Sponsored by:

Best Quality Clear Wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 08:49 PM
wthensler
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Best Quality Clear Wrap?

Expecting delivery of a ‘19 Cab S in late August or early September, so already planning ahead for window tint and paint protection. I had a local shop do my existing 996 with 3M Crystalline tint, and extremely happy with it. They did the entire car, including the windshield (with a very modest reflection).

I’m inclined to go the same route with the new car, since it gets scorching hot in the Florida sunshine (tropical storms and hurricanes aside). Where I’m at a loss is paint protection. The shop offers Suntek clear wrap. I like their work, but have no experience with the Suntek product.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction? Also, are most folks doing just the bumper and hood, or the entire car? Again, it’s a Cab, so it would be sans top if I elect to do everything else......
Old 05-27-2018, 09:50 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Suntek is better than 3M I heard.

Question for you. What kind of film did they use for windshield? And did you like it?
Old 05-27-2018, 09:54 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

For paint protection film, XPEL and Suntek are the best. XPEL is a bit more durable than Suntek but Suntek is a bit more optically clear. I have XPEL on both of my cars and it has held up well. My daily driver has seen 50k miles, mostly highway, with it and it has been great.

For tint, Huper Optik or 3M Crystalline are best.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:09 PM
wthensler
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ascend
Suntek is better than 3M I heard.

Question for you. What kind of film did they use for windshield? And did you like it?
Not sure since I don’t have the paperwork with me this weekend. I do believe it is a 3M product. Technically, in FL windshield tinting is not legal, except in certain circumstances. I don’t k ow if what I have falls into the tint category. Here’s a pic for you to see.....
Old 05-27-2018, 10:11 PM
wthensler
Instructor

Oh, yes I do like it. I’m inclined to go with the same local as I do like their work. The tint is about 2 years old.....
Old 05-27-2018, 10:13 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by wthensler

Not sure since I don’t have the paperwork with me this weekend. I do believe it is a 3M product. Technically, in FL windshield tinting is not legal, except in certain circumstances. I don’t k ow if what I have falls into the tint category. Here’s a pic for you to see.....

Just to clarify, was the windshield film applied on the outside to protect it from rock chips and etc? Or was it a tint applied from inside of the car?

Btw, congrats on new purchase.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:20 PM
wthensler
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ascend

Just to clarify, was the windshield film applied on the outside to protect it from rock chips and etc? Or was it a tint applied from inside of the car?

Btw, congrats on new purchase.
Thanks, I’m looking forward to having one of the first ‘19s....The primary purpose of the windshield was to reduce glare and heat. I believe it was installed on the inside (another homework question). Black is far from the ideal color here in FL, and though I think it’s one of the best colors out there on a Carrera, I wouldn’t do it again. The Cab was a toss up between Miami Blue, Guards Red and Racing Yellow. And the winner is........
Old 05-27-2018, 10:43 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 235 Posts

I heard Saran wrap is pretty good.
XPEL on my car. Full frontal. Can’t tell it is there on a NB metallic car.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:48 PM
wthensler
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by AnandN
I heard Saran wrap is pretty good.
XPEL on my car. Full frontal. Can’t tell it is there on a NB metallic car.
I’m already way over budget on this purchase. It may just end up being Saran Wrap
Old 05-27-2018, 10:50 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

I have Suntek Ultra and think you'd be very pleased with it. It is clear, smooth, glossy, and self-healing for small scratches. I hear good things about the top-of-the-line Xpel product as well. Both seem to be quite popular on Rennlist and both have 10 year warranties on the film.

Like a search of some other threads about PPF will show the ultimate magic is the installer... but having a good product is important too.

The Suntek shop that did mine also does most of the local Ferrari's, Lambos, Aston Martins, Lotuses, Porsches, and Range Rovers as well. Without a great reputation for both the film and the installers, I don't think they'd get that much business.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:44 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Suntek ultra on both cars.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:27 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

I’ve had both Suntex and Xpel. Suntex is superior in clariaty and reacts much better with detailing sprays ( I have it coated with Ceramic Pro) because of its smoothness.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:48 AM
wthensler
Instructor

Thanks, all. Inclined to go with Suntek clear cover on front bumper, hood, rear bumper and lower sides. 3M Cristalline on all windows....
Old 05-28-2018, 10:04 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 360 Likes on 121 Posts

I would take a look at the new Xpel Ultimate Plus. Ultra clear and smooth. You can't tell it is on the vehicle.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:35 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

My dealer installed some low end 3m(cost effective I guess) film and I just had it replaced. After about 20,000 kms it was full of dings. Xpel Ultimate on bumper, hood and fenders now. Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Best Quality Clear Wrap?