Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera - Track Journal!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 03:23 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by arter
Brake fluid best first step as no negatives there.
If your getting some fade and using OEM pads, then suggest limiting sessions to 25 minutes to keep them cooler.
Also, remember, pads will heat up faster as they get thinner.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:14 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 311 Posts

John Mclane: "Fluid fade -
If there is too much energy being transferred to the caliper and fluid, it can boil the fluid. These gas bubbles being compressible, the pedal travel increases and becomes "spongy" with poor modulation. (This is a gradual process with advanced warning). Solutions include: Changing brake fluid to one with a higher boiling point, using a different pad compound with better heat transfer properties, or improving the cooling to prevent the fluid from boiling."

One thing you forgot to mention that is sometimes a factor at track events. The pad is the only thermal insulation between the fluid and the red hot brake rotor. At 50% pad thickness, 50% of thermal insulation is worn away. So, running the pads down thin for economy is a no-no. Our Chicago Region recognizes that, and does not allow a car to run a track event with pads less than 50% of new pad thickness. A wise rule!
Old 07-17-2018, 05:09 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 09RedGTS
If there is too much energy being transferred to the caliper and fluid, it can boil the fluid. These gas bubbles being compressible, the pedal travel increases and becomes "spongy" with poor modulation. (This is a gradual process with advanced warning). Solutions include: Changing brake fluid to one with a higher boiling point, using a different pad compound with better heat transfer properties, or improving the cooling to prevent the fluid from boiling."

One thing you forgot to mention that is sometimes a factor at track events. The pad is the only thermal insulation between the fluid and the red hot brake rotor. At 50% pad thickness, 50% of thermal insulation is worn away. So, running the pads down thin for economy is a no-no. Our Chicago Region recognizes that, and does not allow a car to run a track event with pads less than 50% of new pad thickness. A wise rule!
Good point! Definitely watching my pad thickness.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:11 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Found some non-potato phone pics, courtesy of the event organizers!!!

Old 07-19-2018, 02:48 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

What are the best DE event tire pressures for a C2S?
Old 07-19-2018, 03:42 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

I have a C2, but I run them at 30 hot up front and 32 hot in the rear. I am sure those who are more experienced than me can chime in also though!
Old 07-19-2018, 03:54 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

what kind of tires?
Old 07-19-2018, 04:33 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Thanks for your input!!! I have some obligations that will keep me off track for the next month or so, but am planning to be back at Autobahn on 6/18.

I had a similar experience as you with tire pressures...also started out around 30 psi front, 32 rear...had to bleed them 3 times as I drove the car harder and harder and the ambient temp rose.

Castrol SRF is more out of habit than anything else...have used Motul RBF660 in past cars with great success, but have been buying Castrol lately. Will see what the best value is when I swap fluid now, but the easy button is Castrol for me. Thanks for the tips on the rear pads though...will keep an eye on them!!! Will be excited to try new pads after using these for a while.
No Complaints with Castrol SRF. I've been using it since January 2017 and love it. I had a little fade at one point, but it wasn't the fluid: I'm 99% sure it was my hardware (low pads, hot weather and a really fast and aggressive run at Sebring).
Old 07-19-2018, 09:17 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

The addiction is real...

I upgraded to Pagid RS29s and Motul 600 last year, and upgraded to SRF this year. SRF is more expensive, but also lasts longer than 600, so the prices are actually closer than just doing an ounce-to-ounce comparison. I have heard good things about Pagid RSL29s, which seem to be the new RS.

I have been starting out at 26 PSI with a hot temp of 34 PSI for PZeroes. I do not think they can handle a full 20-min session on a hot, hilly track. They completely fell off in the last three laps of the last two sessions at my last day at Palmer. They did not feel over inflated, just as though the tires were trying, and failing to grip. I will probably aim for 32 or 33PSI tomorrow, though it is a far less demanding track.

