991.1 GTS winter - only car

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
Lots of silly advice above.

1. Car is made in Germany to be driven year round. Manufacturer sells dedicated snow tires. Does it snow in Germany?

2. Most car washes have undercarriage cleaning systems.

3. Lots of cheap people here, if you are going to spend the money on the car, spend some on dedicated winter tires, accident can cost far more.

As for worrying about resale, I think this quote applies to Porsche also:

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Jim Glickenhaus (Ferrari Collector)

It snows in Germany and their government requires winter tires during the winter.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:38 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,202 Likes on 725 Posts

Imagine that, silly advice on the internets.

Who'd have thunk it...
Old 06-06-2018, 12:58 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
That is what put me off buying the Mercedes-Benz E Wagon. The ice storm this April, saw a Panamera spinning its wheels and going nowhere. Could have already switched back to all seasons, but definitely an AWD car.
Just spent our first winter with our 2017 E400 wagon. Sure we give up some clearance compared to the boring Outback we sold (and even more compared to my truck). But with 4 winter tires the E400 felt very stable and reliable. And on clear roads it has actual handling, unlike all SUVs and CUVs.

And it certainly has more clearance than the 964 C4 I drove year-round in Anchorage. And that car got only half-way stuck only once (when I deliberately drove it across un unpaved parking lot with about a foot of snow).
Old 06-06-2018, 10:36 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I live in Toronto and drove my Targa GTS all winter. We have similar weather, so you will definitely need dedicated winter tires and anyone who says otherwise is ill-informed. There was only one day this winter where I couldn't get my Targa out of the garage, and that was because there was about three feet of snow in front of it. If you are driving it all year it is good to have it in a garage when parked, also get a paint correction and detail/wax once a year in the Spring. AND here's hoping the Leafs get over the Boston hump next year!

YEA!
Old 06-06-2018, 10:39 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

1. Car is made in Germany to be driven year round. Manufacturer sells dedicated snow tires. Does it snow in Germany?

2. Most car washes have undercarriage cleaning systems.

3. Lots of cheap people here, if you are going to spend the money on the car, spend some on dedicated winter tires, accident can cost far more.

As for worrying about resale, I think this quote applies to Porsche also:

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Jim Glickenhaus (Ferrari Collector)

Mike Drop!
Old 06-06-2018, 04:50 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Just spent our first winter with our 2017 E400 wagon. Sure we give up some clearance compared to the boring Outback we sold (and even more compared to my truck). But with 4 winter tires the E400 felt very stable and reliable. And on clear roads it has actual handling, unlike all SUVs and CUVs.

And it certainly has more clearance than the 964 C4 I drove year-round in Anchorage. And that car got only half-way stuck only once (when I deliberately drove it across un unpaved parking lot with about a foot of snow).
Good to hear. I will probably get one as my next DD.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:19 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
Good to hear. I will probably get one as my next DD.
I think any 911 driver would be pleased with the E400 wagon. (I pushed for the E 63 S wagon, but my wife did not like it for "her" car.)
Old 06-07-2018, 06:46 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by bkrantz
I think any 911 driver would be pleased with the E400 wagon. (I pushed for the E 63 S wagon, but my wife did not like it for "her" car.)
The AMG is a great car, but I prefer the discretion of the 400, the ability to get a real three pointed star, as well as the rear facing third row.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GTS winter - only car