Sponsored by:

OEM brakes replacement... options

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 11:33 AM
technivoro.us
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 911seeker
Just got another quote without me supplying parts, reputable independent shop that does Porsches mostly, 1125 fronts and 1095 rears, including discs, pads, sensors and labor.

Waiting to hear from Vertex on pricing and whether they would allow me sourcing the parts.

No generic parts are going to even come close of my car... I undertand the potengial savings, but I didn't buy a generic Porsche, I bought (and paid dearly) a branded one...
That's not bad. I paid $950 for front pads, rotors and sensors and labor at a local independent (Lexington, MA). Have a quote for slightly less for the rears.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:36 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go GiroDisc - heck of a lot better made and better looking - shoot me a note for RL pricing
Old 05-18-2018, 04:49 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Not willing to upgrade brakes they brake very well (for my needs) as they come from the factory.

I just heard from Vertex, apparently they quote "generic" parts from the same manufacturer as the Porsche ones... and significantly cheaper. Costs would be 710 for fronts and 650 for rears, total of 1,360+taxes, attractive... but as I said I want Porsche branded parts.

Will take some time to digest and think, don't plan to visit track till july, and only reason to change now is to be track ready.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:09 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't think you understand how parts work.
Porsche does not make brake pads or rotors (or many other components)

Just to clarify-
O.E.M. does stand for original equipment manufacturer.
This means they are the company that makes the part and then supplies it to Porsche.

If you buy it from Porsche , you pay for the Porsche box, name, and markup.

Example:
Brembo makes the brake calipers. Buy them from Brembo = same part , less money , says Brembo on it.
Buy it from Porsche = same part , more money , says Porsche on it.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:22 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by sugarwood
I don't think you understand how parts work.
Porsche does not make brake pads or rotors (or many other components)

Just to clarify-
O.E.M. does stand for original equipment manufacturer.
This means they are the company that makes the part and then supplies it to Porsche.

If you buy it from Porsche , you pay for the Porsche box, name, and markup.

Example:
Brembo makes the brake calipers. Buy them from Brembo = same part , less money , says Brembo on it.
Buy it from Porsche = same part , more money , says Porsche on it.

Most know this. Porsche only puts together the cars from outsourced third party parts.

Show us exact same rotors and pads as Porsche part by Brembo and $$ ??

Because Brembo makes the OEM, doesn't mean they always offer the exact same thing under Brembo brand. I haven't looked, but could very well be the case.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:06 AM
911seeker
Pro

If it was 100% clear that I was getting the same parts with the same specs at half price, it would be a no brainer, but is it?

Vertex is quoting parts from “porsche”, “sebro” and “textar”, how do I know those are the OEM, or that this particular items are as good as the original ones? Am I going to take the risk that they aren’t for 500 bucks?
Old 05-19-2018, 10:48 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

They are the identical item. Just the logo is changed.
Vendors don't offer deliberately inferior versions of their own parts to sell under their own brand
But don't take it from me, search is your friend.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:06 AM
911seeker
Pro

Apparently there are people that support both opinions without having to search much... will do my homework before I decide though
Old 05-19-2018, 03:14 PM
Z00mie
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by aCayenneFan
A trick I used for rotor replacement prior to the 2 year bleed time was to loosen the bleed fitting and push the caliper pistons back in the caliper and then tighten the bleed fitting. Replace the rotor and new pads and pump the brake pedal a few times, top off the brake fluid reservoir and everything was good to go. I don't know if this would work for ABS-equipped cars, but prior to ABS, it worked quite well.
Please tell me you're kidding?
Old 05-19-2018, 04:24 PM
MHarris
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I worked as the VP Operations for a large Tier-1 automotive parts manufacturer. Tier-1 means direct supplier to the OEM (Porsche, GM, Volvo etc). The answer regarding if the supplier manufactured / branded part is the same as the OEM branded part is "it depends". In our portfolio we had both. Some were the exact part just without the OEM branding - primarily lower volume parts that had relatively low material cost as a percentage of COGS. Other "non branded" parts were very similar to the OEM but optimized for better margin in the direct sale market IE. slightly different materials.

Sorry for not getting you to a definitive answer but this is the reality of the automotive parts marketplace.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:41 PM
911seeker
Pro

This forum is amazing

Old 05-20-2018, 12:41 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Z00mie
Please tell me you're kidding?
With non-ABS cars, it worked quite well. No mushy brake pedal (which would have indicated air in the lines) at all.

Quick Reply: OEM brakes replacement... options