991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Lid won't open

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018 | 12:22 PM
Amrdg98
Track Day

Keep in mind if you knock the cable release off the lid latch the secondary or manual cable will not work. I suppose a piece of tape over the cable where it connects to the latch may work keep it connected.
I am going to test next time by putting a small extension or something in the latch with the lid up and test it before I close the lid.
Old 06-20-2018 | 08:48 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Picture request....If any of you get up in there where you can see how the cable connects to the latch could you take some good close up photo's. I've read where someone fished a cable up there with a lead ball end and was able to open the latch. I'm sure mine is disconnected at the latch. I would like some photo's to help figure out how to fish something up to the latch. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2018 | 10:04 PM
Amrdg98
Track Day

If your cable is disconnected from the latch, the manual cable with the ball on the end will not work as it is therefore disconnected - from the latch.

I will send photos when I get my car back from the dealer.

Old 06-20-2018 | 11:33 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Amrdg98
If your cable is disconnected from the latch, the manual cable with the ball on the end will not work as it is therefore disconnected - from the latch.

I will send photos when I get my car back from the dealer.

Yes, I completely understand that. That is my situation. ie- the cable is disconnected from the latch. So yes, I understand the manual cable will not work. I can't find it now but I read that someone found a way to use a used bicycle cable with a lead ball on the end to open the latch. He evidently found a way to thread it up into the pocket in the latch, pulled on it, and supposedly opened the latch. He then repaired the cable to latch joint once he could get in there. So, all of this is "alleged" but I thought I would look at the photos and see if it looks plausible. It seems like a difficult process to do but I'd like to try. I have CPO so worse case I take it to the dealer. My problem is the dealer is 80 minutes away and basically kills a day to go there, let them work on it, and then return. If I can get the lid open I can wait for them to do the final fix when I bring it in for service. If I figure it out I'll write up a process. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-21-2018 | 11:42 AM
Amrdg98
Track Day

I will figure that out when I get my car back from the dealer after the 3 hour one way drive. I would think your suggested method by using the bicycle cable to the latch could be done like an arthroscopic surgery, if you had a scope and got the bicycle cable positioned to the latch property. Now I am curious to figure it out (without getting my lid stuck again).
Old 06-21-2018 | 03:27 PM
PeteG
2nd Gear

Hi. Just joined this great forum but have been a lurker for some time. Currently drive a 2013 2S. This also happened to me during a diy oil change and dealer opened the spoiler and with a long nosed pliers lifted the lid and pulled on the cable. Reconnected the latch all for free in 15 minutes. Hope that helps a bit.

Old 06-21-2018 | 03:40 PM
Amrdg98
Track Day

Your are lucky, the 2015 Turbo S has a different spoiler.
Old 06-21-2018 | 05:10 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by PeteG
Hi. Just joined this great forum but have been a lurker for some time. Currently drive a 2013 2S. This also happened to me during a diy oil change and dealer opened the spoiler and with a long nosed pliers lifted the lid and pulled on the cable. Reconnected the latch all for free in 15 minutes. Hope that helps a bit.
I don't know how they could get to the release cable as it is underneath a black cover. Getting that black cover off with the lid open was kinda a pain. Don't know how they can get the black cover off with the lid down.
Old 06-21-2018 | 05:23 PM
Amrdg98
Track Day

I am picking up the car tomorrow. My goal tomorrow is to find out from the dealer the answer to how they did it tripped the latch.
Old 06-23-2018 | 03:13 PM
Amrdg98
Track Day

Default engine lid 991

Latch is shown through vent BUT the fans are removed

Latch

Cable release underneath cover

Manual release cable

Latch but one cable the works electric and manual release

Old 06-23-2018 | 04:57 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the pics, but how did they manage to get to the release cable and open the hood especially when the release cable is tucked inside the black Mobile 1 cap?
Old 06-23-2018 | 06:04 PM
Amrdg98
Track Day

I am waiting for a call from the mechanic. I am told he released the latch through the vents in the lid.
As to the cable ball end, use a plastic pry tool and pry up the lid on the right or passenger side then pry up the black plastic and you will see the cable and ball end.
Old 06-23-2018 | 06:36 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Interesting, not much room to work with in between the vent slates. To be able to lift the black cap through the vent slates with the lid closed is (to me) an amazing accomplishment.

It's gotta be impossible or near impossible to go the same in a GTS because the vents spacing is even smaller!
Old 06-24-2018 | 12:13 PM
Amrdg98
Track Day

1. For manual lid release such as dead battery, in order to get to cable end which is on the right side of the lid, pry up with plastic the lid then pry up the black mobile one cover and you will find the cable end.

2. If your cable came off at the latch, then the photos are showing how you may get to the latch through the vent buy yes, the fan cover is in the way. But is is a close option.
Old 05-30-2021 | 09:42 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately joined the stuck engine lid cover club today

My mistake was not flipping the secure swivel tab that keeps the lid cable in lace (after oil change)

Thanks to this and other threads, I was finally able to fabricate a hook out of a cheap dry cleaning coat hanger

Took about 5 minutes before I got lucky and was able to pull on the mechanism and release the hatch.

Sharing this here so others can benefit. DO NOT freak out and throw in the towel, think it through, use common sense, use a flash light, pry up the engine plastic cover after raising the spoiler and YOU TOO can do this (If I can).

The following users liked this post:
Mercuriell (09-04-2021)

Quick Reply: Engine Lid won't open