Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Sealant on top of PPF

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 02:11 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

So we are now protecting our paint protection film? whst is the point of coating over ppf? where does the madness end?
Old 06-04-2018, 06:48 AM
Shotgun
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r28NWHh4JIk

Carpro's Reload not for me after seeing this..
PTS-BRG, you may want to consider the "gravity" variable in that equation and exercise caution direct spraying your sensors...
Old 06-04-2018, 08:42 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
So we are now protecting our paint protection film? whst is the point of coating over ppf? where does the madness end?
It's really simple. The PPF protects the paint from stuff like rock chips. The ceramic/nano/sealant coatings make the PPF super easy to wash, and stays cleaner, longer.
The following users liked this post:
dashanin (10-07-2020)
Old 06-04-2018, 08:45 AM
Outlaw
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

sounds crazy right? All I will say is that by using a solid product it keeps the dust off of the film and does make it easier to clean and dry. These spray coatings are cheap and easy to apply.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:38 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I am being faced with this right now so any real life experience would be appreciated.

Installed full XPEL ultimate and installer is pushing me on CQuartz on top of film. He is making me a great offer (only $400 to do it), but is it worth it?
I had it put on my last car (no film direct to paint) and I felt it did absolutely nothing.

Should I do it or is it just wasted money?
My xPel installer just said to use any thing as long as it doesn't have any dyes in it. My understanding of Ceramic coatings is if it needs to be reaplied to a damaged panel it needs to be polished/wet sanded off.....but PPF shouldnt be polished I gather. I'm going to use Pinnacle I think. Might do that tonight.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:55 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

It seems to me that the most obvious answer is to use the Xpel product made specifically for this purpose. Even though I have SunTek Ultra these films are really similar, so this is my plan once the times comes. Oddly enough some of their literature recommends application every 90 days and some every 30 days. I'll just be taking the 90 day route since I'm not daily driving.
"XPEL Film Sealant is an acrylic polymer product that is purpose-made for protecting any aliphatic urethane paint protection film. Attaching itself at a molecular level, the sealant forms a hardened barrier when exposed to UV light. By sealing off the pores in the film, the sealant will reduce absorption of pollutants, tar, and pollen; as well as staining due acid rain, hard water and bugs by 90%. Because this product is engineered specifically for Aliphatic Polyurethane, it is much more durable on Paint Protection Film than other waxes and polishes. Apply XPEL Film Sealant monthly for maximum protection."
http://www.xpel.com/product/xpel-ppf-sealant-16-oz/

http://www.xpel.com/care/

But yeah, it is funny how we are protecting the protection film. But for me the PPF is largely there for impact protection. There are few things in the world that don't suffer some degradation over time, so refreshing the PPF finish every so often makes sense to me, and at $21 a bottle I figure why not.

Last edited by StormRune; 06-04-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:56 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,902 Likes on 4,824 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
It's really simple. The PPF protects the paint from stuff like rock chips. The ceramic/nano/sealant coatings make the PPF super easy to wash, and stays cleaner, longer.
Is there a sealant to put on top of the ceramic coating to protect the ceramic coating?
Old 06-04-2018, 11:15 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 711 Likes on 371 Posts

For ppf, you want to stay away from products containing dyes or cheap silicones.

weve highly recommended CarPro Reload as a stand alone product or as a maintenance product over the nano coating we apply on the film.

Not all nano coatings are the same, so do your homework in them and speak to knowledgeable installers.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:25 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
It seems to me that the most obvious answer is to use the Xpel product made specifically for this purpose. Even though I have SunTek Ultra these films are really similar, so this is my plan once the times comes. Oddly enough some of their literature recommends application every 90 days and some every 30 days. I'll just be taking the 90 day route since I'm not daily driving.
"XPEL Film Sealant is an acrylic polymer product that is purpose-made for protecting any aliphatic urethane paint protection film. Attaching itself at a molecular level, the sealant forms a hardened barrier when exposed to UV light. By sealing off the pores in the film, the sealant will reduce absorption of pollutants, tar, and pollen; as well as staining due acid rain, hard water and bugs by 90%. Because this product is engineered specifically for Aliphatic Polyurethane, it is much more durable on Paint Protection Film than other waxes and polishes. Apply XPEL Film Sealant monthly for maximum protection."
http://www.xpel.com/product/xpel-ppf-sealant-16-oz/

http://www.xpel.com/care/

But yeah, it is funny how we are protecting the protection film. But for me the PPF is largely there for impact protection. There are few things in the world that don't suffer some degradation over time, so refreshing the PPF finish every so often makes sense to me, and at $21 a bottle I figure why not.
I agree, this is getting out of hand. I thought PPF wasnt supposed to stain or absorb anything???
I just ordered some of that Carpro stuff. My Car wash/care counter is getting pretty full.....................
Old 06-04-2018, 11:35 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Is there a sealant to put on top of the ceramic coating to protect the ceramic coating?
Originally Posted by MoeMistry
weve highly recommended CarPro Reload as a stand alone product or as a maintenance product over the nano coating we apply on the film.
Yes. Moe has mention one here.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:07 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 328 Likes on 187 Posts

If we keep adding layers of protection.....pretty soon we'll all look like this....

Old 06-04-2018, 03:45 PM
Speed2000
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Chemical Guys WAC_767_16 - Clear Seal Gloss Enhancer & Protectant
Old 06-04-2018, 10:40 PM
The Boz Abides
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I have Xpel Ultimate on my entire car and only wash, dry, and hit with Griot’s Best of Show detailer afterwards. Anything else seems like overkill. I’m done with the entire process in 45 minutes.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:22 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Boz, the stripes look awesome!
Old 06-05-2018, 11:29 AM
The Boz Abides
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Boz, the stripes look awesome!
Thank you, sir.