991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wish me luck with PDK

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018 | 05:59 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Such a nice car. Have you used launch control yet?
Old 06-01-2018 | 06:03 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Penn4S, gorgeous car you got! Will look into Cobb tune with PDK upgrade package. For now stock set-up is plenty to learn anyway.
Old 06-01-2018 | 06:13 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porscheholic
How funny, that very car caught my eye at Sonnen, the price seemed right, looked like a beautiful condition car, but I dawdled a little too long (well, three days of BottleRock and lengthy recovery period afterwards didn't speed up the process!).

Let us know how you like it compared to your GTS, I would be very interested to hear your thoughts.

I've also ALWAYS been a manual guy (997.1 TT), but am ready to try PDK.
I feel lucky you enjoyed the BottleRock so much that we did not end-up competing for the car
As for the comparison at the moment it feels like completely different animal. Give me a bit of time and I am sure it reveals some details I am missing on now.

I also drive MT cars for 40+ years now and was very skeptical and hesitant to even try PDK. One old-time porschephille who raced MT Porsches spent few hours with me driving his PDK 991 2s educating me on the transmission and it helped changing my attitude to the point that I was ready for the PDK at least on PDK-only models. And then that TTS was just so much fun during a test drive, that I could not resist "Porsche ambassador" at P Marin was also very helpful. Highly recommended.
Old 06-01-2018 | 06:33 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

I'm happy for you Papa Fittig - and yes, I agree, Porsche Marin is a great Porsche dealership, have had nothing but very positive experiences with them.

I have not driven a GTS, so have no real-world experience with them, but everyone sure seems to love them, but I'm nervous that if I don't get another Turbo (I have LOVED my 997.1 TT) I will always wonder "what if" if I now choose a GTS instead of a TTS.

I've never really heard anyone complain about their 991 TTS, seems like a universally appreciated and respected sports car, by both drivers and journalists.
Old 06-01-2018 | 06:36 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Thank you everybody.

Someone mentioned luck and warranty I purchased Porsche OEM extended warranty till 2024/100K miles. The cost is 11K. It is giving me 4 more years after CPO expires in Oct. 2020 (unlimited mileage on that one). So, assuming I keep the car after 2020 (as it sure seems to be a keeper) do you guys think it makes sense to keep extended one for 4 more years or do cancel? The TTS buy was an impulse buy and I admit I did not do my homework, so no knowledge on reliability concerns for 991.1 TTS. One thing for sure it has lots of things that could go wrong.

As for the radiator grills, yes this will be #1. I even asked the dealer if they can put them on right away, but they do not carry any grills in their stock, IMO they could've made sone money if they did as GTSs and (now I know) TTSs do not come with the grills.
Here is my GTS with that upgrade

I am warming up towards PDK with every drive now. It is indeed way more fun than I would've though it was.
No way I would pay 11K for that extended warranty.
Old 06-01-2018 | 08:18 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Why not a Hellcat or Demon?
Old 06-01-2018 | 09:07 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Papa Fittig
Thank you everybody.

Someone mentioned luck and warranty I purchased Porsche OEM extended warranty till 2024/100K miles.
Given these details I can now wish you luck!

I'm jealous...
Old 06-01-2018 | 09:44 PM
computertom
Rennlist Member

I was all about a manual until I actually drove a 991.2 with a PDK and in no time, I knew it was the right car for me.

Love that blue - best non-PTS color IMHO

How long do you have to cancel the warranty? That seems pretty steep to be honest. Assuming up until the CPO expires, I'd drive it hard and see if it seems like a problem child. Hopefully not.

-Tom
Old 06-01-2018 | 11:00 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

I can cancel that Porsche extended warranty free of charge during 90 days, if I remember what the dealer finance person told me correctly. After that it would be prorated and what is worse it is till 100K miles on the odo, not after CPO or even after my current 18K miles..
Yes, 11K is a bit steep IMO too. The only good thing about it it's exact same coverage as original factory / CPO warranties or at least I have been told so. So it really boils down to how reliable these cars are..
Old 06-01-2018 | 11:09 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porscheholic
I'm happy for you Papa Fittig - and yes, I agree, Porsche Marin is a great Porsche dealership, have had nothing but very positive experiences with them.

I have not driven a GTS, so have no real-world experience with them, but everyone sure seems to love them, but I'm nervous that if I don't get another Turbo (I have LOVED my 997.1 TT) I will always wonder "what if" if I now choose a GTS instead of a TTS.

I've never really heard anyone complain about their 991 TTS, seems like a universally appreciated and respected sports car, by both drivers and journalists.
Thank you. I actually came to Porsche Marin that day to look at 2016 GTS PDK they had on the lot (and perhaps still do).

To be honest, I love NA motors and MT, but recent PDK lesson I got from that guy I mentioned earlier made me interested in trying GTS PDK and compare to my NA 991.1 GTS MT. While contemplating on getting a PDK car I also thought that if I go from NA to a FI world, then why not get a Turbo. And that TTS over there just happen to be there at right time
Old 06-01-2018 | 11:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tstafford
IMHO the PDK shines at the track. Go test it out there if you can.
it’s why I went PDK this time and no regrets. OP: great choice, use the paddles, still some fun to be had.
Old 06-02-2018 | 04:16 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

PDK in the 991 is German engineering at its best. I understand why many on RL believe that driving a manual transmission 911 is a more old school and "engaging" driving experience but the PDK in manual and even automatic mode is a blast in its own right. I have a GT3T on the way but my 991.1 GTS cab with PDK will remain my DD in traffic-congested So Cal. Count me in as a PDK fan boy.
Old 06-02-2018 | 01:05 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AnandN
Why not a Hellcat or Demon?

Joking?? I hope!
Old 06-03-2018 | 01:18 AM
jw1977
Pro

What is the PDK upgrade? I have a 991.1 C2S and don't really care for how it shifts in auto mode. It shifts way too soon for my tastes, I end up driving in manual mode most of the time.
Old 06-03-2018 | 01:57 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by jw1977
What is the PDK upgrade? I have a 991.1 C2S and don't really care for how it shifts in auto mode. It shifts way too soon for my tastes, I end up driving in manual mode most of the time.
Yeah “auto” is worthless except for track but who cares I don’t know why anyone would use it and complain about when it shifts just go to manual.

Quick Reply: Wish me luck with PDK