Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help diagnose this sound....

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018 | 11:40 PM
K-A
Drifting

Default Help diagnose this sound....

Hey all. So as some of you know, my warranty is up in about a month. So I’m going over the car with a magnifying glass. I also got some pretty major services done recently (new PDK, new plugs, filters, oil change, etc.).

Since I got the plugs/filters/oil done I noticed a new periodic sound coming from the engine/exhaust area. It sounds like it shouldn’t be anything and I probably usually wouldn’t think much of it, but for reasons stated above and it being new, I figure best to make sure.

It’s hard to really make out until you know what you’re listening for. It sounds like a maybe a little “spark” or akin to the sound of a single pebble being thrown at a tin can.

The sound comes in on this video at 1 second in, 2 seconds in, and 7 seconds in. Any knowledge would be appreciated.

Old 05-12-2018 | 02:39 AM
surquhar
Racer

That sounds like the visceral, soul stirring, life changing, spine tingling, horrific pure joy of an NA motor.. Oh you said it best here;

“KA - Pure, raw, “last of,” “old school” always fares well for 911’s.”

Good luck out of warranty
Old 05-12-2018 | 08:17 AM
Bemo
Drifting

^^^ Agreed. And I find your signature annoying in that I too am now looking for the bottom part.
Old 05-12-2018 | 08:35 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

It sounds like metal expanding and contracting as your exhaust heats up, does it do this once you're at normal operating temp?
Old 05-12-2018 | 09:47 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
It sounds like metal expanding and contracting as your exhaust heats up, does it do this once you're at normal operating temp?
Yeah, it does it at full operating temp. It sounds like the normal/typical sound you hear from the cats and/or metals when a car is turned off. Only reason it’s gotten my attention is due to it happening while the car is on, at full temp, which I hadn’t heard (or noticed, but I’m pretty sure I’d have noticed since since I pay close attention to the car) before.

I’ll take it in to see if they can decipher whether or not it’s anything. But wanna do my own homework first.

Anyone think it can be related to a recent plug change at all?

Quick Reply: Help diagnose this sound....