Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing center console trim piece

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 07:50 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Has anyone removed the stock trim and painted it flat black or some other color scheme that eliminates the glare from the sun? Anyone have the brushed aluminum version of the trim? Does that eliminate the glare from the sun? I've been thinking about changing it out and want to think through a few options.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:52 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 255 Posts

I have the brushed aluminum version of the trim for the very reason you’re asking. No problems with glare.

DaveGee
Old 06-06-2018, 09:04 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by zoiks
Has anyone removed the stock trim and painted it flat black or some other color scheme that eliminates the glare from the sun? Anyone have the brushed aluminum version of the trim? Does that eliminate the glare from the sun? I've been thinking about changing it out and want to think through a few options.
As noted, it is easy to take the trim out then plasti-dip it black or any other color and reinstall. You can even wrap it in vinyl. Beauty of these methods is that if you don't like it, it is easy to remove the plasti-dip or vinyl.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:12 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
I have the brushed aluminum version of the trim for the very reason you’re asking. No problems with glare.

DaveGee
same with me.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:37 PM
carsnob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the MAcarbon website and they show you how easy it is to switch off their carbon trim.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:54 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by keithgreer
Thanks to everyone for the helpful tips and confirming that the SA (and a tech) at the Porsche Dealer in Irvine had no idea what he was talking about.

oh he knows.....and that's gonna be 3 hrs of labor for you to pay him to find out LOL!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:12 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by keithgreer
Thanks to everyone for the helpful tips and confirming that the SA (and a tech) at the Porsche Dealer in Irvine had no idea what he was talking about.

They all play stupid when called out. 80% of the time they rip someone off.

At what?? $180hr labor rate minimum?

It's well known they cushion these hrs quite a bit. Porsche owners can afford it
Old 06-07-2018, 01:56 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

The center console as two different leather bits. The center and the side. The names for these pieces on Suncoast's site are very similar. The dealer may have quoted that...or not.
  • Console trim in leather - this replaces the aluminum in the center.
  • Replacement Center Console Trim - Leather - This would likely require fussing with the PCM (see picture)

Old 06-07-2018, 02:29 PM
PTGFAR
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Maybe he has done this trim removal before and ran into the problem that I had. Some of the clips would not let go of the posts on the trim. I had to use a steel gasket scraper to pry it off. The tangs on the clips were actually digging into the posts on the trim piece. When I applied enough force to pull the trim up, the tangs were bent upward. I had to replace the bent clips. Before I reinstalled the trim, I cut off one tang from each clip with a cut off wheel on a Dremel tool. The trim comes off easy now and still seems to stay in place.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:21 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
The 6SOL referenced above is spot on. Center trim piece comes out without need to remove anything else. It's a 5-10 minutes job if you do it yourself, but 3 hrs if you have the dealership do it. What a joke.
This.

I've removed that piece before, took 5 mins at most. You can either use the factory trim removal, or buy a full set like I did for $11.

Quick Reply: Replacing center console trim piece