Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera - Track Journal!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 07:55 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Received 1,909 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
If you're tracking your Porsche that much a GT3 is the next logical step.
Hmmm...so it would seem...
The following users liked this post:
CarreraFahrer (08-14-2019)
Old 08-14-2019, 09:36 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Given that I've now owned this car for 17 months & 5 days (but mostly because I am bored at work), I thought I'd take the time to do a quick recap of my ownership experience thus far:

To date, the car has:
24,700 miles
25 track days

Consumables:
1 set of OEM front pads
2 sets of OEM rear pads
1 set of OEM Pirellis
Lots of motor oil
Lots of brake fluid
Lots of fuel

Repairs (all covered under warranty, not in order of occurence):
1) Sunroof - came off rails (was causing loud whistling noise at highway speed). Needed to be re-seated
2) Rear engine lid - stopped opening randomly. Needed a new actuator cable
3) PDK error - would not go into even gears, started randomly. Cleared and behaved normally on restart, but Porsche Technical advised my dealer to change the valve body and fluid.
4) Wastegate failure - car was underboosting, giving engine fault warning but no CEL. Attributed to damage to actuator by road salt. Both turbos/wastegates and associated ancillaries replaced under warranty by my dealer as directed by Porsche Technical.
5) Waterpump failure - car suddenly overheated during normal driving, with coolant temp shooting to 250+, oil temps to 240+. Waterpump noted to be weeping upon inspection. Per service tech, the failure was NOT similar to the "typical" 991.2 WP failures he had seen, unknown etiology at this point. Waterpump and related valves/solenoids changed per the direction of Porsche Technical.

Of note (and for those who have not followed the remainder of the thread), I do drive this car every single day in Chicago - it's seen every winter storm since my ownership, as well as numerous track days with ambient temp approaching triple digits. While I am a little surprised at some of the above failures, I (personally) don't let them get me down on the car or the brand - I drive the wheels off this thing, and it definitely sees more "severe duty" than most.

Plan to continue using this car daily until Spring 2020, when I will swap out for either a 992S, 982 CS, 991.2TT or 991.2GT3 for continued daily/track use.

As always, thoughts and questions are welcome, as I am happy to share my experiences with this wonderful car.
I have about the same mileage, but have done 49 track days.
I have gone through 12 sets of tires ( how have you only used 1 or 2?).
Coming up on my 3rd set of rotors and a lot of brake pads.
great car.
The following 3 users liked this post by arter:
CarreraFahrer (08-15-2019), fsmich (08-15-2019), JAhmed (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 09:25 AM
JAhmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by arter
I have about the same mileage, but have done 49 track days.
I have gone through 12 sets of tires ( how have you only used 1 or 2?).
Coming up on my 3rd set of rotors and a lot of brake pads.
great car.
Lol it's easy to use less tire when you're slow
CarreraFahrer (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 09:28 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 781 Likes on 454 Posts

Thats because Jibbs doesnt use brakes and runs the tires to the cord
The following 2 users liked this post by Rennolazine:
CarreraFahrer (08-15-2019), JAhmed (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 11:26 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 756 Posts

I share my car with my better half, although she doesn't abuse like I do. One set of tires per season, brake pads I lost count, replaced rotors once. In our 3rd season. Last RADE a full set of pagids pulverized by the third day. Base convertible suffers with breaking...
Old 08-15-2019, 02:39 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts

Lol it's easy to use less tire when you're slow
LOL. I was going to say the same thing. At least he’s honest!!
You might want to invest in some pro-coaching. Then screw the GT3, buy a real race car and go racing!
Old 08-15-2019, 02:45 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
I share my car with my better half, although she doesn't abuse like I do. One set of tires per season, brake pads I lost count, replaced rotors once. In our 3rd season. Last RADE a full set of pagids pulverized by the third day. Base convertible suffers with breaking...
At RA, if you’re doing it right, you’ll pulverize a set of Sport Cup 2’s in 3 days, your brakes should be fine. There are so many high speed straights to cool your brakes and only two hard brake zones, (T5 and Canada) on a 4 mile track.
I know you mentioned base brakes, but still....

