. I live in Washington which makes the curb steep
Yep it is a 2018 ... all the couples are lower by 20 MM than Targa's and Cabriolet's and you can choose standard or less when ordering a couple if I remember correctly. My last home was in Washington and it is wet up there!
JR
Old 06-07-2018, 01:04 AM
JR1946
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nino
JR, I love that color combo. Perfect combination of sexy sporty/classy elegant.
Thanks ... I am loving the car and having so much fun with it ... can't believe I waited this long to have a 911. Currently I am trying to fix the only thing I do not like about my GTS ... that is the Satin Black GTS center-lock wheels ... they are as you know black wheels with black tires that look to me like "black holes" under the iconic red 911 body! I have tried Guards Red pinstriping on the black wheels and that looks much better. Just got a $800 quote for powder-coating the GTS wheels in a lite satin gold color ... similar to the new GT3 RS with Satin Aurum (gold) center-lock wheels. Anyway that will likely be the last little change to my red toy!
JR
Old 06-07-2018, 11:42 AM
crazybug
Track Day

driveway

I just measured mine according to your method, turn out it is 4.5 inch too. The only difference is my curb is circle shaped(cul-de-sac), I assume this won't change anything. Now time to study how to do the maneuver
Old 06-07-2018, 12:10 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

i have the same issue, esp my driveway is a slope up.... place a piece of wood block on the curb and always back out 45 degrees seems to do the trick
Old 06-07-2018, 04:29 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
In my opinion you've ordered the wrong ones... those appear to be made to go up a full curb and have a steep back edge. They are not made to fill the gutter dip like you showed. The same company you ordered from makes another that looks like the right thing for $125 each, although it appears you'd need two since each is only 4 feet wide.
See https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RPGSZM/ref=emc_b_5_i.

I'm gonna get me some of those! With my SPASM / H&R combo I scrape all the time. I'm assuming you use concrete anchors to secure them? We have a street sweeper that comes through the cul-de-sac every 3 weeks, and I wouldn't want one to get picked up by accident.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:04 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Code
I'm gonna get me some of those! With my SPASM / H&R combo I scrape all the time. I'm assuming you use concrete anchors to secure them? We have a street sweeper that comes through the cul-de-sac every 3 weeks, and I wouldn't want one to get picked up by accident.
I actually have those (or similar) and haven't put them down yet. I don't scrape if I take it very slowly and at an angle but this would be peace of mind.

I don't have street sweepers but I figured I would take them up in the fall before winter/snow. Nothing in the HOA rules say anything about the curbs so I think I might be able to get away with it. If not, they are removable.

I wasn't planning on anchors to secure - the ones I have are VERY heavy. Hard to budge. I just need to get out there and put them in place LOL!

Quick Reply: SPASM over rolled curb?