Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so few sport chronos in manual trans cars?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 08:24 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

More aggressive throttle mapping is not necessarily better. It makes it harder to delicately adjust the throttle during limit handling. On a Corvette, for example, throttle mapping is more aggressive in SPORT mode than in NORMAL mode. However, in TRACK mode, it's less aggressive than in NORMAL mode.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:55 AM
Elmiko
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Lots of good information, but definitely no consensus! On the whole, I think it would be neat to have, but I don't think I should automatically pass on a great car that doesn't have it.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:27 AM
kennypowers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
More aggressive throttle mapping is not necessarily better. It makes it harder to delicately adjust the throttle during limit handling. On a Corvette, for example, throttle mapping is more aggressive in SPORT mode than in NORMAL mode. However, in TRACK mode, it's less aggressive than in NORMAL mode.
for sure this can be true. To me, sport mode is perfect in the 911. Sport plus a little much

plus rev matching only engages in sport plus. Personally I almost never use it but I guess it’s neat to have. In my old e92 m3 the sport plus throttle was awful, so it does depend on the car.

i think the dynamic engine mounts are a good feature and I guess it’s a future repair cost but that seems far in the future if at all. Not worried about that. If I was worried about maintenance costs I wouldn’t buy a 911.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:36 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,881 Likes on 1,360 Posts

Originally Posted by verstraete
Nontrivial potential repair expense if kept post-warranty
One of my Dynamic Engine Mounts failed at 15K miles. $ 1,600 to replace outside of warranty. I have Sport Chrono on my MT 2014 only because it was a dealer spec car. I don't need - or want - the rev matching, can't tell the difference on dynamic engine mounts one way or the other - and basically mine is a highly glorified clock that sits as a dash wart on the car.

TAKE ME TO CHURCH !

(I also intensely dislike the burbling Walter Mitty over-run popping Porsche programmed into the cars to make wannabe racers feel like Steve McQueen).
Old 05-31-2018, 10:10 AM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,290 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
One of my Dynamic Engine Mounts failed at 15K miles. $ 1,600 to replace outside of warranty. I have Sport Chrono on my MT 2014 only because it was a dealer spec car. I don't need - or want - the rev matching, can't tell the difference on dynamic engine mounts one way or the other - and basically mine is a highly glorified clock that sits as a dash wart on the car.

TAKE ME TO CHURCH !

(I also intensely dislike the burbling Walter Mitty over-run popping Porsche programmed into the cars to make wannabe racers feel like Steve McQueen).
^ Ouch.

I do like the dynamic engine mounts, and wish they were available separately—as the car does end up handling and riding better. Porsche fought the handling vs. comfort battle with engine and subframe mounts for years, eventually using multi-durometer rubber mounts (stiff one direction, less stiff another) as a compromise. Dynamic mounts solve that issue, and I feel they are a significant upgrade for those who will really drive the car hard, as well as those who won't thanks to the added comfort. In a 7MT car, they're the only reason I'd get Sport Chrono.

But subshooter is right: There are a lot of things going on with Sport Chrono...
Old 05-31-2018, 10:18 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 67 Posts

So even with SC as has been said before it can be defeated with PSM on if you heel-toe fast enough - it's brilliant engineering.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:37 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
i don't have it either. one of the joys of a manual is that you choose how the engine behaves, not a computer.

each to their own, as ever.
+1. Why bother with MT if computer is going to take over IMO. I don't imagine I'd be able to detect/notice dynamic engine mounts.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:46 AM
kennypowers
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
+1. Why bother with MT if computer is going to take over IMO. I don't imagine I'd be able to detect/notice dynamic engine mounts.
again, with sc the auto rev matching is only active in sport plus mode

sport or normal mode has no rev matching. I do 99.9% of my driving in sport with no rev matching and tc on.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:57 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

I thought SC would be of little/no use for me as I don't track my car. For some there is value obviously.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:07 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Wow. There is a lot more going on than just that. Let me count the ways and I am sure I am missing some.

1. Rev matching
2. Improved throttle mapping
3. Dynamic engine mounts
4. relaxes the point at which PSM engages
5. G-force meter
6. Clock
7. Laptime stopwatch
8. Sport screen on PCM with lap comparisons
9. ability to download car/engine data to excel for analysis or pairing with video
10. Upshift indicator

And probably about 10 others that I forgot about.
Very good comprehensive list, Subshooter. Nice work.

Another very forgotten one is a "harder redline". Non SC cars pull power and engauge the rev-limiter prior to red-line.

I like my SC. Gives the car 3 different personalities; Clark Kent, Super Man, and some dude in between.

I've long professed, that SC is a very hard option to understand in the car buying/car buying/car building process.

Last edited by LexVan; 05-31-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:22 AM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Elmiko
I’m scanning the Porsche used car locator a few times a day looking for a 2013-2015 S with a 7 speed manual. I’m surprised at how few have the sport chrono option. From all the threads I’ve read on the topic, it’s worthwhile even with a manual trans. Why do so many original buyers pass it up?
I custom built my car and passed it up. I actually wanted the sport chrono features, but can't stand the sight of that giant useless clock in the center of the dash. It just hurts my eyes to look at it.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:22 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001f4s
I love the rev matching. Worth the price of admission to me.

Ditto. I've had quite a few MT's, and don't need to prove anything with my heel-toe capability. In fact, it always took extra finesse for my my size 13's on some of my Brit cars, especially my Spitfire 4. I really appreciate the rev matching, and with the active driveline mounts, it's really a good deal.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:28 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Lack of SC in PDK cars is usually a deal breaker in the pre-owned market.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:40 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Ditto. I've had quite a few MT's, and don't need to prove anything with my heel-toe capability. In fact, it always took extra finesse for my my size 13's on some of my Brit cars, especially my Spitfire 4. I really appreciate the rev matching, and with the active driveline mounts, it's really a good deal.
Prove anything? What does that mean? Some of us just enjoy it. SC makes more sense in PDK cars IMO.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:43 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Good news is, it's an option. Order it or not.

Quick Reply: Why so few sport chronos in manual trans cars?