Nice thread. I’ve always wondered what the long term reliability of these newer turbo engines will be like for those taking them to the track. The 9A1 has been bomb proof, Porsche really knocked it out of the park with that engine.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:56 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
At RA, if you’re doing it right, you’ll pulverize a set of Sport Cup 2’s in 3 days, your brakes should be fine. There are so many high speed straights to cool your brakes and only two hard brake zones, (T5 and Canada) on a 4 mile track.

Nice thread. I’ve always wondered what the long term reliability of these newer turbo engines will be like for those taking them to the track. The 9A1 has been bomb proof, Porsche really knocked it out of the park with that engine.
I share my car, so some days it's 8 sessions, half of it back to back. The car is heavy and builds up a lot of speed for 1 as well. Down the hill before the carrousel, the breaks went dead in my last day. Checked the pads, bare metal.

Great car to take this punishment and simply drive it home, kids on the back and all.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:52 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts

This thread is rather awesome! Subscribed!
Old 08-15-2019, 06:36 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 677 Posts

Great thread.

I have a GTS. Stock brakes are (6 pot) 350 Fr and (four pot) 330 Rear. Up graded to braided lines from BGB Mdotorsport (Spigler 6 line kit) Ran Castrol SRF from boilng the stock fluid on the first country run.
Stock pads went both front and rear at the same time. I found this unusual. I put pagid Yellows RSL29 up front but supplier couldn't get me rear so put brand new OEM in rear. 3 x 20 min sessions and the rear were on bare metal, and the front rotors turned brown. Thus the term BrownBo's. I purchased a Brembo GTS BBK 380mm fr and rear.. They run FM1000 pads (Similar to Ferrodo DS2500) Fronts lasted two track days. Rears were maybe 40% worn.

Take note, if you put the car in Sport PSM it doesn't use rear brake anywhere near as much. So to the member that is using two sets of rear to one front, switch to PSM Sport. Its much better. You don't realise how intrusive it is until you switch it half off.

I'm most likely to switch it fully off shortly. So now I run Endless ME20 front and MX72+ rear. They are excellent on the street and the best track pads I have had to date. The perfect all rounder setup. I did a full hard day yesterday and the pads were fine. Hallelujah!

3 sets of tyres in 9 track days. About to change the TrofeoR to AR-1's. A lot of guys here are having huge success with them and they are 1/3 the cost of TrofeoR's. Plan on torching quite a few sets.

I ordered the TPC harness bar. Should be here next week. Now looking for a decent seat. The Porsche ones from GT3 are ridiculously expensive. I have asked about a price on these. I will see if this si any cheaper.
But it looks cool as.

CF Seat

TPC Harness bar
The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
JAhmed (08-16-2019), tgavem (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 09:42 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

A marriage about to happen. Just need to wait another months so temperature can get into the 80’s and not 102F

9x19 and 11.5 x 19

265 for front. Still waiting on the 305 to arrive
JAhmed (08-16-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 10:21 AM
JAhmed
Drifting

LOL. I was going to say the same thing. At least he’s honest!!
You might want to invest in some pro-coaching. Then screw the GT3, buy a real race car and go racing!
LOLOL. Coaching is not a bad idea. But to be honest, I do HDPE purely for fun...no aspirations to set any records or start any racing for the time being. Just like going amusing myself by going around in circles on my days off from work

I think my car has had abnormal issues from what I am seeing throughout the rest of the forum. Seems like the rest of you guys (tgavem, etc) have had a pretty good experience in terms of reliability. To be fair, my car has never failed on track...always seems to wait a few days before exploding LOL.

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
This thread is rather awesome! Subscribed!
Thanks John!!!

