Sponsored by:

FIRST PORSCHE

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 08:13 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
If you're into any type of racing, you're going to regret not getting PDK(PDK is the best in the business). I'd tack on the sport package or at least add RWS.

Other than that it looks good. Nice and straight to the point. Focused on driving.
plenty of people would disagree. Yes: PDK is excellent and faster, but I’d never want to track one over a manua. Manual or bust for me for the track. Rear wheel steering is also beneficial, but I prefer to keep
it simple. No rear wheel steering means less can go wrong.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:15 AM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

Two options I have absolutely no regrets when I spec'd my '18 GTS:
  • FAL
  • RWS
Well worth the price for overall performance and piece of mind/protection.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:55 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Rear axle steering is a game changer. If you had to pick just one additional option, pick that one. Seriously.

I'm not sold on the extra complexity and cost of the FAL - the only place I scrape (2018 GTS w/ SPASM/PDCC) going straight in, is my driveway. If I take it at an angle, no problems and no scraping. YMMV.

Other options to consider:
  • Sport PASM with PDCC. SPASM lowers the car another 10mm. PDCC will keep the car flat in the corners and improve the ride - having your cake and eating it, too!
  • Heated multi-functional/GT Sport steering wheel - nice to have all the controls at your fingertips, smaller GT Sport steering wheel is amazing, perfect size
  • Sunroof, glass or steel, if you like to let the sunshine in
  • 18 way seats are incredibly adjustable - mine fit me like a glove!
  • Burmester - incredible sounding stereo
  • Power Steering Plus - gives you the ability to do autocross with only your pinky finger, will take seconds off of your FTD
  • PCCBs - no brake dust, great feel, and look amazing
  • Adaptive cruise control - for those times when you are on the highway in traffic, it's really nice for road trips. Works really, really well (better than other cars I have had with ACC)
Old 05-22-2018, 10:44 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 655 Posts

Porsche's ventilated seats work very well but aren't compatible with Alcantara. I won't order a car without them, but I also really dislike Alcantara.
RAS is very noticeable and a big plus IMO.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:44 PM
nilaz
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

As the OP mentioned this is his first Porsche.

I am waiting also delivery of my first 991.2 GTS as First Porsche.
What I have learned from this forum and long discussion with my AD (spend 3 months to finalize the configuration) is that the more options you add in a new build the more money you loose.

By personalising a new build car with many various options and Porsche quotation method you will end up with a quite expensive car that probably after 2-3 years you might want to replace it either to jump to 992 GTS or even a GT car.

As it will be your first Porsche like mine everyone told me to get RAS. The way to drive a rear engine car like 911 and turn with acceleration is unigue. It is totally different than middle engine and front engine cars.
Sunroof, leather interior, deviated stitching etc are personal taste that you have to accept that you will pay significant amount of money but as soon as you will sell the car you will get nothing back.

Porsche rules are keep it simple and drive it as much as possible.
This is my personal understanding without any effort to convince any buyer for his personal decisions.

A 911 it will be always a 911. Unigue driving experience for many many years.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:03 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

If you are spec'ing it to order, you might as well get what you want. If you are going to flip it in a few years, makes more sense to buy off the lot. Or better yet, buy CPO, if you are trying to minimize the depreciation hit.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:30 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I say spec to what you want and how you intend to use the car. As others here have provided great feedback and opinions. Take what they have stated and use that info and combine it with your intended use of the vehicle decide what you will order or purchase.

Me personally I loved and missed a manual since coming from a Panamera 4S PDK and an IS350. I daily drive my car and love manual shifting, I don't take my car to the track currently and doubt I will be doing that often that there would be a need for PDK. If I had a choice to custom order any 911, it should have the following as others have stated- would be a must-have for me.

Rear Axel Steering
Front Axel Lift
Full leather/Carbon fiber with Deviated stich.
Sport PASM with PDCC. SPASM
PCCB
Burmster (audiophile)
PDLS - Black LED lights
Park Assist(front and rear) with reversing camera
Electric slide/tilt sunroof in glass
Power steering plus
Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18 way) with Memory package (heated/ventilated)

