Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Quality Clear Wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 10:48 AM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I think the installer is more important than the product, but if all else is equal, the premium Suntek/Llumar products are the only ones that are hydrophobic. I would think that would negate the "need" for an expensive ceramic coating on top of the film. Of course, I've never understood doing that anyway.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:17 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had good experience with Xpel on three cars now. I'd second the recommendation to at least check out the new X-pel Ultimate Plus. Haven't seen it, but have heard and read good things.

As for coverage, most seem to be doing full front plus mirrors at least. I've found the front bumper cover takes most of the rock hits, though with the wide hips on the GTS, those areas are getting pounded as well.

If I were doing it again, I'd look at removing the factory film from the hips, covering them with X-pel, and adding a second layer of X-pel to replace the factory film. Not sure whether this is a problem area for 911s with standard width hips.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:50 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

It's all about the shop. Can't go wrong with XPel or SunTek. But you certainly can get a janky installer to screw it up.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:07 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for Xpel Ultimate Plus.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:18 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

For the best quality ppf job, focus on finding the most qualified professional to install and service it. If your question is based upon all installers being in a vacuum and the same, which is the best? Then, it gets a bit more complex.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:00 PM
FEYNLAB
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've had great experiences with Suntek, XPEL & STEK. As others have said, when it comes to clear bra installation, researching the installer is often more important than the actual product, so long as your getting the top of the line from those 3 companies. Do they use pre-cut kits or do they do a bulk install? Do they remove the bumpers, headlights, mirrors, door handles or just tuck in where possible? This will all determine how many "seams" and edges you will see, which will eventually lead to dirt build up. If you have a white car, this can get unsightly very quickly. Go to a few shops and inspect their work. Inspect the edges of all the panels. Look at reviews online.

Lastly, make sure that they give you a warranty card. The warranties for these companies are pretty good, but some installers don't give out warranty cards because they don't want to have to deal with issues in the future or I've even seen some shops tell you they are installing one product and are actually giving you another. Do your research.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:14 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

I know this brand isn’t popular on this board but l had my 911 wrapped with Premiemshield Elite Self Healing film at the dealer. He was willing to use any brand for wanted for roughly the same price. It came out amazing. There were several times I had to actually open up the frunk, gas tank etc to see if he really applied the film. In fact when I brough my car in locally to have it ceramic coated the installer asked me what PPF it was. He was truly impressed by the quality and install of the product.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:28 PM
FEYNLAB
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard good things about Premium Shield as well, but have no personal experience with it. Sounds like you found yourself a great installer, which again is the most important piece of the puzzle.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:55 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Shumway
I think the installer is more important than the product, but if all else is equal, the premium Suntek/Llumar products are the only ones that are hydrophobic. I would think that would negate the "need" for an expensive ceramic coating on top of the film. Of course, I've never understood doing that anyway.
Agree, the most important thing is to use a quality installer. See the other threads for some examples of really bad installs.

I have a full PPF with Suntek Ultra and am very happy with it.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:15 PM
wthensler
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FEYNLAB
We've had great experiences with Suntek, XPEL & STEK. As others have said, when it comes to clear bra installation, researching the installer is often more important than the actual product, so long as your getting the top of the line from those 3 companies. Do they use pre-cut kits or do they do a bulk install? Do they remove the bumpers, headlights, mirrors, door handles or just tuck in where possible? This will all determine how many "seams" and edges you will see, which will eventually lead to dirt build up. If you have a white car, this can get unsightly very quickly. Go to a few shops and inspect their work. Inspect the edges of all the panels. Look at reviews online.

Lastly, make sure that they give you a warranty card. The warranties for these companies are pretty good, but some installers don't give out warranty cards because they don't want to have to deal with issues in the future or I've even seen some shops tell you they are installing one product and are actually giving you another. Do your research.
excellent advice! The shop in Gainesville did a great job on the 996, and as the car will be yellow, it will show dirt on seams and edges. I will ask them these questions well in advance. If I don’t get a warm fuzzy, I won’t hesitate to go out of town. Orlando and Jax are not that far.

On a car with a MSRP just shy of a buck forty, it’s not worth skimping on the last touches.

Quick Reply: Best Quality Clear Wrap?