Sponsored by:

SPASM over rolled curb?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 08:32 PM
crazybug
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPASM over rolled curb?

Will a standard 991.2 GTS(with SPASM) safely pass this rolled curb? I have read the ground clearance is 6 inch, how about using the 45 degree method?
Old 06-05-2018, 08:38 PM
cas1337
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If this at your house check out the BRIDJIT driveway ramps.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:07 PM
tvad
Advanced

Originally Posted by crazybug
Will a standard 991.2 GTS(with SPASM) safely pass this rolled curb?
I don't believe it will pass over that curb without scraping. I have a 991.1 C2S with SPASM, and I have a problem scraping my lower front spoiler on a driveway with a similar rise/hump to this. I try to angle over it as much as possible, but sometimes it just doesn't work.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:25 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

On my driveway, which isn't as difficult as yours, I have to do more like a 60 degree angle with my SPASM car, but I'm fortunately enough to have a double-width driveway entrance to make this possible. At 45 degrees I'm pretty certain yours will scrape, but you should be able to hit an even steeper angle and get it to work.... if your driveway is wide enough. It's a little harder to get right backing out without at enough angle without overdoing it and catching the curb on the side of the driveway, but you can get used to it. Just watch your side mirror closely.

Don't be concerned by the fact that your outside tire will lift in the air doing this, that's not a big deal.

This best suggestion from what I see with yours is the get one of the gutter bridge/ramps like cas1337 recommended. There are some posts somewhere on the forums about those.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:19 PM
SCPgrom76
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you go slow and angled enough, you may not scrape, but 9/10 times you probably will. I just got a 991.2 GTS and find myself scraping often, even when I go really slow, but just the front plastic lip piece. Fortunately, I think just the inferior aspect of the front lip scrapes and you can’t really see it, but can just feel it if you run your fingers across underneath. With the black color of the lip, you can barely see scrapes. Having said that, I would get FAL if I was ordering the car.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:46 PM
crazybug
Track Day

Already pulled the trigger and too late for FAL I actually live at the end of cul de sac, but the curb is not exactly out of my house so I am hesitating to drop $400 for the BRIDJIT. I do found a cheap alternative:
Amazon Amazon
, just ordered one and hope it will work
Old 06-05-2018, 10:48 PM
SCPgrom76
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Already pulled the trigger and too late for FAL I actually live at the end of cul de sac, but the curb is not exactly out of my house so I am hesitating to drop $400 for the BRIDJIT. I do found a cheap alternative: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07537WVG7, just ordered one and hope it will work
It should definitely make a difference. GL!
Old 06-05-2018, 11:18 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a similar curb and a 991.2 with standard PASM and my nose scrapes even at a 45-degree angle unless I enter and leave at a dead slow speed. I have placed a couple of canvas tubes filled with recycled tires to fill the gap and that solves the problem, though it doesn't look fabulous.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:53 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a giant rolled curb like that one. If I go at a 75 degree angle slowly I will clear it. With FAL no problems (slow).

Keyword: SLOWLY.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:07 AM
tvad
Advanced

Originally Posted by Nino
I have a giant rolled curb like that one. If I go at a 75 degree angle slowly I will clear it.
You have a driveway wide enough to accommodate a 75 degree entry angle?
Old 06-06-2018, 12:14 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tvad
You have a driveway wide enough to accommodate a 75 degree entry angle?
I can go 90 degrees if I want.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:15 AM
crazybug
Track Day

75 degrees with FAL?
Old 06-06-2018, 07:30 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Already pulled the trigger and too late for FAL I actually live at the end of cul de sac, but the curb is not exactly out of my house so I am hesitating to drop $400 for the BRIDJIT. I do found a cheap alternative: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07537WVG7, just ordered one and hope it will work
In my opinion you've ordered the wrong ones... those appear to be made to go up a full curb and have a steep back edge. They are not made to fill the gutter dip like you showed. The same company you ordered from makes another that looks like the right thing for $125 each, although it appears you'd need two since each is only 4 feet wide.
See
Amazon Amazon

Old 06-06-2018, 09:20 AM
crazybug
Track Day

Good catch StormRune. The $125 one does fit better but it is also more heavy and expensive. Because the curb is not right in front of my house, I do prefer a mobile/inexpensive approach. Do you think I can get away with the cheap one by driving slow, or it might move and/or damage the tire/wheel?
Old 06-06-2018, 09:59 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

I think that the backside drop-off on the ones you were looking at may hit underneath the car when the tire drops off the tall edge. The cheapest thing to do for a ramp that you can move easily is to build something simple like this board/plywood solution example, using two sections just wide enough for the tire tracks to make it lighter to carry perhaps. You could adjust the specifics board thicknesses and placements for your particular gutter.

Beyond that, the money spent of purpose-made ramps to protect the nose of your car given the price of your car and potential repair costs is money well spent.

You could also consider buying just one of the ramps I mentioned earlier and cut it in half, placing each half-section in the tire tracks. That would make it easier to store/carry and would cost half as much (assuming you have access to a circular saw or something similar).

Quick Reply: SPASM over rolled curb?