Going away from a BMTroubleYouW, you will not look back when you get into a P-Car.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:00 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKELOWREY1988
Hi all, I'm new on the forums. I currently drive a '16 M3 and looking to upgrade to a 991.2 911 GTS. Here's my build. Am I missing anything? Please and thank you.
Guards Red
Manual
Standard Interior with Alcantara
Turbo S wheels
Sports Seats Plus (4 way)
Smoking Package
Luggage Net
Instrument/Sports Chrono Stopwatch dial in guards red
Interior Trim in Carbon Fiber
Excellent, to the point, all business configuration. Observation / suggestion - Turbo S wheels are a pain to clean if you are particular about keeping brake dust off your wheels, carbon fiber trim will blend with black interior, consider brushed aluminum for a subtle contrast. Manual is fun, I enjoy it immensely.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:37 PM
vipertom 1970
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

newbie here to subscribe to GTS build thread, I soon will order a Targa GTS and all this abbreviations are giving me a head ache. I thought buying a car was easy but I was wrong !
Old 05-22-2018, 06:49 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nilaz
As the OP mentioned this is his first Porsche.

I am waiting also delivery of my first 991.2 GTS as First Porsche.
What I have learned from this forum and long discussion with my AD (spend 3 months to finalize the configuration) is that the more options you add in a new build the more money you loose.

By personalising a new build car with many various options and Porsche quotation method you will end up with a quite expensive car that probably after 2-3 years you might want to replace it either to jump to 992 GTS or even a GT car.

As it will be your first Porsche like mine everyone told me to get RAS. The way to drive a rear engine car like 911 and turn with acceleration is unigue. It is totally different than middle engine and front engine cars.
Sunroof, leather interior, deviated stitching etc are personal taste that you have to accept that you will pay significant amount of money but as soon as you will sell the car you will get nothing back.

Porsche rules are keep it simple and drive it as much as possible.
This is my personal understanding without any effort to convince any buyer for his personal decisions.

A 911 it will be always a 911. Unigue driving experience for many many years.
When it comes to anything, the more you buy, the more you spend. Why do you assume that OP will sell his car and cares about resale?

OP, no.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:29 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 346 Posts

Hi all, I'm new on the forums. I currently drive a '16 M3 and looking to upgrade to a 991.2 911 GTS. Here's my build. Am I missing anything? Please and thank you.
Guards Red
Manual
Standard Interior with Alcantara
Turbo S wheels
Sports Seats Plus (4 way)
Smoking Package
Luggage Net
Instrument/Sports Chrono Stopwatch dial in guards red
Interior Trim in Carbon Fiber
All wrong. Well MT is good.
Alcantara sucks.
Turbo S wheels are a PITA to clean. And they cost money upfront.
4-ways seats offer no thigh support.
sport chrono dials in red??
carbon fiber interior trim?
GR will attract lots of attention and is more orange than red like CR.
It is your pick. You are supposed to like it not us.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:49 PM
MIKELOWREY1988
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN

All wrong. Well MT is good.
Alcantara sucks.
Turbo S wheels are a PITA to clean. And they cost money upfront.
4-ways seats offer no thigh support.
sport chrono dials in red??
carbon fiber interior trim?
GR will attract lots of attention and is more orange than red like CR.
It is your pick. You are supposed to like it not us.
Thanks for the feedback. I did notice the carbon fiber piece does blend in with the all the black trim. If you were in my shoes, how would you do it? Again, first P-car so that's why I'm here for suggestions.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:51 PM
MIKELOWREY1988
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are awesome. Thank you for the kind feedback. I'll put all the suggestions together and reconfigure. My goal is to keep it as simple as possible and just enjoy this thing. Anyone has 4 way seats and can comment further on it? Thanks.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:57 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

You guys are awesome. Thank you for the kind feedback. I'll put all the suggestions together and reconfigure. My goal is to keep it as simple as possible and just enjoy this thing. Anyone has 4 way seats and can comment further on it? Thanks.
The GTS already comes pretty nicely equipped. Everything else is pretty much "nice to have" lol, but certainly not essential to the experience!
Old 05-22-2018, 10:25 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

After reading all the above suggestions, there are only two items that I would recommend or not recommend. Item #457 Lane Change Assist - I use it constantly (in traffic). Adaptive Cruise Control - I heartily recommend regular CC, but I've had ACC on other cars and it drives me nuts on the highway (where you use it) every time someone passes you and your car shuts down to fall back from the other car. PCCB and RAS are very nice but you have to make the decision whether they are worth the cost to you. Many of the items depend on your taste and how you are going to use the car. I have a GTS and know that no matter what options you add, that you will be delighted with the car.

Quick Reply: FIRST PORSCHE