White 991 - PPF or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 11:52 PM
seffeed
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default White 991 - PPF or not?

Hey all,

i have a white C2S that will be here soon and have gotten mixed advice from various people.

Some say white is low maintenance and Dr ColorChip will be easy to use on rock chips. They also say that PPF on white cars will yellow.

On the the other hand, some have told me that XPel products do not yellow (mainly installers) and there is a long warranty.

For what it’s worth, I live in SoCal and have not had many problems with roads here or previous cars having major rock chips. I plan on keeping this car for 3-5 years (maybe longer).

Help me settle this once and for all. Thanks.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:12 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

With where you live, the colour, and how long you plan to keep it, I wouldn't bother with film.

My dad has a white Audi A5 that is about 5 years old now and has around 100k miles on it. Even driven in our harsh Canadian prairie winters, his paint looks pretty good. And he's one of those old school guys that likes to chamois his paint after taking it to a wand wash. Never waxed or detailed, ever.

That is the beauty of white. You can mistreat it and it still looks pretty darned good!
Old 05-12-2018, 02:05 AM
Jasonpdx
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a white C2S and this was the first thing I did, no regrets. Good film should last 5 years without yellowing. I won’t own a car without it anymore, hope that helps!
Old 05-12-2018, 02:25 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I've had my white 2010 987.2 PPF with 3M and yes it does yellow, after about 6 years but is not that bad, i think if you track the car, you def want to PPF it
Old 05-12-2018, 08:33 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Within about a year, you'll see the yellowing of your factory stone guard film on the rear hips. I replaced mine with PPF.....after 3 years, it's still crystal clear on my white C2S.

If you really want "low maintenance" look into a high quality professional nano/ceramic coating.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:17 AM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in LA and have never gotten a stone chip in two years. I also considered film but don’t regret passing on it.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:52 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

The top-of-the-line films from SunTek and Xpel have a 10 year warranty against delamination and yellowing. It had held up on my last car well at the 5 year mark. Part of it may depend on how much time the car sits baking in the sun.

PPF isn't always just about protecting from rocks but can also help make cleaning easier, practically eliminate the risk of swirls/fine lines (self-healing film), and reduce risk from minor scuffs and impacts from other careless drivers in parking lots and kicked up chunks of debris on the road.

While I normally try to avoid other cars in parking lots by parking pretty far out, one decided not to avoid me and opened their door into my mirror, allowing the edge of the door to impact and scrape across the front edge of the mirror. The PPF was torn but the paint was not damaged like it most likely would have been on that front crease in the mirror. If you search the forums thoroughly you'll also find some cases where bumper repaints were avoided thanks to the PPF.

PPF. It's not just for rocks anymore.

There are a couple of recent and fairly thorough PPF threads on this same forum so be sure to check those for more discussion.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:20 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

Now sure what the color necessarily has to do with it but yes I would, it will not yellow.

if you are **** about your car and you drive them, then you will get blemishes in the paint no matter what. I live in SoCal as well and do this to all my cars.

if you want the best go see Moe at Glistening Perfection. If you want something less than the best then just yelp it. Good installer is key and there are plenty of decent guys. Like I stated if you want perfection, then Moe is your man.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:58 PM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I used suntec about 4 years ago on my white C2S.....it yellowed a bit, not dramatic, you can see if though. The new suntec “ultra” is suppose to be better and not yellow. Looking to replace mine under warranty soon. I’d heard it’s the adhesive that yellows not the film. Porsche’s are so low that they attract stones. Would not have one without it. White makes a difference with yellowing because of being so clear as other colors hide it. The ultra is pretty new and haven’t heard much about any yellowing. Others hear anything? As others have said....... Moe is the Master. Give him a call and talk with him. He’s a great guy and is the best of the best!
Old 05-14-2018, 04:29 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

If you do any highway driving you will get sandblasing so PPF is huge IMO. I was against it in the beginning but going in for fenders on Friday to complete the front clip.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:32 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,181 Likes on 623 Posts

Its not about yellowing on white cars, it about dust on the seams. On a coloured car, you barely see it. On white, you have black brake dust on every edge.

I mistakenly did the entire car, 3 months ago. It was driving me nuts. The car looked filthy all the time. So I have had it removed from the entire back of the car. I also removed it from the doors, as there was a join under the handle that would catch your finger nails every time you opened the door.

I am much happier now. In saying all of that, I had a 2 inch diameter rock fall off a truck in the other lane, come bouncing across the road. It was low and I thought, no problem, then all of a sudden it leapt up into the air and came crashing down right in the centre of my bonnet. I though F@#$. Brand new White 991.2 GTS.

I was pissed all the way home. I got home and took a look. I couldn't see anything. I expected a dent!, or a huge chip. When I took it back in under their extreme lighting, you could barely see the tiniest of marks, barely a pn hole on the film. It wasn't even visible in normal light. So the film works. I like to go to the track. Last outing I was stuck behind a little buzz box with sticky tyres, and I could hear it sand blast the front of my car, and I shivered and then smiled. Thank god for the PPF. A must for the front of the car and the side hips look way better in one piece. The factory stone flector, gets the black brake dust line around it and looks awful on white. Much cleaner with the whole side of the car done.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:09 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Do it, well worth it if you are OCD about your car. There are several excellent installers in OC.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:06 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the original 3M bra on my Pure White 991.1 (5 years old). The older films yellow. The new ones do not. I am having my film re-done with the new Xpel+ film. Clean lines and better adhesives resist lifting. About half the edges can be wrapped. I firmly believe in PPF. I specifically looked for a car with PPF when I bought my 991.1 used. While rock chips are not a guarantee, PPF does a great job keeping the front of the car looking healthy and can easily be replaced.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:00 PM
seffeed
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP here. Thanks everyone. Really helpful info. Anyone have a picture of what the PPF lines look like when dirty? I’m not super **** about dirty lines and would hate rock chips more !
Old 05-14-2018, 11:02 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by seffeed
OP here. Thanks everyone. Really helpful info. Anyone have a picture of what the PPF lines look like when dirty? I’m not super **** about dirty lines and would hate rock chips more !
I will take one tonight. Mine is terrible but the original install was also terrible. My new installer was appalled.

Quick Reply: White 991 - PPF or not?