Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag and seatbelt warnings followed by start/stop operation deactivated

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 04:04 PM
kilster
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Airbag and seatbelt warnings followed by start/stop operation deactivated

While driving on I-35 on a hot day (~94 deg F), I noticed sudden airbag/seat belt warning lights on the dash.

About 15 min later as I was exiting the highway, I see the auto start/stop deactivation warning message with a big triangle.

I searched for both messages appearing in sequence, but was able to find one or the other, but not both.

Since my car (2012.5 991.1 C2S) is still under CPO warranty, I will call the dealer first thing Tue, but has anyone run into this situation? If so, what was the solution? Battery? Blown fuse? Bad sensors? Thanks.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:06 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I'd say battery is a good guess.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:11 PM
kilster
Advanced

Originally Posted by LexVan
I'd say battery is a good guess.
Perhaps. I've been using Ctek to maintain my battery and it is usually fully charged within 8-12 hours in the snowflake mode. However, it is the original battery.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:01 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kilster
Perhaps. I've been using Ctek to maintain my battery and it is usually fully charged within 8-12 hours in the snowflake mode. However, it is the original battery.
I would second Lex's battery comment. Especially with the battery being the original one.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:08 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I bet it's the Airbag Controller. Mine just failed last week and had the same results. (Airbag warning, no auto start/stop, no cruise). It's at the dealer now awaiting the part being mailed from Germany.

FWIW - mine is a 2018 C2S w/ 5K miles and is three months old.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:25 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 131 Posts

From my experience this is classic dying battery. You are on borrowed time anyway so why not go ahead with replacement. Easy fit. Search the forum for battery and install info . I have used Wal-Mart for my 2 911's and Cayman.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:56 PM
kilster
Advanced

Originally Posted by tstafford
I bet it's the Airbag Controller. Mine just failed last week and had the same results. (Airbag warning, no auto start/stop, no cruise). It's at the dealer now awaiting the part being mailed from Germany.

FWIW - mine is a 2018 C2S w/ 5K miles and is three months old.
That's quite interesting. I thought it was weird that those two warnings appeared simultaneously while driving on the highway with my seatbelt fastened. BTW, my wife took the first picture.

With regards to being on borrowed time with a failing battery, that was my first suspicion after the start/stop warning. I am hoping that my CPO warranty can cover either or both situations given that the car has accumulated > 6K miles/year.

Thanks for all your responses. I will keep you informed of the status once I make a service appointment (oil change due anyway) and hear back from my SA at Porsche Austin.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:14 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

In my experience as the battery is getting old, you get a lot a pcm/lcd etc gauge blinking when you crank when the battery is ready to be replaced and stay solid when your battery is good so easy to tell before it goes kaput.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:51 AM
kilster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dewinator
In my experience as the battery is getting old, you get a lot a pcm/lcd etc gauge blinking when you crank when the battery is ready to be replaced and stay solid when your battery is good so easy to tell before it goes kaput.
I agree that the battery health can deteriorate in a nonlinear fashion. This car has been to the dealer at least once a year since born and no issues with the battery/charging system have been found so far. Even now, the car drives fine with the starting voltage of 12.0-12.3 and the charging voltage of 13.5-14.3 depending on the length of drive. Anyway, the service appointment is on June 15. I will keep everyone updated.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:15 PM
kilster
Advanced

Got the car back from the dealer today. Their diagnostic work summary:
  • Battery healthy
  • P1603 - airbag triggering fault
  • P1265 -- crash signal not working
  • Faulty airbag control unit replaced
  • Start/stop working after replacing airbag control unit
I've been driving my 987.2 BS and the loaner Macan meanwhile. Was quite impressed with Macan base, but am so happy to get my 911 back.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:08 PM
taylora
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thread resurrection
hi
i have had exactly the same today. did about 15 miles this morning which were all fine, and then 5 miles into the return journey while on the motorway in traffic the airbag and seatbelt lights came on, a few mins later when i pulled up at lights got the stop/start deactivated alerts which i had never seen before. it was warning as opposed to the sign indicating not active because of cold engine or low battery
the battery was replaced a few weeks back, but its not had much use the last few months over winter.

Probably related to this is that the fuse in d1 labelled in the manual as airbag control unit was blown, and blew immediately i put a spare in - quite properly as i saw it pop with a nice flash as soon as i turned on the ignition which suggests something rather broken.
to the op @kilster was there anything else that came up when you had this? or just the control unit needing replacing, which sounds like a job for the dealer to me.

btw. this is a 2012 manual c2s if it makes any difference, but i'd guess this sort of part is the same on all of them.

thanks
Old 03-22-2019, 12:52 AM
kilster
Advanced

In my case, no fuse was blown. The dealer replaced some control module and reset the error codes. It has been fine since then. The battery is still good with CTek connected to it once a month, requiring around 3-4 hours for the green light to appear.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:58 AM
taylora
Track Day

Originally Posted by kilster
In my case, no fuse was blown. The dealer replaced some control module and reset the error codes. It has been fine since then. The battery is still good with CTek connected to it once a month, requiring around 3-4 hours for the green light to appear.
That's very helpful thank you.
Off to the dealers I go.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:45 PM
taylora
Track Day

Default airbag control unit

hi
turns out it was the airbag control unit,which seems identical to the other occurrences

about £600 for the part and £600 in labour to confirm this, replace and code the new unit as the car is well out of warranty.
had the battery replaced a couple of weeks previously, no idea if its related, but all seems okay now.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:47 PM
kilster
Advanced

Glad to hear that and thanks for the update.

Quick Reply: Airbag and seatbelt warnings followed by start/stop operation deactivated