Sponsored by:

Porsche PTS now $11,430!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 11:13 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porsche PTS now $11,430!?

$11,430 now for PTS???? Is this true? I just built a car on the configurator and can't believe it.

Last edited by Plavan; 05-11-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:47 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
$11,430 now for PTS???? Is this true? I just built a car on the configurator and can't believe it.
Yep, it's true.

PTS was over-subscribed (especially on GT cars, which take up a lot of the capacity), so Porsche raised the price on the GT cars first—and now it has raised the price on regular 911s by $4k~. It will be interesting to see if the Macan ($6500) and Panamera ($10k) follow suit. PTS has disappeared from the configurator for 718 and GT models.

PTS seemed like kind of a bargain at $7k on 911 Carrera models (emphasis on "kind of") in light of its price on the GT cars...and how else can you get your new 911 painted in virtually any color you want, from the factory? Especially if you actually plan the process out and have a new color approved (which might be possible on a model that isn't in demand). You won't get a repaint done well by an aftermarket shop for $7k, and that repaint will carry an even greater cost in light of the car's resale value. At $11k, I might think about ordering a Black 911 and having it wrapped in the color of my choosing—and I am sure Porsche won't be bummed if demand for PTS falls off a bit. PTS is, from what I hear, something of a nightmare for Porsche's production line...something that might be traced back to changes made to production in the Wiedeking era. To be sure, that's just a theory. The PTS Whisperer may have more to say on that...

Last edited by stout; 05-10-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:00 PM
Boulder Mike
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Bummer. I was planning on a base model in linen grey or dolphin with aluminum trim, a wiper and Fuchs (after market). Oh well.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:01 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Perhaps the price has increased because Porsche sees how much higher the PTS cars bring on the resale market.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:33 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

It’s half of a smart strategy, which would be to offer a good range of normal colors and then limit PTS by making them very expensive but available to anyone who wants them.

But why have they cut down on the number of normal colors available? Sapphire blue is gone, which appeals to lots of people, but Miami blue stays which appeals to a very limited customer base? It makes no sense.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:40 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Sapphire is gone as well as Graphite. I hope for the 2019 MY they release at least one other blue. Biscay on the new Cayenne looks to be a real nice looking color and could see it on a 911.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:51 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dewinator
It’s half of a smart strategy, which would be to offer a good range of normal colors and then limit PTS by making them very expensive but available to anyone who wants them.

Agree, and wrote about such a scenario in Panorama a couple of years ago. So much of PTS is taken up by three basic colors: Bright Orange (RS Orange, Signal Orange, Tangerine), Bright Blue (Mexico, Riviera, Acid, Club Blau, and non-PAG Voodoo Blue), and bright green (Viper, Signal, RS Green, etc). I suspect that offering one shade of each popular historic color for $4-5k or $5-6k would probably really free up the PTS program for those who truly want special colors—especially if those three plus 2-3 more rotating "Porsche History Colors" were offered.

But why have they cut down on the number of normal colors available? Sapphire blue is gone, which appeals to lots of people, but Miami blue stays which appeals to a very limited customer base? It makes no sense.
I think what we're seeing is transitional, but they did have four blues...

Trending Topics

Old 05-10-2018, 03:52 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Fritz at Porsche Marketing Research just PM'd me. At 2 hours 34 minutes this thread has set a record for rationalizing a near doubling of pure profit on an essentially zero-cost option.
Way to go, Ren..... wait. Wait a minute.... Okay. Hang on... checking 6-speed now.....
Old 05-10-2018, 04:19 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
Fritz at Porsche Marketing Research just PM'd me. At 2 hours 34 minutes this thread has set a record for rationalizing a near doubling of pure profit on an essentially zero-cost option.
Way to go, Ren..... wait. Wait a minute.... Okay. Hang on... checking 6-speed now.....
Lol. Pure profit? Essentially zero cost? Is that a hunch? Or do you have information to share?

To be fair, I haven't looked into PTS as the level some have—but I do know that it's far from a simple process. All of the parts from suppliers have to be coordinated, as they're painted off site. I don't know this, but I suspect the new carbon-fiber roof supplier for the GT2 RS may have something to do with why PAG canceled a bunch of PTS orders, offering them a PTS GT2 RS without the WP, or a WP car without PTS. There are other hassles with PTS, as well, including stopping the line to set up for colors outside of the normal offering. Not saying PTS isn't profitable or extremely profitable—nor am I saying it isn't overpriced. But I don't have the facts. What I do know is that car colors in general aren't quite as simple as they might look. Much like upholstery, there is a lot of thinking and testing that has to be done. Also: Porsche was having real problems meeting demand for PTS.

A better measure is to look at how other manufacturers are pricing their paint to sample offerings, and then weigh that against Porsche's pricing. From a BMW forum thread on Individual colors:

Semi-individual (TB, AB, CQ, etc...) ~$2k
Individual (SMB, Ferrari Red, LSB, etc..) ~$5k
Individual w/ research (something BMW has never done) $7k+
Super-special individual (Pure Metal Silver, others) $10k+

Pricing can vary by country.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:26 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 138 Posts

Thank god this is my first and last Porsche.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:34 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just took delivery of my PTS (Ice Blue Metallic) C4 and for the first -- and probably last -- time, I feel like I may have gotten a bargain from Porsche.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:40 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
I just took delivery of my PTS (Ice Blue Metallic) C4 and for the first -- and probably last -- time, I feel like I may have gotten a bargain from Porsche.
They're experts at that. Pay 3x more than you should for something, yet feel good about the deal you got.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:44 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

lets not kid ourselves, it is all about profit. Porsche charges what they can get away with. why not? they have an obligation to their shareholders to maximize profits, which they seem to be doing well at.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:47 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jaws1
They're experts at that. Pay 3x more than you should for something, yet feel good about the deal you got.
Yes, just ask those who paid big dollars to get Speed Yellow on a 996 instead of Pastel Yellow, only to have Speed made a $0 color on later 996s.

Or those who have to pay PTS money for Speed Yellow instead of Racing Yellow in order to match their Speed Yellow PCCB calipers...something I hope exactly no one has done.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:25 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

I wanted Diamond Blue Metallic on my Carrera T...alas. But am super happy with GT Silver in any case.

I suspect the change has more to due with balancing demand with supply than anything else. They had too many takers at the lower price, capacity could not keep up. A clear indication of a mispriced product (or a need to increase capacity to meet demand).

Quick Reply: Porsche PTS now $11,430!?