Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield $ FYI

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018 | 10:55 PM
SMZ
Advanced

Default Windshield $ FYI

Though it seems my windshield gets pelted by rocks on a daily basis, I finally got a nasty crack after 3 years. For those interested it was $1340 all in for OEM. It would have been a few hundred cheaper for generic glass but I was paying a $500 deductible anyways so just went with OEM. Speaking with the tech (a senior guy they send for all the nicer cars who trained in Germany and even worked on some cars at the Porsche museum) the OEM suppliers have been cutting costs and the difference between OEM and generic is relatively small. Have no idea if that's valid but I'm just glad it was replaced properly. It is a little traumatic to see how much has to be disassembled and stripped off for the replacement.
Old 05-10-2018 | 11:06 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Wow! That makes me very happy that I have glass insurance with no deductible. I had to replace my windshield when the car was a month or two old because of a really bad rock chip. I used Safelite, and they said OEM was the only option they had for my GTS.
Old 05-11-2018 | 01:13 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reacher
Wow! That makes me very happy that I have glass insurance with no deductible. I had to replace my windshield when the car was a month or two old because of a really bad rock chip. I used Safelite, and they said OEM was the only option they had for my GTS.
Good for you..initially Safelite tried to use Generic glass on my 2013 991S for a huge rock chip and expanding crack picked up outside of Denver during relocation of my car last summer. Luckily my shop had issue with it and also the fact that the generic glass was defective and wouldn't fit/seal properly so they sent it back and called me. Safelite tech agreed and I went back to my insurer to specifically request OEM glass. Was approved and car looks great now.

Quick Reply: Windshield $ FYI