I just replaced my rears this week, and probably jumping to PS4S next year when all four corners are shot. Otherwise, I might just buy a dedicated set of 19"s wheels and track tires.

Edit to add: I am in a .1 C2S
Old 07-20-2018, 04:43 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
The addiction is real...

I upgraded to Pagid RS29s and Motul 600 last year, and upgraded to SRF this year. SRF is more expensive, but also lasts longer than 600, so the prices are actually closer than just doing an ounce-to-ounce comparison. I have heard good things about Pagid RSL29s, which seem to be the new RS.

I have been starting out at 26 PSI with a hot temp of 34 PSI for PZeroes. I do not think they can handle a full 20-min session on a hot, hilly track. They completely fell off in the last three laps of the last two sessions at my last day at Palmer. They did not feel over inflated, just as though the tires were trying, and failing to grip. I will probably aim for 32 or 33PSI tomorrow, though it is a far less demanding track.

I just replaced my rears this week, and probably jumping to PS4S next year when all four corners are shot. Otherwise, I might just buy a dedicated set of 19"s wheels and track tires.

Edit to add: I am in a .1 C2S
FWIW I was running Pzeros slight higher pressure. 34/38 hot. Switched to 19” wheels and Sport Cups cause I got addicted. Also using SRF and Pagid 29s
Old 07-20-2018, 11:52 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jon D
what kind of tires?
New OEM Pirellis...
Old 07-21-2018, 09:34 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon D

FWIW I was running Pzeros slight higher pressure. 34/38 hot. Switched to 19” wheels and Sport Cups cause I got addicted. Also using SRF and Pagid 29s
38 hot? Were the center treads wearing out prematurely? That is way too hot for tracks I have run in summer temps; my center treads were wearing a bit faster than the rest of the tire running 37 - 34 hot at the track, and 38 PSI on the street.

I agree with 19" wheels and Cup2s, or other track tires.

New OEM Pirellis...
I started at 25PSI cold and ran 32/33 hot yesterday and they felt pretty good, but Thompson is far less demanding than Palmer. They still fell off a bit toward the end of the third and fourth sessions, so they would have probably gotten killed at Palmer.

They are going to feel way too soft if you are used to running higher temps
Old 07-21-2018, 10:20 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

seems kind of wasteful no? I get the point, but have friends with decent hardware who can run their pads below half without fade. Part of that is know the car really well and being a good driver. They run consistent laps at Sebring within a second or two of each other.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:17 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid

38 hot? Were the center treads wearing out prematurely? That is way too hot for tracks I have run in summer temps; my center treads were wearing a bit faster than the rest of the tire running 37 - 34 hot at the track, and 38 PSI on the street.

I agree with 19" wheels and Cup2s, or other track tires.

I started at 25PSI cold and ran 32/33 hot yesterday and they felt pretty good, but Thompson is far less demanding than Palmer. They still fell off a bit toward the end of the third and fourth sessions, so they would have probably gotten killed at Palmer.

They are going to feel way too soft if you are used to running higher temps
just looked back through my P Zero notes. They got a little slippery at 38 note was to drop rears to 36/7 but I upgraded wheels/tires after that session. I still was able to overheat them. Anything over 38 hot got very slippery quickly. Wear was even. That was at Homestead in Miami over the winter. March I think.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:38 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
Thanks for the writeup—great to hear you had fun using your 991.2!

Another three-pedal devotee here, but PDK is very hard to beat on track. I never miss a clutch pedal on track, but I almost always miss it on the street.
I also prefer a PDK/DCT on track and a manual on the street. Unless I'm on the fwy I always use Sport or Sport Plus mode and Manual driving around town. Virtually every professional racing class has moved to paddle shifting cars as they are faster.

I'm also impressed with my Porsche C2S showroom stock on track. The suspension is surprisingly buttoned down and very predictable with the stock Pirelli's. Not sure how it will fare with stickies though.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera - Track Journal!