Sponsored by:

Advice Needed: CPO Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:02 PM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Advice Needed: CPO Requirements

HI, hoping for some input on my current situation with a new to me 2015 911 GTS. Purchased last week as a CPO vehicle. Requested CPO paperwork as part of the deal, and while the fact that it is being sold as a CPO car was written into the deal, I never received any specific CPO paperwork, other than a Carfax. Next day I return to the dealer, and learn that the car is sold as CPO, but the CPO inspection had not been completed. So now to my questions:

Anything to worry about? My concern is that the dealer comes across certain issues and hides these if it keeps the vehicle from being CPO, or they cannot CPO the vehicle due to certain issues found.
For instance, I understand a certain amount of over revs precludes a car from CPO status
Any other information that would keep a car from being CPO'd, other than the obvious?

Thank you for the input.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:50 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Did you take delivery yet? Or they still have the car pending all of the work?

I wouldn't worry about it too much, but if it all starts to feel too shady then just call PCNA and make them aware of the situation.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:04 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Yeah, it's a big friggen deal!!!! I would worry. You could have a potential "sticky" situation on your hands.

Main things of CPO.

The car might not be up to date on service required by CPO. They always have to do the next one above mileage if close.

Tire and brake/rotor requirements.

^^ the above could be worth $1,000's !!!!

Set of tires alone are $2K, service? Depending on miles possible $2K++++, brakes $1K-$2K ++++

The checklist is available with a simple online search. They're supposed to go over the whole car.

They are violating PCNA rules by not doing thorough inspection and services.

If they're capable of shady stuff like this, I wouldn't trust them with anything else.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:34 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 241 Posts

My dealer gave me a nice folder with copies of the CPo checklist with what they found and signed. I then asked for a printout from their service computers showing my VIN and the 6 year/100K warranty. They did this immediately. I just made a CPO claim for a $1800 repair and they are handling it no problem.

Bottom Line: Get a copy of the CPO checklist and then ask for a printout from their computer showing the CPO.

Here's what they gave me:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
141209123654_0001.pdf (404.7 KB, 61 views)
Old 05-31-2018, 04:43 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Oh, YES it's big deal!. Run don't walk to the dealer and have them complete the inspection and then have them walk you through the items they checked off to your satisfaction. Especially note the brakes and tires and bring along a pro if you aren't knowledgeable verifying the wear on those items. Take a look at what it costs to replace tires and brakes and you'll want to ensure if those need replacing, they do it or you are out thousands of dollars.

They've already proven they are shady, now it's time to go into the mode of helping them to get to full disclosure. If you don't have paperwork, you have nothing.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:53 PM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for the input. It does seem shady to me as well. I did have them throw in a set of new front tires as part of the deal, as the current fronts show some cracking. But I had no discussion on the brakes. I do have the car in my possession, but will want them to verify the issues and report ASAP. This is my 2nd CPO'd 911. First experience was much more like what we would all expect. I will keep you updated, and appreciate any further insight.

Grateful to have such a wonderful resource with knowledgeable willing participants.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by 2001f4s
Thank you all for the input. It does seem shady to me as well. I did have them throw in a set of new front tires as part of the deal, as the current fronts show some cracking. But I had no discussion on the brakes. I do have the car in my possession, but will want them to verify the issues and report ASAP. This is my 2nd CPO'd 911. First experience was much more like what we would all expect. I will keep you updated, and appreciate any further insight.

Grateful to have such a wonderful resource with knowledgeable willing participants.

Mileage?

Pics? Close ups of wheels and rotors?
Old 05-31-2018, 06:38 PM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Mileage is about 21K. I will get some photos of wheels and brakes.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:45 PM
STG
Race Director

At that mileage, maybe on set #2 rears. If so, should be pretty worn. Fronts were probably originals.

Why don't you post CarFax?
Old 06-01-2018, 01:05 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 311 Posts

It is my understanding that if A Porsche dealer takes a CPO car in, they do not have to recertify. They can sell it CPO as is if all maintenance is up-to-date. Of course, wear items are wear items. Brake pads, brake rotor, and tire tread condition are all visible to the buyer. Id check for the date code and N0 or N1 approval on the tires, but a guess is the dealer already did that. Not sure how the over - rev situation on a manual car is covered, but a guess is the dealer has to check that, because I that is impossible to assume or glance at to know. And the CPO does not cover battery replacement. Other than that, an existing CPO Porsche is good to go for the new buyer, if from a Porsche dealer.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:58 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts
Default independent PPI

That's some slim shady activity. Please name the dealer. At this point I would pay for an independent PPI and paint meter reading if i was not gonna simply return the car.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:33 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

Hell NO that is a huge problem, that happened to me during my Panamera purchase where for some unknown reason during their fast sales pitches etc, as I was purchasing an extended warranty, they somehow tricked and removed my CPO since I had purchased 7-year warranty.
I still had all the CPO booklets and all, I didn't find out my CPO was gone until I came in a couple months later. I took it up all the way to Porsche Corporate, who ended up making the dealership give me a blank check for any fixes or services that needed to go on that car.

Go get it taken care of now.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:55 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

When I was researching the CPO, I found several issues of folks thinking they had CPO only to find out they didn't either because it not being entered into the system or getting shafted. That's why I demanded a printout from Porsche's system as part of the deal when purchasing a CPO car.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:02 PM
kmk0303
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You 100% should ask for the CPO report. This report details the CPO inspection/findings and is sent to Porsche. It includes the techs, service managers and GM's signature.

Also, CPO cars should have their service up to date for it to be CPO'ed.

Quick Reply: Advice Needed: CPO Requirements