Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Entry and Drive - Can you add it after?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 10:49 PM
box
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Doesn't work that way

Originally Posted by 911TurboRules
Also bump for having this be default. Any way to just buy the dead key and put that in without having to take the key out of your pocket to start the car? I’d be happy with just that. Does the key need to be in the ignition to start the car?
The 'dead key' just serves as the 'push button' like in 'normal' cars that have keyless start. A radio module needs to be present to sense that the key is in your pocket. That permits the 'dead key' to start the car.

Also, the door handle has an electronic module as well, that senses the proximity of the key in your pocket and thus allows the door to unlock (or lock for that matter) when you touch it. This is a non-trivial set of equipment, especially since we are talking Porsche.

Keep in mind that the use of the 'left hand key' should not be considered a chore, but a nod to the racing heritage of the Porsche, especially the 911 series. Read this article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24_Hours_of_Le_Mans), it is explains why the key is the way it is. If you want keyless convenience, get a Mercedes.
The following users liked this post:
wkearney99 (10-18-2023)
Old 12-29-2019, 10:55 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

The G Wagon I have on order does not have keyless convenience, and I am glad it doesn't, but it does have push button start.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:58 PM
box
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
The G Wagon I have on order does not have keyless convenience, and I am glad it doesn't, but it does have push button start.
Interesting. What year? My '15 AMG had it and I loved it, but the AMG was nothing near my 911. In fact, I told the M-B dealer that the biggest problem with the AMG was lack of the Porsche crest on the hood

Sorry, but there is no substitute.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:06 PM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by box
The 'dead key' just serves as the 'push button' like in 'normal' cars that have keyless start. A radio module needs to be present to sense that the key is in your pocket. That permits the 'dead key' to start the car.
I dont think just the dead key works on a car without entry and drive, but I can check as my Cayenne has it and my 911 does not.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:16 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Originally Posted by box
Interesting. What year? My '15 AMG had it and I loved it, but the AMG was nothing near my 911. In fact, I told the M-B dealer that the biggest problem with the AMG was lack of the Porsche crest on the hood

Sorry, but there is no substitute.
2020, which was totally revamped in 2019 and only 4 parts carried over so it is a totally different from 2015. And Porsche does not make something comparable to a G Wagon so you are correct, there is no substitute, for a G Wagon.
Old 10-29-2020, 01:46 PM
schmida
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came across this thread in my research on adding keyless drive feature. My .1gts has comfort access but doesn't have the dead key option to start the car. In theory, would it be possible to add the deadkey since the car already has the wiring & antenna's for comfort access?

Seems odd that the original owner did this.
Old 10-29-2020, 02:56 PM
DOG ON
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

So, with your Comfort Access, do the doors unlock when you touch the handle? If so, then you probably do have the full system. You just need to throw one of the dummy key fobs into the terminal and you should be good to go.
Old 10-29-2020, 03:39 PM
box
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by schmida
Seems odd that the original owner did this.
They sought to retain authenticity. AFAIK Porsche is the only marque to ever do the left-hand start and the reason is historic.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:16 PM
schmida
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DOG ON
So, with your Comfort Access, do the doors unlock when you touch the handle? If so, then you probably do have the full system. You just need to throw one of the dummy key fobs into the terminal and you should be good to go.
Yes, the doors all unlock when I touch the handle. I’ll have to source one of those dead keys and give it a shot

Thanks-a-ton!
Old 10-31-2020, 03:04 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts

Easy fix. Set your seat and steering wheel to an "EXIT" position (all the way back and wheel up). Next, select Seat Memory Position 2 or 3.
DONE.
Every time you exit the car, select that memory seat position. your key should remember the last settings and will retain them upon re-entry.
Zonian (09-21-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 02:40 PM
sparta
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Bumping this.

the aftermarket is so big. Truly no one has tackled this?
wkearney99 (10-18-2023)

Quick Reply: Porsche Entry and Drive - Can you add it after?