Sponsored by:

It's such a long wait!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 08:03 PM
slocumda@yahoo.com
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts
Default It's such a long wait!

Their are so many of us that have spent hours and hours reading and researching our new car builds. We've watched videos and read post after post about the specific model we are wanting. And one very fine day we get the call that an allocation is available and we rush down to place our order only to be told that the actual build will start in about 4 months. According to the great thread posted by rijowysock "Everyone who has ordered a 991 Please Read" it will be another two months after the build is completed before you drive out of the dealership with your dream car. I know that time flies but other than driving the **** out of your existing Porsche while you wait, what have you all found to be the best thing to do to sooth the pain? For some I'm sure it is dreaming about all the mods you're going to do. What about you?
Old 05-30-2018, 01:48 AM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Don’t think of it as pain....reframe it.

I ordered in January and took delivery in May, found I didn’t think too much about it until I received the note from my SA that the car was finished production. Once it got on the boat things got real, up until then didn’t dwell on it.

Trust me, once you go for your first drive in a new 911, all the waiting is forgotten.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:42 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Ordered on October 30th....arrived at the dealer on April 9th...

It was originally estimated to arrive in Jan/Feb but that was pushed back to March and then finally April.

It's a long wait but ti will be more than worth it. Have fun tracking it on the boat!
Old 05-30-2018, 09:47 AM
jdedeux
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hbear
Don’t think of it as pain....reframe it.

I ordered in January and took delivery in May, found I didn’t think too much about it until I received the note from my SA that the car was finished production. Once it got on the boat things got real, up until then didn’t dwell on it.

Trust me, once you go for your first drive in a new 911, all the waiting is forgotten.
where are you located? my SA told me a week ago car was done and on its way to USA. how long did you have to wait from time SA told you it production was done to dealer arrival? SA said sometimes car will be at dealer 20-25 days prior to deliver date in the system.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:48 AM
jdedeux
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Ordered on October 30th....arrived at the dealer on April 9th...

It was originally estimated to arrive in Jan/Feb but that was pushed back to March and then finally April.

It's a long wait but ti will be more than worth it. Have fun tracking it on the boat!
how do i track the boat? would my SA know the name of the boat so i can go online and find it?
Old 05-30-2018, 03:32 PM
hbear
Racer

Yes your SA should be able to tell you those details.
Keep in mind there is a lot of buffer in the schedule. Biggest hang ups are how long it waits to get on a boot and how long it takes to clear customs/inspection when it gets to shore.

Keep in in mind the dealer will likely keep the car for a couple of days after they get it (PDI, etc).

Old 05-30-2018, 04:02 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Think of it this way - the longer it takes, the longer you have to make your money work for you. Waiting means not having to write the big check so soon.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:45 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

I've done this twice. Ordered the car and waited. Both were European delivery so I had the pain of waiting twice for each car.

Best thing you can do is the following:
1. Stay engaged on rennlist.
2. Continue to play on the configurator. (danger is that you may start second guessing your configuration)
3. Watch videos (they never get old)
4. Join PCA.
5. Track your boat. Just do a google search you will find tons of threads.

Enjoy.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:25 PM
JFerraro17
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I had one of the most painful, frustrating waits I know of....see Hurricane's dates then add a month longer on both ends! Mid-September to end of April!!

But the quote above is probably the truest thing I've ever read on this forum. Hang in there.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:34 PM
slocumda@yahoo.com
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JFerraro17
I had one of the most painful, frustrating waits I know of....see Hurricane's dates then add a month longer on both ends! Mid-September to end of April!!

But the quote above is probably the truest thing I've ever read on this forum. Hang in there.
Amen Brother!
Old 05-30-2018, 08:23 PM
slocumda@yahoo.com
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
I've done this twice. Ordered the car and waited. Both were European delivery so I had the pain of waiting twice for each car.

Best thing you can do is the following:
1. Stay engaged on rennlist.
2. Continue to play on the configurator. (danger is that you may start second guessing your configuration)
3. Watch videos (they never get old)
4. Join PCA.
5. Track your boat. Just do a google search you will find tons of threads.

Enjoy.
Great advice and I agree, except I don't have a real boat. However you could call my 2000 BMW 740i a boat, and a nice on at that. Thanks, Doug
Old 05-31-2018, 09:32 PM
uhn2000
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Just try and forget it about it, I have had to wait a lot longer for other cars I have ordered. Get busy doing what some have recommended and consider it blessing because if they were so easily available then the market and the general demand would collapse
Old 05-31-2018, 10:49 PM
kage65
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by slocumda@yahoo.com
Their are so many of us that have spent hours and hours reading and researching our new car builds. We've watched videos and read post after post about the specific model we are wanting. And one very fine day we get the call that an allocation is available and we rush down to place our order only to be told that the actual build will start in about 4 months. According to the great thread posted by rijowysock "Everyone who has ordered a 991 Please Read" it will be another two months after the build is completed before you drive out of the dealership with your dream car. I know that time flies but other than driving the **** out of your existing Porsche while you wait, what have you all found to be the best thing to do to sooth the pain? For some I'm sure it is dreaming about all the mods you're going to do. What about you?
Driving your existing porsche? I wish I had that luxury! I was told total wait time would be around 90 days, but could be 120 days. Of course Im crossing my fingers for 90. In the meantime I continue to read the forums.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:03 PM
jdedeux
Advanced

Yes your SA should be able to tell you those details.
Keep in mind there is a lot of buffer in the schedule. Biggest hang ups are how long it waits to get on a boot and how long it takes to clear customs/inspection when it gets to shore.

Keep in in mind the dealer will likely keep the car for a couple of days after they get it (PDI, etc).

i checked with SA and he did provide vessel name. found out it landed here 2 days ago!! looks like i'm maybe a couple of weeks away from being at the dealer?? landed in Rhode Island and needs to get to Michigan...anyone know roughly how long to clear customs and travel to dealer?
Old 05-31-2018, 11:27 PM
hbear
Racer

They will let you know when it clears customs. It’s a bit of a crap shoot but moving pretty quickly I think. (Not like when all the cars were held back during that VW emissions ordeal).

Up here in Canada I think my car was only waiting a day or so before clearing. There is some work at the dock (programming and such) before it gets on a truck. Keep in mind the dealership will likely need to keep the car for some time to PDI and such as well. I had mine do PPF and tint (I gave specific instructions and the installers did great work, no seams, all tucked, no stretch marks, paint correction prior, etc. ) so they had it for a working week. I didn’t mind as the car was absolutely perfect at delivery.

Wait is almost over! Super exciting, I still have a huge grin when I get behind the wheel and sure you will as well.

Quick Reply: It's such a long wait!