Sponsored by:

Carrera T Spolier Up/Down parameters

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 09:14 PM
RRRRR
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
In any Carrera with SPASM the spoiler lifts higher too so it is easily seen on my S as well.

The wing raises on a 991.2 when the car decides the intercoolers would benefit from more air flow... typically when you are being a bit more aggressive in acceleration (not necessarily flooring it) and the turbos are pressurizing and thus heating the intake charge.

Some air gets to the intercoolers with the spoiler down via the vertical slots in the deck lid, but when the spoiler is raised the intakes are fully uncovered. Another change on a 991.2 is the construction of the air dam that forms under the spoiler (and behind the intercooler intakes) when raised...forcing the air in front of the spoiler more forcefully down into the intakes.
So in that video, the GTS he compared the T with doesn't have SPASM option?
Old 05-22-2018, 09:44 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRRR
So in that video, the GTS he compared the T with doesn't have SPASM option?
I'm not sure. The wing angle varies depending upon the aero on the car, so possibly the front spoiler on a GTS would result in a different spoiler configuration even if it did have SPASM. It also appears the GTS has the mini-duck tail sticking out the back edge that probably also changes the programmed angle.

I got curious so I went and took a photo of the spoiler deployed on my 2017 S with the standard front spoiler and SPASM, and with the sunroof closed (which would result in an even steeper angle), here is a comparison of the angles on the spoilers with the photos taken from at pretty much the same camera angle. Notice the extra protrusion on the back of the blue GTS's mini-duck.

I know it doesn't really matter one way or the other, but I was curious nonetheless. I'd actually prefer it was a little lower from an aesthetics point of view.

Last edited by StormRune; 05-22-2018 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Added mini-duck observations
Old 05-23-2018, 04:08 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,322 Likes on 488 Posts

From an aesthetic point of view, I'd rather that the rear spoiler didn't rise at all. I much prefer the look of the 991 with the spoiler lowered.

But I trust the Porsche engineers to know what they're doing, so will happily put up with the automatically rising spoiler on my Carrera T.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:38 PM
RRRRR
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I'm not sure. The wing angle varies depending upon the aero on the car, so possibly the front spoiler on a GTS would result in a different spoiler configuration even if it did have SPASM. It also appears the GTS has the mini-duck tail sticking out the back edge that probably also changes the programmed angle.

I got curious so I went and took a photo of the spoiler deployed on my 2017 S with the standard front spoiler and SPASM, and with the sunroof closed (which would result in an even steeper angle), here is a comparison of the angles on the spoilers with the photos taken from at pretty much the same camera angle. Notice the extra protrusion on the back of the blue GTS's mini-duck.

I know it doesn't really matter one way or the other, but I was curious nonetheless. I'd actually prefer it was a little lower from an aesthetics point of view.

Thanks so much! That make things clearer. Different set up, spec will result in different angle of opened ducktail, may be only Porsche know what happens. But as a T owner, I'm pretty happy that duck tail erect high and shows a obvious shinny yellow line in my mirror haha
Old 05-25-2018, 11:58 AM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wing Commander
From an aesthetic point of view, I'd rather that the rear spoiler didn't rise at all. I much prefer the look of the 991 with the spoiler lowered.
Agreed. Good example of form following function.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:16 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 139 Posts

It's not the spoiler angle per se for me, it's the look it has when up...The underside is bare and black, it looks like somebody accidentally left a panel open. The 964/993/996 and even 997 I believe (can't conjure one up in my mind's eye right this second) have a sort of "bellows/accordeon panel" under the spoiler when raised... The 991 has nothing, zip, nada. Looks like the Millenium falcon flying away with the access ramp open... Granted we don't see it but it's fugly. The 992 wing looks to be even worse, taking over the fender line...

Talking about fugly, here's a 996 bellows/accordeon for you.... Still nicer than the 991' gaping hole.

Quick Reply: Carrera T Spolier Up/Down parameters