Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

20” RS Spyder Wheels anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018 | 06:05 PM
wthensler
Instructor

Default 20” RS Spyder Wheels anyone?

Awaiting delivery on a ‘19 Cabriolet S, and I really like the platinum satin wheel color (against racing yellow). Initially I thought the standard Carrera wheels with the paint option was perfect, but I actually prefer the Spyder design. I cannot tell from the build configurator what color these are, and it won’t let me change the color to platinum satin. Is this the default color of the Spyder wheels, does anyone know?
Old 06-05-2018 | 06:39 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Yes, platinum satin. I have them, pure art and PIA to clean!
Old 06-05-2018 | 09:01 PM
feh
Instructor

Yep I have them, and it's a pain to clean them, I'd rather have the Sport 5-spoke wheels. They look great, though!

I'd love to have these RS spyder wheels in black satin, though, hides the brake dust better.
Old 06-06-2018 | 05:15 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Of all the wheels you can get on the Carrera, I think they are the best looking. Will get dirty quicker but you can enjoy a close-up when cleaning them!
Old 06-06-2018 | 07:21 AM
wthensler
Instructor

Thank you, all. I finally saw both the standard Carrera S wheels and the Spyder design, and thought the stockers looked a bit too ‘open’. So I’ll be going with the Spyder. They look like a PIA to clean, but so weer the ones on my old 5 series BMW, and somehow I managed to keep them up for more than 15 years.

Car is due in August, I’ll take plenty of pics when it arrives.

thanks again......
Old 06-06-2018 | 09:52 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ed911.2
Of all the wheels you can get on the Carrera, I think they are the best looking. Will get dirty quicker but you can enjoy a close-up when cleaning them!
They are really sharp looking wheels!
Old 06-06-2018 | 10:25 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

They are really sharp looking wheels!
I was wondering why I liked them so much, so had a think about it.

It might be because the 911 shape is curved, flowing and organic and the wheels complement this being rounded and branching. Not that many straight lines on the car and having a very geometric rim is in opposition to this, although contrast can be good sometimes. They are also quite subtle, which, again, suits the character of the car. Look nice when rotating, too.

I tried to have them on my GTS but Porsche wouldn’t fit them and I would have had to buy a complete extra set from the dealer. Now I have the car, I do admit the black CLs fit with the GTS's character, so Porsche are right, as usual...
Old 06-06-2018 | 12:17 PM
mreloc
Pro

Yep I have them, and it's a pain to clean them, I'd rather have the Sport 5-spoke wheels. They look great, though!
I, too think my spyders look good, but the Sport 5-spokes would have been my choice for their looks and relative ease of maintenance.
Old 06-06-2018 | 12:23 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

I have the 20" Spyder Wheels and they look awesome in the car. It is true that they are more difficult to clean, but you can apply a ceramic coating to them and brake dust will be easy to remove. That's what I did as soon as I received my car and until now is working OK. I use a pressure washer at home to clean my car and all of the grime comes out very easily form the wheels. I finish with a normal brush and the wheels always look clean..... plus the color helps to hide the dirt if you haven't been able to wash your car for a while.

Quick Reply: 20” RS Spyder Wheels anyone?