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Great thread.

I have a GTS. Stock brakes are (6 pot) 350 Fr and (four pot) 330 Rear. Up graded to braided lines from BGB Mdotorsport (Spigler 6 line kit) Ran Castrol SRF from boilng the stock fluid on the first country run.
Stock pads went both front and rear at the same time. I found this unusual. I put pagid Yellows RSL29 up front but supplier couldn't get me rear so put brand new OEM in rear. 3 x 20 min sessions and the rear were on bare metal, and the front rotors turned brown. Thus the term BrownBo's. I purchased a Brembo GTS BBK 380mm fr and rear.. They run FM1000 pads (Similar to Ferrodo DS2500) Fronts lasted two track days. Rears were maybe 40% worn.

Take note, if you put the car in Sport PSM it doesn't use rear brake anywhere near as much. So to the member that is using two sets of rear to one front, switch to PSM Sport. Its much better. You don't realise how intrusive it is until you switch it half off.

I'm most likely to switch it fully off shortly. So now I run Endless ME20 front and MX72+ rear. They are excellent on the street and the best track pads I have had to date. The perfect all rounder setup. I did a full hard day yesterday and the pads were fine. Hallelujah!

3 sets of tyres in 9 track days. About to change the TrofeoR to AR-1's. A lot of guys here are having huge success with them and they are 1/3 the cost of TrofeoR's. Plan on torching quite a few sets.

I ordered the TPC harness bar. Should be here next week. Now looking for a decent seat. The Porsche ones from GT3 are ridiculously expensive. I have asked about a price on these. I will see if this si any cheaper.
But it looks cool as.
Awesome. Been following your posts in the BGB Track prep thread for the 991.2...you gotta post more pictures of the car!!!

Originally Posted by tgavem
A marriage about to happen. Just need to wait another months so temperature can get into the 80’s and not 102F

9x19 and 11.5 x 19

265 for front. Still waiting on the 305 to arrive
VERY excited to see this. 265 on the front?!?!

Please post a pic of the setup when able!!!

Thanks for the comments and feedback everyone!
Old 08-16-2019, 10:26 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I think my car has had abnormal issues from what I am seeing throughout the rest of the forum. Seems like the rest of you guys (tgavem, etc) have had a pretty good experience in terms of reliability. To be fair, my car has never failed on track...always seems to wait a few days before exploding LOL.
What sort of issues have you had? I will go back and read through again; i apologize if i missed it!
Old 08-16-2019, 10:28 AM
JAhmed
Drifting

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
What sort of issues have you had? I will go back and read through again; i apologize if i missed it!
No problem man! Copied from previous post:

1) Sunroof - came off rails (was causing loud whistling noise at highway speed). Needed to be re-seated
3) PDK error - would not go into even gears, started randomly. Cleared and behaved normally on restart, but Porsche Technical advised my dealer to change the valve body and fluid.
4) Wastegate failure - car was underboosting, giving engine fault warning but no CEL. Attributed to damage to actuator by road salt. Both turbos/wastegates and associated ancillaries replaced under warranty by my dealer as directed by Porsche Technical.
5) Waterpump failure - car suddenly overheated during normal driving, with coolant temp shooting to 250+, oil temps to 240+. Waterpump noted to be weeping upon inspection. Per service tech, the failure was NOT similar to the "typical" 991.2 WP failures he had seen, unknown etiology at this point. Waterpump and related valves/solenoids changed per the direction of Porsche Technical.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:45 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No problem man! Copied from previous post:

#4 & #5 are new things of which i have never heard. I wonder if they're just freak occurences. While the PDK issues plague a lot of other cars, i didn't think it was an issue on the newest of the new. The valve body is usually the culprit though and when it isn't, the entire box needs to be swapped. How many track days do you have on the car? Thanks again for the info...i had missed those points. #1 and #2 shouldn't happen but sometimes, things happen.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera - Track Journal!