Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 GTS vs McLaren 570S (Part 1, Daily driver review)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018 | 08:28 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the review!

(Waiting for someone to complain and ask this to get moved).
Old 05-16-2018 | 08:38 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

The 570 should "win" it's double the price of a .1 GTS.
Old 05-16-2018 | 08:48 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nocturnu
570 is still under warranty and I haven't had to replace the CCBs yet. My yearly scheduled maintenance for the 570S is around $1100. I've had the transmission unit get entirely replaced, and a few sensor issues, but everything under warranty. I've but 25% of the McLaren's miles on the Porsche and 25% the track days too so it's probably not a fair comparison. I will say that the 911 brakes (non CCB) warped after the second day of tracking the car. Really frustrating and Porsche does not cover the warranty under track use. McLaren is the only manufacturer to honor their warranty under track usage AFAIK. I probably could have prevented the brakes from warping by cooling them down more aggressively after the session on track. Making matters worst, Porsche has equipped the car with a error that gets thrown when brake temperatures have exceeded expected limits which allows them to shift blame to the customer. They do not surface that error code to the customer so there is no opportunity to correct for it with more cool down laps.

I've had some minor mishaps(driver error) at the track and replaced a few plastic components underneath the car(floor panel, brake duct cover) etc... Each part + labor was a couple hundred bucks,
thanks for the resplay I avoid the Maca dealers like the plague because I know I’ll buy one on the spot.
Old 05-16-2018 | 08:49 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RDCR
So is a Huracan. But doesn't mean it would...
Old 05-16-2018 | 09:00 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Your writeup makes it sound like the GTS sounds better... I’m surprised Macca doesn’t for how much it costs.

I also find it interesting that you find the Macca is a more appropriate car as a daily. I guess it doesn’t really have the flair as an exciting weekend car that you might find in a similarly priced Italian exotic?
Old 05-16-2018 | 09:44 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Your writeup makes it sound like the GTS sounds better... I’m surprised Macca doesn’t for how much it costs.

I also find it interesting that you find the Macca is a more appropriate car as a daily. I guess it doesn’t really have the flair as an exciting weekend car that you might find in a similarly priced Italian exotic?
Having just driven one, it's astounding how comfortable the McLaren is (once you get in). The suspension.,,,it's so good. So smooth, and composed yet the same car is rock steady on the track. Incredible.

It's quieter, has more immediate torque, the transmission is amazing in auto, the steering feels better. I'm not surprised it makes an amazing daily.
Old 05-16-2018 | 11:14 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

Hahahahha, well I may have an RS coming in Lava Orange so we may not be too far off...
As an owner of a Riviera Blue 991.2 GTS, the attention I get borders on annoying (both old and young) lol. You'll see with Lava Orange
Old 05-16-2018 | 11:30 PM
K-A
Drifting

Amazing! Great taste. I’ve always been iffy on the 570’s styling (the 911’s more rounded/smooth timeless and semi “understated” look is more my bag), but I truly wish I could fit my height inside a 570S as no doubt I would be courting one.

Originally Posted by dkmesa
Next time try the 911 in orange and Mc in white and see if the attention differs lol
LOL. That I would be very interested in.

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Thanks for the review!

(Waiting for someone to complain and ask this to get moved).
Hahaha . Guess I was the lucky one, so far. Gotta love the 991 forum.

Originally Posted by RDCR
I get what you mean, for sure. Of course, ”should” is the key word. 911’s have always taken down cars that should win.

Seperately, sooner than later on the free market, that N/A GTS will be valued at a higher price than the 570S.

Originally Posted by Dewinator

On the sound front, I’m not surprised actually. I’m personally lukewarm on the McLaren turbo sounds (yet they do pull it off a lot better than some brands do), and it’s really hard to find anything that sounds better and more interesting than the GTS’s N/A flat six. Especially if you like the distinct unadulteratedly armospheric note of a flat six.

I’ve also heard that their recipe for suspension comfort and sport is second to none. As Needs said above, many have called it purely magical. O/P calling it his “happy place” resonates so much with me, as I understand exactly what he means.
Old 05-17-2018 | 01:48 AM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

I have a 570S and a GTS cab. I agree with what OP has said as well. My GTS cab is manual and maybe it would be a better DD if it was PDK, but the ride in the 570 in comfort mode is really comfortable. I don’t DD the McLaren though. Too much attention, but it is a fun car. I’ve put 11,000 miles on the GTS in 7 months so it’s not too shabby as a DD.
Old 05-17-2018 | 02:39 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

OP Really enjoyed your review. I too have a 991.1 GTS 7spd and have been really curious how the Maccas compare. My poorer version of your McL is a M4 with the turbo 6 and a DCT tranny as my daily and I agree it is a much better high speed long distance freeway cruiser with that turbo motor/auto transmission. Oh and I grew up in Walnut Creek. Northgate High School-small world

Jim
Old 05-17-2018 | 08:01 PM
Andial
Banned

Had the McLaren for ~18 months now. A good chunk of those 12K miles are track miles. Around 12 track days so far. Carbon Ceramics are still in good shape, but the Pzero Corsas that it came with are toast... Thank God. Replaced them with Michelin 4S. Can't wait to burn through the PZeros the GTS came with and replace them with the same.
No plates on it though. Makes it seem like a new car.
Old 05-21-2018 | 04:37 PM
calijax
Advanced

(first post)

Great write up and thanks for letting me drive both cars hehehe :-D Looking forward to the track day commentary!

The only other thing I'd mention is that adding to the McLaren's useability was the fact that we were able to drive it up my terrible street into my aggressively angled driveway all due to the forgiving suspension and lifter (which the GTS, regrettably, didn't have). Although I'm sure both cars could be lifter-fitted, it just drove home the 570s ease-of-use. Driving the McLaren reminded more of my Golf R (I mean, LOL) with nice and easy ride quality and extremely high ease of use vs GTS which reminds me more of my RS4 on coilovers, lots of sound and engagement.

I love both cars and would lean towards the GTS for my own applications (kid in back, prefer less attention), but man that 570s is a special beast!
Old 05-21-2018 | 05:41 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Just saw Nocturnu's Mclaren upclose at this weekend's event. Beautiful car.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GTS vs McLaren 570S (Part 1, Daily driver review)