Sponsored by:

White 991 - PPF or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 12:25 AM
seffeed
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JEllis
I will take one tonight. Mine is terrible but the original install was also terrible. My new installer was appalled.

thank you sir!
Old 05-15-2018, 09:07 AM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Here is my gas cap. Probably the worst of it and the easiest to capture in photos. Of note, there shouldn't be an edge here. According to the installer than is redoing my PPF this week. Anyways, you can see where it has lifted and dirt has gotten underneath. Keep in mind this PPF is over 5 years old.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:30 PM
seffeed
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my gas cap. Probably the worst of it and the easiest to capture in photos. Of note, there shouldn't be an edge here. According to the installer than is redoing my PPF this week. Anyways, you can see where it has lifted and dirt has gotten underneath. Keep in mind this PPF is over 5 years old.

thanks JEllis - if that’s the worst it can get, that’s not too bad to me especially given your comments on installation technique.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:38 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PPF is an effective material, but is it not worth its cost. If you want to get PPF, you should also paint correct your paint and get Ceramic Pro as well. You should use Xpel Ultimate Plus film. It should be wrapped around the edges and custom cut on the printer.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:58 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Andial
PPF is an effective material, but is it not worth its cost. If you want to get PPF, you should also paint correct your paint and get Ceramic Pro as well. You should use Xpel Ultimate Plus film. It should be wrapped around the edges and custom cut on the printer.
Agree to disagree. Having had a few cars with PPF, the material has certainly saved my paint a few times on the highway (beer cans, car parts, large rocks). While I agree, repainting a bumper, hood, or fender, might be cheaper in the short term, the overall value of the car has been potentially hurt. I specifically looked for a used 991 that had PPF, that way I knew I wasn't going to have to deal with a bunch of rock chips.

Realistically, every owner, potential owner, seller is different. If I rotated through cars quickly, especially if occasionally used, I don't think PPF would be worth it. Resale might be effected if I did have an issue but the odds are with me for short term ownership. My 991.1S will not be a short term car for me, I plan to road trip it across the country a few times, and I want to keep the original paint as protected as possible for as long as possible, despite any clarity or cut issues of the actual bra itself.

I have a 2013 BMW Individual (like PTS for BMW) RS Green E92 M3 that I have driven back and forth across the country and up and down the West coast. I have driven through sand storms, thunderstorms, locust clouds, behind trucks dropping rocks, hit cans, pieces of brick.... The paint on the front end of the car remains flawless, wouldn't have been the case otherwise. I know some folks don't care about normal wear and tear and call it "Patina", and in some ways I agree, but the majority of me hates seeing rock chips and scratches. So to me, read "my opinion", its worth it.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:08 PM
HD2pct
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is definitely no clear answer here. On my black Panamera the "self-healing" (which isn't a real thing) Xpel showed stuff that would be quite unlikely to have marked the harder paint that it was "protecting". This is a big deal, actually. You are happy to have marks on your car as long as they "protect the paint"., which frankly is not that expensive and, which remedied, would not show up on a Carfax as "oh boy, the bumper was repainted"..

The PPF that was on my black Boxster also showed stuff that would never have been seen had it struck my actual paint.

We all want to protect our cars. We love them, most of the time they are worth significant bucks, etc. Some people to the degree that they never take them out of their garages.

It's all about what kind of roads you drive on, where you live, how many miles you drive, etc. And color matters too. If it's a garage queen, as many 911s are, forget about it. If you drive on local roads at normal speeds, same thing. On interstates with trucks - think about it. If you live in Colorado and get on I-70 in April, consider bubble wrap.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:04 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
I think we've just been "told'!
Old 05-16-2018, 03:55 PM
Andial
Banned

Agree to disagree. Having had a few cars with PPF, the material has certainly saved my paint a few times on the highway (beer cans, car parts, large rocks). While I agree, repainting a bumper, hood, or fender, might be cheaper in the short term, the overall value of the car has been potentially hurt. I specifically looked for a used 991 that had PPF, that way I knew I wasn't going to have to deal with a bunch of rock chips.

Realistically, every owner, potential owner, seller is different. If I rotated through cars quickly, especially if occasionally used, I don't think PPF would be worth it. Resale might be effected if I did have an issue but the odds are with me for short term ownership. My 991.1S will not be a short term car for me, I plan to road trip it across the country a few times, and I want to keep the original paint as protected as possible for as long as possible, despite any clarity or cut issues of the actual bra itself.

I have a 2013 BMW Individual (like PTS for BMW) RS Green E92 M3 that I have driven back and forth across the country and up and down the West coast. I have driven through sand storms, thunderstorms, locust clouds, behind trucks dropping rocks, hit cans, pieces of brick.... The paint on the front end of the car remains flawless, wouldn't have been the case otherwise. I know some folks don't care about normal wear and tear and call it "Patina", and in some ways I agree, but the majority of me hates seeing rock chips and scratches. So to me, read "my opinion", its worth it.
Actually, it is the short term cars where PPF is worth it. My philosophy is to own cars long term where PPF makes less sense. If you look at the 959, or even the CGT, no PPF hasn't hurt its value.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:56 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by 911boy
I think we've just been "told'!
What does that mean?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:38 PM
TXC2
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Air bubbles?

I just had new film installed on the front of my white c2–full front and mirrors. I think I know the answer before I ask, but here it goes. I have about a dozen “air bubbles” on the hood and front bumper. Some are fairly small, about the size of a ball point pen point, and there are two larger spots about the size of a dime. I’m taking the car back to have the installer look at it, but I assume this is not usual to the installation.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:55 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXC2

I just had new film installed on the front of my white c2–full front and mirrors. I think I know the answer before I ask, but here it goes. I have about a dozen “air bubbles” on the hood and front bumper. Some are fairly small, about the size of a ball point pen point, and there are two larger spots about the size of a dime. I’m taking the car back to have the installer look at it, but I assume this is not usual to the installation.
If that is a brand new install, you might get told to wait, park it in the sun etc.... dont touch the air bubbles. Touching/poking them can cause a crease.

Quick Reply: White 991 - PPF or not?